Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Resources Link to FT Thread on the 14-Day Quarantine for Arriving Visitors and Returning Residents to the State of Hawai`i: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...26-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
In practice, a state or even city doesn’t need to prevent travel from other states. Just enforce the shelter in place regulations. Welcome to Hotel California.
Lets assume the three week long shelter in place orders spreading across California successfully "smoke out" the infected cases. At their conclusion, there will need to be inbound travel restrictions to prevent new infections from coming in and starting the cycle all over again. California is in a fairly unique geographic situation with only a limited number of roads entering the state - and agricultural inspection stations already present on most of them. And of course air travel is easy to restrict.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In hospitals, they are compartmentalizing areas to avoid mass infection. Countries are doing it now to isolate the cases. Country borders are kind of artificial boundaries. So, if we are stopping things between Germany and France, between US and Canada, how about cities / regions / states in the US?

It would be really bad for our psyche if the US gets to that point. However, logically, I feel/fear it will probably have to happen to a certain extent to help slowing the transmission.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by username
In hospitals, they are compartmentalizing areas to avoid mass infection. Countries are doing it now to isolate the cases. Country borders are kind of artificial boundaries. So, if we are stopping things between Germany and France, between US and Canada, how about cities / regions / states in the US?

It would be really bad for our psyche if the US gets to that point. However, logically, I feel/fear it will probably have to happen to a certain extent to help slowing the transmission.
I'm not so sure. How much of the transmission is coming from travel at this point vs. community spread? Every state has it and most of them it's spreading via community contacts at this point. Flying is alraedy running at 20% capacity with airports barren, so it's unlikely there is much if any transmission occurring at that route as people can easily maintain appropriate distance from one another, even on flights where you're geting entire rows to yourself. Is it worth it to spook the industry and markets even further by restricting travel when you're getting minimal benefit in terms of controlling further spread?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I'm not so sure. How much of the transmission is coming from travel at this point vs. community spread? Every state has it and most of them it's spreading via community contacts at this point. Flying is alraedy running at 20% capacity with airports barren, so it's unlikely there is much if any transmission occurring at that route as people can easily maintain appropriate distance from one another, even on flights where you're geting entire rows to yourself. Is it worth it to spook the industry and markets even further by restricting travel when you're getting minimal benefit in terms of controlling further spread?
I think that is a fair point. The goal of suppression and mitigation measures is to bring down the R0 value. As the Imperial College study shows, different measures have different impact, and intra-state travel restrictions may not add enough value to justify the cost. Of course, I bet no one here would really be able to calculate either the impact on R0 or the economic cost, so it’s all speculation...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Worldwide travel alert by the US Department of State: Global Level 4, Do Not Travel.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ory-issue.html

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 20, 2020 at 1:17 pm Reason: Remove title after merge
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
For citizens in cities/States with stay-at-home orders - can we travel?

Some cities and now full States (e.g. California) have safer-at-home orders now. Are people in these cities and States (specifically CA) allowed to get on a plane to travel to a State/City without such an order for leisure travel? (i.e., non-essential)?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Seriously?

===

Anyway, the day I'll fly home, there's likely such an order in place. Airport->house?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Wondering if a friend can come visit. Why sit in our homes alone... but are they allowed to?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:15 pm

No. Those in the 7 SF Bay Area counties may not travel for leisure. This includes residents, not just citizens.
https://sf.gov/stay-home-except-essential-needs

Air travel

You can travel in and out of only to perform essential activities, operate essential businesses, or to maintain essential governmental functions.

Otherwise, do not travel. Travel puts you and others in the community at risk.

Returning to the Bay Area

People currently on vacation can return home. Maintain social distancing on your way home. Then stay in your home for the duration of this order.

If you prefer to shelter in place at your current location, you are encouraged to follow these recommendations while outside San Francisco to protect yourself and others.

Leaving the Bay Area

Do not travel. The Order requires that you shelter in your place of residence.

If you leave the Bay Area for vacation or any other non-essential purpose, you may not be permitted to return to your residence.

Traveling runs the risk of spreading the virus to other areas and exposing new populations.

If you live outside of San Francisco but need to come here, you are allowed to travel to and from an essential business, like a medical appointment.

Returning to a home outside the Bay Area

If you are currently visiting the Bay Area, do your best to avoid spreading the risk of the virus.

If you have a car and can return home via travel, do so if you follow social distancing of at least 6 feet.

If you have a flight or other travel, check first to see if your carrier is still operating and what protocols they require.

If you need to stay longer, coordinate with your accommodations as best you can.

Shelter in place when you arrive at your destination to avoid infecting anyone else in your home community.

CA Guidelines
https://covid19.ca.gov/
TravelinSperry and PAX_fips like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
No. Those in the 7 SF Bay Area counties may not travel for leisure. This includes residents, not just citizens.
https://sf.gov/stay-home-except-essential-needs

CA Guidelines
https://covid19.ca.gov/
Thanks, that's the info I was looking for
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Passport Processing (USA)

Below is what is posted to https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...passports.html as of today.

I had sent my passport in for renewal (standard processing) 6 weeks ago. My status on https://passportstatus.state.gov/ shows "The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 02/10/2020. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.You requested routine service when you applied, which we are currently processing in 6-8 weeks.".

It's not clear to me whether they are continuing to process the existing backlog of in-process applications received before 3/19, or whether everything except emergency applications is on hold.

I have no plans to travel internationally, but I do have a 90 year old mother who lives overseas, and should anything happen, it's be nice to have a valid passport in hand, rather than having to start an emergency expediting after the fact.

Passport Operations in Response to COVID-19

*Updated March 19, 2020*

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel at this time due to the global impact of COVID-19. Many areas throughout the world are now experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and taking action that may limit traveler mobility, including quarantines and border restrictions. Even countries, jurisdictions, or areas where cases have not been reported may restrict travel without notice. You can find additional guidance about the Department's recommendations in response to COVID-19 here.

Change in Passport Services Operations

Due to public health measures to limit the spread of COVID-19, effective March 20, 2020, we are only able to offer service for customers with a qualified life-or-death emergency and who need a passport for immediate international travel within 72 hours.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (e.g. parent, child, spouse, sibling, aunt, uncle, etc) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 days). You must provide:
  • A passport application with supporting documents
  • Proof of the life-or-death emergency such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents must be translated or in English.
  • Proof of international travel (e.g. reservation, ticket, itinerary)
To make an appointment at a passport agency or center for a life-or-death emergency, you must call our National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY) on Monday- Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm Eastern Time, except federal holidays or on Saturdays, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Eastern Time. Call 202-647-4000 outside of these hours to make an appointment.

If you applied and requested expedited service on or before March 19, 2020, we will honor our commitment of 2-3 weeks door-to-door for expedited service. If you applied in-person at a passport agency or center on or before March 19, 2020, the passport agency or center will contact you and ask if you want to pick-up your passport in person or have it mailed to you.

Customers in Puerto Rico should be aware that our San Juan Passport Agency is closed to the public until at least March 30, 2020.

Due to public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, some passport application acceptance facilities, which include libraries, clerks of court, and post offices may not be accepting U.S. passport applications at this time. If you need to apply in person for your U.S. passport, please contact the facility directly to confirm if they are accepting applications.

If you are applying for or renewing a U.S. passport on or after March 20, 2020, we will not offer expedited service and routine service may be delayed.

The status of our operations may change quickly. We will update this notice as the status changes.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by swag
Below is what is posted to https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...passports.html as of today.

I had sent my passport in for renewal (standard processing) 6 weeks ago. My status on https://passportstatus.state.gov/ shows "The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 02/10/2020. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.You requested routine service when you applied, which we are currently processing in 6-8 weeks.".

It's not clear to me whether they are continuing to process the existing backlog of in-process applications received before 3/19, or whether everything except emergency applications is on hold.

My guess is that everything other than emergency applications and “expedited service” applications is on hold.

If you applied and requested expedited service on or before March 19, 2020, we will honor our commitment of 2-3 weeks door-to-door for expedited service.”

Then again, they also say

If you are applying for or renewing a U.S. passport on or after March 20, 2020, we will not offer expedited service and routine service may be delayed.

key word: may
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by swag

I have no plans to travel internationally, but I do have a 90 year old mother who lives overseas, and should anything happen, it's be nice to have a valid passport in hand, rather than having to start an emergency expediting after the fact.

I would read that advisory as "if you didn't get in the queue before 03/20/20, expect a delay". You should probably also expect a delay on yours, but I don't think they will just sit on it indefinitely. Probably, the processing offices are working on skeleton staffing.

Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Reach out to your Congressperson or Senator's office. Their constituent services aide deals with passport issues and workers can research the correct answer. Those people may be working from home so email might work best. I had a passport issue a couple years ago they were able to solve in one day. In the eighties, I actually performed that task in a congressional office.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 20, 2020 at 11:17 am
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
I think a valid question is how long it makes sense for airlines to fly at all. They're not making money on any of these flights right now. Should the government subsidize travel right now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.