Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by angra
In my case, with Aeromexico, even having the airline cancel the flight (twice!) I still can't get them to agree to a refund. They just keep rebooking me to different days without my assent.
If you are flying from the EU, Aeromexico has to give you a refund. If not, check with your local authorities regarding your passenger rights.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by nacho
If you are flying from the EU, Aeromexico has to give you a refund. If not, check with your local authorities regarding your passenger rights.
The flight is NRT-MEX-YYZ. Canada, and Mexico both have regulations that say they owe me a refund, but that doesn't help much if the airline just refuses.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:05 pm

Nacho thanks again, much appreciated.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by B747forever
This is exactly what I am doing, waiting out the airlines.

When this began I had 8 non refundable tickets across AA, UA, LX, TK, KL and U2.

At the beginning none of the airlines would give a refund, only vouchers. Now a couple of weeks later I have recovered about $3000 as airlines cancel flights and adjust their schedules.

Still waiting for KL to make changes to my IST-AMS-ARN itinerary for 4/9. That is the only one remaining.
Do you have to call up CS each time the flight is cancelled to get the refund? Are these all EU flights or US -XXX flights?

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds

Last edited by ipegleg; Mar 18, 2020 at 10:36 pm Reason: adding additional information
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I know some airlines try to reschedule you on next avail flight instead of offering refund. What is policy on hours for refund for SWA? I heard recently that UA made it 25 hours! But then backtracked and lowered it to something more reasonable.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angra
The flight is NRT-MEX-YYZ. Canada, and Mexico both have regulations that say they owe me a refund, but that doesn't help much if the airline just refuses.
Take them to the local authority - I would also go to BBB.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
Assuming the new extended connection of 8.5 hours creates a new departure and/or arrival time of that connecting flight that is more than 3 hours difference from the original itinerary, wouldn't you be entitled to a full refund? One could claim this creates a "trip in vain". I recently did so with a trip that contained two separate one way tickets and each ticket was moved from the original schedule by more than the 3 hours. I had no problems with a full refund for each ticket to my original form of payment. I never acknowledged or accepted the emails in the weeks leading up to the trip regarding the schedule change. I am writing this suggestion assuming you have not done so either. I learned from other FT forums not to accept or acknowledge these changes in the event I felt I would want or need to cancel. The airline even called me a few days out to confirm I was aware of the schedule changes. I responded that I appreciated the call and would review my emails from them and take notice of any changes and determine how it would effect my plans. The CS rep had no problem with that.
Would this apply to a non-refundable ticket? The tickets were purchased through the Chase Ultimate Rewards Portal and I have received a couple of emails from Chase informing me of the change, and to accept the changes or not accept and have a representative call me. I chose the latter, but as of yet have not received a call and it has been 5 days since requesting the call back. I assume they are just overwhelmed with call volume right now and as the flights aren't until May, I'm just in a wait and see mode.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:44 pm

Lufthansa Italy

My trip to Italy is not for a couple of months (PHX/FRA/INN UA/LH/OS ), but I have been watching Lufthansa's Coronovirus policy. As the country of Italy is on lock down, and Austrian Airlines has temporarily stopped flying, I am curious why I don't see anything about refunds in their published update I am trying to second guess if I will get a refund, should Italy still be on lock down/US band international travel. Why aren't they mentioning refunds - there must be US fliers who have March itineraries like mine
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elc2414
Would this apply to a non-refundable ticket? The tickets were purchased through the Chase Ultimate Rewards Portal and I have received a couple of emails from Chase informing me of the change, and to accept the changes or not accept and have a representative call me. I chose the latter, but as of yet have not received a call and it has been 5 days since requesting the call back. I assume they are just overwhelmed with call volume right now and as the flights aren't until May, I'm just in a wait and see mode.
In the US, Canada and Europe, you are entitled to a refund even for non-refundable tickets, when the airline cancels
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
In the US, Canada and Europe, you are entitled to a refund even for non-refundable tickets, when the airline cancels
What constitutes a canceled flight? Our original flight is no longer on the schedule but we are rebooked on a flight with a 8.5 hour connection in ORD. I realize this may all be moot given the constantly changing situation and given DL has announced they are parking 600 planes..... AA will probably be there soon.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elc2414
What constitutes a canceled flight? Our original flight is no longer on the schedule but we are rebooked on a flight with a 8.5 hour connection in ORD. I realize this may all be moot given the constantly changing situation and given DL has announced they are parking 600 planes..... AA will probably be there soon.
If the schedule change gives you a 8.5 hours connection, then you are entitled to a refund (provided that your flight is with UA, AA and DL).
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:24 pm

Programs: RAK ROCK CO
I have 2 return tickets and a one way tickets in June July and August 2020 DXB to BKK with Thai TG 518 and TG 517. Paid by Credit Card
I have received emails from Thai saying that all these flights are cancelled.

I contacted Thai but there is no reply and there is no answer on the travel agency's phone. I visited another travel agency affiliated to Thai they said that the Thai office in Dubai is not responding. They recommend to wait for a month to see whether the flights would be reinstated.

I would like to :
1. Refund the tickets OR
2. Use them if they get re instated.

My tickets are not NONREFND, so I should be able to receive a refund given that the airline cancelled the flight.
Is it possible that Thai would reimburse the costs of the tickets without my input?

What would be my options to obtain refunds using the credit card?
I need to be able to travel in the Summer as I have other flights booked with Air Asia, Vietnam Airlines and Singapore Airlines (which have not been cancelled)

From the Thai website it appears that TG 518 - 517 is not operational from April to October 2020.

Any comments would be appreciated. I do appreciate the havoc created by COVID 19 causes the airlines to cancel flights.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Debowing71
I have 2 return tickets and a one way tickets in June July and August 2020 DXB to BKK with Thai TG 518 and TG 517. Paid by Credit Card

I contacted Thai but there is no reply and there is no answer on the travel agency's phone. I visited another travel agency affiliated to Thai they said that the Thai office in Dubai is not responding. They recommend to wait for a month to see whether the flights would be reinstated.

I would like to :
1. Refund the tickets OR

My tickets are not NONREFND, so I should be able to receive a refund given that the airline cancelled the flight.
Is it possible that Thai would reimburse the costs of the tickets without my input?

I need to be able to travel in the Summer as I have other flights booked with Air Asia, Vietnam Airlines and Singapore Airlines (which have not been cancelled)

From the Thai website it appears that TG 518 - 517 is not operational from April to October 2020.

Any comments would be appreciated. I do appreciate the havoc created by COVID 19 causes the airlines to cancel flights.

Your flights are months away. Wait for a ~4 weeks.
Did you buy from a travel agency or the airline? If a TA you must deal with them.
A credit card can give some protection, depending in the local laws/rules
Airlines are bleeding cash, and would want to hold your cash / give a credit voucher

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 20, 2020 at 11:55 pm
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:24 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Debowing71

I would like to :
1. Refund the tickets OR

I wouldn't wait as who knows who will survive this fiasco. I had some intra-Thailand tickets cancelled and the OTA (EX in Thailand) won't even let me get through their phone system until 72 hours prior to flight time. Time to dispute with the CC company.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:41 am

Programs: RAK ROCK CO
How is this done (dispute with the CC Company? ) Contact my issuing Bank?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.