Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Resources Link to FT Thread on the 14-Day Quarantine for Arriving Visitors and Returning Residents to the State of Hawai`i: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...26-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Nikongirl
Actually depending on where that vacation home is located, you may not be welcome. If at the Jersey Shore or Delaware beaches, the message is "stay home"
Yeah, this is pretty much the message at ALL vacation areas but it's just that.... a message. Sorry, but I own vacation property and I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me I can't use it. Suggest all you want but I own the property and pay taxes. If I'm going to essentially be quarantined there is no difference between me sitting in my house in the city and sitting in my vacation home away from the city. I get that nobody wants people around them but we have to all be somewhere. I have just as much chance of spreading a disease to people in the grocery store at home as I do the grocery store at my second home. I get what's going on and I understand all the rules and doing what's best but this is starting to get out of control. This is still the USA and I have some right to occupy what I own.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by mtofell
Yeah, this is pretty much the message at ALL vacation areas but it's just that.... a message. Sorry, but I own vacation property and I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me I can't use it. Suggest all you want but I own the property and pay taxes. If I'm going to essentially be quarantined there is no difference between me sitting in my house in the city and sitting in my vacation home away from the city. I get that nobody wants people around them but we have to all be somewhere. I have just as much chance of spreading a disease to people in the grocery store at home as I do the grocery store at my second home. I get what's going on and I understand all the rules and doing what's best but this is starting to get out of control. This is still the USA and I have some right to occupy what I own.
The OP does not have a vacation home and was asking from that perspective.

I do not see where anyone said there was no right to go to a second home.

Edited to add that I have a second home but that area is also under non essential business closure, so it would not be much of a change.

Last edited by arttravel; Mar 22, 2020 at 9:10 pm
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:53 pm

They aren't required to stay.... it reads you must be quarantined for 14 days or your entire stay, whichever is shorter. Presumably, if people didn't know, they would just get on a plane and go home. So, they would be out two $129 tickets One interesting part of what I read is that quarantined people are required to stay INSIDE. It specifically says no pool, beach or common areas. I imagine residents can do whatever they want at their homes but not much reason for vacationers to head over to a hotel, etc.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage; Delta Skymiles; United MileagePlus; Air Canada Aeroplan; Air France FlyingBlue
Do you people hate your homes that much that you need to escape somewhere?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the government's advice is that we even avoid outdoors as too many people are going outdoors and there is no social distancing.

As long as I have the Internet and Flyertalk...

Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by arttravel
The OP does not have a vacation home and was asking from that perspective.

I do not see where anyone said there was no right to go to a second home.
I'm more speaking to what is out there on the news, etc. Every local TV station has story after story about local vacation area mayors telling people to stay home. States (Hawaii for example) have told people not to come. I didn't mean to direct any anger at the OP.... just venting. People are just scared and trying to protect their territory beyond what is theirs to protect. It just hit me personally tonight, too. My wife and kids are at our vacation home and I'm heading there tomorrow. One of the fulltime residents was scolding her for traveling and my wife is upset.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage; Delta Skymiles; United MileagePlus; Air Canada Aeroplan; Air France FlyingBlue
I'm more speaking to what is out there on the news, etc. Every local TV station has story after story about local vacation area mayors telling people to stay home. States (Hawaii for example) have told people not to come. I didn't mean to direct any anger at the OP.... just venting. People are just scared and trying to protect their territory beyond what is theirs to protect. It just hit me personally tonight, too. My wife and kids are at our vacation home and I'm heading there tomorrow. One of the fulltime residents was scolding her for traveling and my wife is upset.
Seriously? You shouldn't be traveling. This is bigger than you and your "right" to go to your second home. Wen did people become so entitled?
GadgetFreak, chrisny2 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The use of any mask unless you have symptoms is not required or needed. N95 masks should be reserved for medical staff doing an aerosol generating procedure like intubation or bronchoscopy or CPAP.
Wearing such a mask on a flight when you are not a known positive case only contributes to their shortage, and does not confer any benefit to you.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Are they going to start shooting groups of people who are not socially distancing?
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA
I have a second home — so I understand — my second home is significantly larger than my Manhattan home (not much of a challenge) but it is not worth the hassle for me to travel mainly because of work— I could not work remotely as well there (packing the reference books would be too much).
But I would not be happy to be told off by neighbors who likely have been spending time at Costco and not social distancing in retail stores.
84fiero, wrp96, SamirD and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Eric2203
Seriously? You shouldn't be traveling. This is bigger than you and your "right" to go to your second home. Wen did people become so entitled?
Last time I checked I'm in the USA and am ENTITLED to take my family to a safer location out of this urban scum pit of a city I live in.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Eric2203
Do you people hate your homes that much that you need to escape somewhere?
no but I see no reason to be stuck here beyond the incubation period (2 weeks) and it’s an ideal time to travel with school out so long as you can maintain social distancing.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Are they going to start shooting groups of people who are not socially distancing?
Why would you say that? They didn't even do that in China.

The more seriously we take this and the more careful we are, the sooner we get out of this.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
My go to places are SJO and SJU. Relatively close, friendly (friendlier than many US locations, warmer so the virus is only a story.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:44 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Unless you are ill masks are not needed and false hope. Most people use them improperly and, in fact, do more harm than good by wearing them. Take sanitizer, wipes and wash your hands like every five minutes.
I'm not sure if I agree with this. I was on a recent flight BKK to PEK. EVERYONE had to wear a mask. I took off my mask to eat and drink, but kept it on the whole time. I was in an airport with people coming from all over the world. Places with more cases than Thailand had at the time. EVERYONE had to wear a mask. They won't let you off the plane without a mask in China.

It has been 8 days and thus far no symptoms. I was very scared the first 5 days I would catch something as I was around so many people and I know the masks aren't 100%. However, if everyone is wearing one, it really does help with cutting down the transmission of the virus, especially when you are in crowded places.
Boraxo and JetBunny like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.