Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Resources Link to FT Thread on the 14-Day Quarantine for Arriving Visitors and Returning Residents to the State of Hawai`i: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...26-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC MM
Eventhough countries are opening, before US citizens can travel overseas again, doesn't their own travel advisory needs to be lifted from the current "Level 4"?

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...visories.html/
Old May 30, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: LH HON, EK Plat, QR Plat, TK EP
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
Eventhough countries are opening, before US citizens can travel overseas again, doesn't their own travel advisory needs to be lifted from the current "Level 4"?

I believe this is only advisory. If I choose to travel overseas of my own volition and the receiving country will have me, so to speak, then advisory shouldn't prohibit me from travel.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by CzeSEN
I believe this is only advisory. If I choose to travel overseas of my own volition and the receiving country will have me, so to speak, then advisory shouldn't prohibit me from travel.
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure how strict the US is with this kind of advisory.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

Originally Posted by CzeSEN
What happens when you return to the US?

What should have happened in January of course was to test or at least have people self-quarantine for returning US residents.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: LH HON, EK Plat, QR Plat, TK EP
Originally Posted by wco81

What should have happened in January of course was to test or at least have people self-quarantine for returning US residents.
Right now, per IATA Timatic, the following (+ any state regulations): "Passengers who have been in Austria, Belgium, Brazil, China (People's Rep.), Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe) in the past 14 days but are exempt from the restriction to enter the USA, must self-quarantine for 14 days once they reach their final destination."
Old May 30, 2020, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Interesting, many of those countries are in much better shape than the US.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

most of those advisories are months old if not years
Old May 30, 2020, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
No country ever stopped its citizens returning. At no point would you have been denied entry into the US, as a citizen.
US and most European countries haven't blocked their citizens, true.

Many countries in Africa and Asia and South America have effectively blocked their citizens by closing airspace / closing all commercial flights. Even India only in the last few days started repatriation non-commercial flights to bring citizens in, till then people were stranded around the world unable to get back in.
Old May 31, 2020, 4:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by wco81
I believe that the US still has a mandatory 2-week self-isolation for anyone entering the country. But I have no idea if that is being enforced, or how.
Old May 31, 2020, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aztimm
I believe that the US still has a mandatory 2-week self-isolation for anyone entering the country. But I have no idea if that is being enforced, or how.
Is that not a matter for individual states?
Old May 31, 2020, 5:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Is that not a matter for individual states?
States can put further restrictions, but right now the CDC has this posted:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ecautions.html

Stay home for 14 days from the time you returned home from international travel.
I believe the US State Department has something similar, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Are you planning a trip to the US?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 31, 2020 at 5:40 am Reason: Font size
Old May 31, 2020, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aztimm
States can put further restrictions, but right now the CDC has this posted:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ecautions.html

I believe the US State Department has something similar, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Are you planning a trip to the US?
But the CDC doesn’t enforce, it just recommends. My point was that quarantine is not a federal power.

I would love to go but the border is currently closed to me. A quarantine wouldn’t be ideal but not unmanageable in my place in Florida where I have a pool and an open beach.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH SEN, DL PM
UK citizen L1 Visa go to USA

may be you can help in the following case.
UK Citizen in the UK right now want to go to USA with L1 visa.
Is it possible to fly from UK to mexico stay there 2 weeks and than go onwards by plane to the united states?
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
But the CDC doesn’t enforce, it just recommends. My point was that quarantine is not a federal power.

I would love to go but the border is currently closed to me. A quarantine wouldn’t be ideal but not unmanageable in my place in Florida where I have a pool and an open beach.
The CDC does have certain Federal powers regarding detention, isolation, and quarantine for communicable diseases when it comes to international arrivals and in theory for interstate travel. https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/about...isolation.html

But the blanket guidance for inbound travelers due to COVID-19 isn't an isolation or quarantine order like they show in the link above. So there is no specific monitoring or enforcement of it - not that it would be feasible anyway. I suppose it's still possible for an individual traveler who is found to be sick with COVID-19 on international arrival to be given an actual quarantine order, but not sure if that has happened.

As you said, most quarantine/isolation matters are state and local usually.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:14 am
Suspended

Simply get a COVID-19 test when you arrive in the US. Wait for the test results in "temporary quarantine" and when the test result returns negative you can lift the quarantine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.