Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by elc2414
Our itinerary has completely changed. Original was XNA-ORD-LHR (with 1.5 connection in ORD) on May 3rd. That changed last week to XNA-ORD-LHR (with 8.5 hour connection in ORD) on May 3rd. I understand that connection constitutes a refundable itinerary. Today, as I was preparing to fill out the cancellation form on the Chase UR site (itinerary was booked through Chase) I went to AA to check again and we have been completely rebooked. Itinerary now says XNA-DFW-LHR (with 1.75 hour connection in DFW). None or our original flights now exist on AA. Obviously, we aren't going anyway, but does AA have a case to not refund since they are still providing us with an itinerary departing on the same date as our original itinerary? Does it only matter that both of our original flights have now been cancelled?
I filed the cancellation form and received a reply from Chase Travel within 12 hours. The email said I had the option of accepting the change or cancelling subject to the airline's policies. I replied the airline had canceled my original flights and requested a refund as the original flight was no longer available. Now I wait and see what happens.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:03 am

Ethiads new company policy not to give refunds for the cancelled flights.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Board00
Many airlines are taking that approach. It's all over the news that the priority is to work on operational matters and repatriation flights, with refunds due to come in the course of time. Whether that is true...
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by a321121
My flight tomorrow with Southwest has been canceled. Since Southwest canceled it I called and asked for a refund. After talking to 3 people and 2 call backs they refuse to refund it. They state they had to cancel due to airport restrictions, yet AA, UA, B6, and DL are still flying back to the US tomorrow (last flights then the airport will be closed for weeks). They could have flown their flight too but chose to cancel therefore I should be able to receive a refund and not travel voucher.

Has anyone actually received a refund from Southwest for a flight they canceled? Anything else I can do? Since the original scheduled departure is tomorrow I have to cancel ASAP or will even lose the travel funds.
If they've cancelled the flight. They're obligated to give you a refund. Document the steps you took to request the refund and initiate a chargeback on your credit card.

Originally Posted by Board00
May be their policy but depending on the jurisdiction for a given flight the law may say otherwise. If course the customer may have to take some steps to ensure receiving the refund.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
BA has canceled their flights to Antigua. The last flights will be on March 29th, and not scheduled to resume until April 17th.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:24 am
Original Poster

class action lawsuit initiated in Quebec against Air Canada and Air Transat for their refusal to refund flights they cancelled Lachaine v. Air Transat and Air Canada et al. (COVID-19) ? Perrier Attorneys
angra likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:10 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Have a round trip with Aeromexico booked. OSL-AMS-MEX-CUN-MEX-AMS-OSL. Departure April 4th. Tried to cancel it and get a refund, got a strange email which I did not understand. Have received several notices about changes, but at the moment my new travel schedule is not at all updated when I log in to Aeromexico. Only a few legs are listed and I have not even been informed. What do I do next. Is the EU 261 valid for me? The trips is in business class, but one which cannot be changed or cancelled (but cannot find the rules anywhere). Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I've been fighting with Aeromexico for a week or so. I'll try to tell you what I think I know and hope that it helps.

I believe EU261 is valid in your case. There may be compensation waivers in place, but last I heard, the EU had reconfirmed that refunds at least are due if the carrier cancels on you.

Aeromexico is cancelling flights left and right, and not contacting or informing anyone as far as I can tell. I finally had my itinerary cancelled by them, but I don't know if it was because of my neverending stream of complaints/requests that they cancel and refund me or if it was part of their normal process.

Aeromexico, like many carriers is flatly refusing to refund for flights that they cancelled. If you paid with a credit card, you need to go through whatever process is needed to request a refund for the cancelled flights/itinerary, have them refuse it in a tangible form, and file a dispute with your credit card ASAP.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:40 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by angra
I've been fighting with Aeromexico for a week or so. I'll try to tell you what I think I know and hope that it helps.

I believe EU261 is valid in your case. There may be compensation waivers in place, but last I heard, the EU had reconfirmed that refunds at least are due if the carrier cancels on you.

Aeromexico is cancelling flights left and right, and not contacting or informing anyone as far as I can tell. I finally had my itinerary cancelled by them, but I don't know if it was because of my neverending stream of complaints/requests that they cancel and refund me or if it was part of their normal process.

Aeromexico, like many carriers is flatly refusing to refund for flights that they cancelled. If you paid with a credit card, you need to go through whatever process is needed to request a refund for the cancelled flights/itinerary, have them refuse it in a tangible form, and file a dispute with your credit card ASAP.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Musken; Mar 25, 2020 at 4:23 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:52 am

Bit of advice requested. We had booked a luxury holiday with a small but atol/abta independent travel company to Cambodia, leaving on 29 April. The travel company has written to us, advising that it's likely to be cancelled (which we were obviously aware of!) and asking if there are any dates where we could reschedule it to. The next holiday time my husband has is September, which is rainy season for Cambodia so we wouldn't want to travel then, even if travel restrictions ARE lifted by then.
We understand small companies would rather reschedule than cancel and give us money back, and we're happy to accept that for now and not request our money back yet.
The holiday was booked last summer, so all our travel insurance etc would be valid. Question is, if we rebooked the holiday for September, or booked a different destination with the company (no comments needed as to whether we COULD travel in September), would our travel insurance still cover us like it does now, or would it be seen that we had booked a holiday DURING the Covid pandemic, and therefore not be valid.
Does the question make sense?!
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IKDR
Bit of advice requested. We had booked a luxury holiday with a small but atol/abta independent travel company to Cambodia, leaving on 29 April. The travel company has written to us, advising that it's likely to be cancelled (which we were obviously aware of!) and asking if there are any dates where we could reschedule it to. The next holiday time my husband has is September, which is rainy season for Cambodia so we wouldn't want to travel then, even if travel restrictions ARE lifted by then.
We understand small companies would rather reschedule than cancel and give us money back, and we're happy to accept that for now and not request our money back yet.
The holiday was booked last summer, so all our travel insurance etc would be valid. Question is, if we rebooked the holiday for September, or booked a different destination with the company (no comments needed as to whether we COULD travel in September), would our travel insurance still cover us like it does now, or would it be seen that we had booked a holiday DURING the Covid pandemic, and therefore not be valid.
Does the question make sense?!
Without knowing the specific wording in the policy, we cannot tell you. Every travel insurance policy is different. You're probably best off calling and asking directly. My opinion is that your cover will be in place as long as there is not a government-issued travel advisory against going to Cambodia in September. But ask.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Gold (MM), Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Contrary to most of the postings I see here, I waited until I was within the requested 72-hour window to call United, was on hold for about 10 minutes (not outside the usual hold times) and after 10 minutes of working with a very pleasant agent had a full refund for my flight and reinstatement of the Ecert I used to pay for my flights. Hawaiian was a little more reticent about the refund, but just had to talk to a supervisor before a full refund was issued. Both itineraries were non-refundable, but had cancelled segments. All-in-all, I'd have to say customer service is holding up well to the onslaught of callers.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Platinum, UA Silver
I waited until Delta cancelled my flight this week to Lisbon (scheduled for the 30th) and then called and asked for a refund. No hassle for me to get it.
And only a 1 minute wait on hold too!

Nick G
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
After reading several airline coronavirus policies, I noticed that there are no mentions of refunds for flights or routes cancelled by the airline. They only mention that you will get a credit that can be used later if the customer decides to cancel. Don't fall for it, the airlines are trying to get customers to cancel first, which would disqualify from a refund.

Don't cancel, let the airline cancel the flights, then you can demand a refund. With the current coronavirus crisis, most flights will be cancelled or incur significant schedule changes that qualify for a full refund.
I had two flights scheduled in April, one on American and the second on United.

American was the first to cancel my flight and I did get the tickets refunded.

When I called United on March 23 to see what options I had on cancelling my flight, they told me I could cancel for a voucher, but could not get a refund. I told the agent I would wait until the day before departure in the hopes that United cancelled the flight. The agent told me not to expect a cancellation (that most cancellations already occurred). Three days later the flight was cancelled and United is issuing a refund. It does pay to wait.

Last edited by Marx; Mar 26, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k
What exactly constitutes a cancellation? We have an Air France itinerary US<->India for week after next. Three out of the six legs have already been cancelled and the remaining legs are CDG->AMS, BOM_>DEL and CDG->BOS. Of course that's unflyable but Expedia still shows it as the original itinerary and Air France just shows the three remaining legs but still as active. What needs to happen so it's officially "cancelled" ?

Last edited by Hilmar Lehnert; Mar 27, 2020 at 1:43 pm Reason: typo fix

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.