Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
When did you file?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, SWA Free Companion Award Winner, UA
Originally Posted by angra
When did you file?
The matter was officially filed on 03/18/2020.
A cancellation was proactively made, before any flights had been cancelled by airlines.
https://webapps.sftc.org/ci/CaseInfo...CDB38B757BB72B

Everyone is busy talking about how you don't get a refund if you cancel for something before the airline does it. The DOT clarified within footnotes in its' guidance (declaration) that it issued on April 3, 2020, in the footnotes that global events that would preclude travel are considered a triggering event. That's how I read it anyway.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hi, im looking for some help regarding a refund of a cancelled BA flight NCL-LHR-LAX return. It was booked as part of a package on Ebookers (Expedia) with a hotel & car. Ebookers have been swift to process refund for the car and hotel, but the flight they are flat out saying refund is not an option. I tried to escalate and their only response is voucher has been issued, which I have not taken as refund should be offered under law.

Is the way to go about this to lodge an EU261 claim with BA and forget Ebookers? I am confused as I also cannot talk to BA as booked with agent.

Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by 1210mk2
Hi, im looking for some help regarding a refund of a cancelled BA flight NCL-LHR-LAX return. It was booked as part of a package on Ebookers (Expedia) with a hotel & car. Ebookers have been swift to process refund for the car and hotel, but the flight they are flat out saying refund is not an option. I tried to escalate and their only response is voucher has been issued, which I have not taken as refund should be offered under law.

Is the way to go about this to lodge an EU261 claim with BA and forget Ebookers? I am confused as I also cannot talk to BA as booked with agent.

Thanks
It really depends where you live. However, most countries are part of the Montreal COnvetion, which says you can file against the airline anywhere, in any country. Although your relationship was with the travel agency (an Expedia Company), you can ceratinly file against both BA and Expedia, citing to the fact that a contract can not be fulfilled because the original carriage for contract, or conveyance, could not be provided as booked and ticketed, and that national emergencies preclude you from being able to travel, and that national emergencies preempt contracts. Where do you live?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by woolfson
It really depends where you live. However, most countries are part of the Montreal COnvetion, which says you can file against the airline anywhere, in any country. Although your relationship was with the travel agency (an Expedia Company), you can ceratinly file against both BA and Expedia, citing to the fact that a contract can not be fulfilled because the original carriage for contract, or conveyance, could not be provided as booked and ticketed, and that national emergencies preclude you from being able to travel, and that national emergencies preempt contracts. Where do you live?
UK. The flight was 23rd March. I think they officially cancelled on something like 17th March. I did not receive an email, I just saw it in the BA app as I was expecting it cancelled. The phonelines were jammed so didnt try too hard back then thinking it can wait.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by 1210mk2
UK. The flight was 23rd March. I think they officially cancelled on something like 17th March. I did not receive an email, I just saw it in the BA app as I was expecting it cancelled. The phonelines were jammed so didnt try too hard back then thinking it can wait.
Write to the EU COmmission on Travel. and CC the airline. and Expedia.
I have no idea what the UK version of Small Claims is, but I would suspect that it's fairly straight forward process. Our process here took me about fifteen minutes to fill out all the paperwork, but typically it would take about an hour. Good luck and let us know how it goes. So far I've gotten 100% refunds.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by woolfson
YES. YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A REFUND IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THE NEW FLIGHTS. PERIOD. THEY UNILATERALLY CHANGED THE TERMS OF YOUR CONTRACT. You can write a certified letter demanding a refund. And cc: the department of transportation.

If you don't get a refund, file a small claims lawsuit.
Feel free to use the example:
http://customer.files49.com/private/alaska3.pdf
Since I can't get a hold of anyone at Chase, I did a little more research and it looks like AA will probably view this as a schedule change and not a cancellation. However, I just found this posted today:
https://onemileatatime.com/american-..._change_policy
The gist is that American Airlines will only provide refunds to customers when schedule changes result in an overall delay of more than four hours, or when a customer goes from being booked on a nonstop, to being booked an itinerary with a connection. The prior policy was 2 hours. I booked under the prior policy.

The bad news for me is that my flight out of town was not changed by 2 hours on the departure or arrival side. And my new return flight arrives 1 hour and 56 minutes earlier than my original return flight. The good news for me is that my new return flight departure is leaving 2 hours and 18 minutes earlier than my original booking. If they use the words "overall delay" to mean arrival time, they are probably going to try and deny my refund. But I think I still have a case since my departure time was changed by over 2 hours.

I can't find any way to send an email or secure message to Chase Travel, so I'm not really sure the best way to go about requesting a refund. When I check on the AA site, it says "Due to the status of your itinerary we are unable to complete your refund request. Your itinerary needs to be cancelled prior to requesting a refund. Please click here to cancel your reservation and return here to submit your request. You may also contact AA Reservations at 1-800-433-7300 or your Travel Agency to cancel." I guess I need to call AA and sit on hold and see what the CSR says. If I don't get a good one, I'll just have to hang up and call again. Anyone have any other ideas?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by meade18
Since I can't get a hold of anyone at Chase, I did a little more research and it looks like AA will probably view this as a schedule change and not a cancellation. However, I just found this posted today:
https://onemileatatime.com/american-..._change_policy
The gist is that American Airlines will only provide refunds to customers when schedule changes result in an overall delay of more than four hours, or when a customer goes from being booked on a nonstop, to being booked an itinerary with a connection. The prior policy was 2 hours. I booked under the prior policy.

The bad news for me is that my flight out of town was not changed by 2 hours on the departure or arrival side. And my new return flight arrives 1 hour and 56 minutes earlier than my original return flight. The good news for me is that my new return flight departure is leaving 2 hours and 18 minutes earlier than my original booking. If they use the words "overall delay" to mean arrival time, they are probably going to try and deny my refund. But I think I still have a case since my departure time was changed by over 2 hours.

I can't find any way to send an email or secure message to Chase Travel, so I'm not really sure the best way to go about requesting a refund. When I check on the AA site, it says "Due to the status of your itinerary we are unable to complete your refund request. Your itinerary needs to be cancelled prior to requesting a refund. Please click here to cancel your reservation and return here to submit your request. You may also contact AA Reservations at 1-800-433-7300 or your Travel Agency to cancel." I guess I need to call AA and sit on hold and see what the CSR says. If I don't get a good one, I'll just have to hang up and call again. Anyone have any other ideas?
It doesn't matter what the airline says. The law is the law. If you purchased a contract for (X) and the product (X) is unable to be delivered, either due to national emergency (force majeure) or because the airline made a unilateral change, then you are entitled to a refund, period. And you'll get a lot of pushback from the airlines and others, especially on this thread. They will say "That's not our policy". The correct (and only answer) is "doesn't matter, I'm entitled to a refund". NO COURT HAS EVER DISAGREED with that. If you don't get the satisfaction you want, just file a small claims. Airline small claims are easy, and you can file in any municipality in the United Stated, because the U.S. is a signatory to the Montreal Convention - which states "Any Airline operating in any country that is signatory to this agreement may sue in any court that has legal jurisdiction within that country". (paraphrasing).

American Airlines can take their crappy anti-consumer policies and shove it. Believe me, I have sued American, and I have won. (in fact, I've never lost) Even when it was jut a minor change!
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:44 am

I just received this email from Jetstar (I think Jetstar Asia if that makes a difference). I don't fly frequently flyer and want my debit card refunded instead of a voucher that i might not use.

We’re sorry to let you know that we’ve extended the suspension all Jetstar Asia scheduled services until 19 May 2020. As such, your flight/s on booking ****** will not operate and we are unable to accommodate you on an alternative service.

We’ve made this decision in response to the evolving Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, including various government-imposed travel restrictions.
We are offering all customers impacted by this announcement a Jetstar credit voucher to the full value of their untraveled booking.

Due to the high volume of calls to our contact centre, the fastest and easiest way to secure your voucher is to go to Manage My Booking and follow these steps:
Enter your booking number and last name
Click on the 'find out more' button
Select 'check flight options' button
Click 'view other options' button
Select 'request reimbursement'.
The credit voucher can be redeemed up to the value stated on the voucher in one booking only within 6 months of issue, for travel on Jetstar within 12 months of the booking date. A fare difference, if any, will apply.

You will receive your voucher within two weeks of making the request.

If your flights were booked through a travel agency or third-party website, you can also request a voucher by visiting Manage My Booking.

Contact your insurer:

If you have a travel insurance policy which covers incidents like this and plan on making a claim, this letter could be a good one to include.
We’d like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by this announcement and we hope to welcome you on one of our flights in the future.
Yours sincerely,
Jenny Armor
Head of Customer Service
I contacted JetStar by Chat and the agent said:

Please be advised that your flight is originally non-refundable. We do only process a voucher credit as a gesture of goodwill due to this unforeseen situation. I'm sorry about that.
I guess the next step is to try to get my debit card company to reverse the charges.

Note this is not a rescheduled flight but a cancellation. Not sure how Jetstar can justify refusing a refund but they are doing so.

Btw, I had a similar issue with Cebu Pacific they offered me a choice between a voucher and a refund so had them process the refund. They said it might take 3-4 billing cycle to show up on my debit card statement. I have no problem waiting for the money, as long as I eventually get it.

Last edited by Arby; Apr 9, 2020 at 4:08 am Reason: quote problem
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:11 am

Opodo

Trying desperately to reach out to Opodo, however receiving the standard auto replies.

Recently made a flight booking for next week, repatriation for family members, the itinerary was sold however the long haul leg is not flying, as I learned almost immediately after booking via the carriers cancellation notification. Opodo still see’s the flight as scheduled and so I can not service my booking in any form online. Reached out to the various carriers on this itinerary who all quite rightly told me this must be dealt with my Opodo. Have tried every avenue to reach out to them to no avail and have had to make other travel plans so hopefully they issue a full refund, even though the connecting flights on the single sold intermarry are still technically flying. Any idea of how to get a hold of someone beyond the obvious methods? Fortunately booked via PayPal and have created a case, however appreciate it could be months before they get around to this also and ideally it would be great to touch base with Opodo before the travel date.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: United Airlines
File Insurance Claim or Dispute

New here, not sure if this is the right place to post? We had a trip planned to Denmark and Ireland for April 7. Bought the tickets (Business class, United), hotel etc back in Jan. Had to cancel the trip due to my wife's illness. She got a doctor letter and we filed a claim with Travel Guard and they paid us for what we filed (Hotel and misc charges). I did not file a claim for the air tickets as I had a contact in United Customer Care Executive services. I reached out and they would not refund the air tickets but only issue a credit. So I then disputed the charge with my credit card provider. Should I also just make a claim for the air tickets with Travel Guard? Or wait to hear from the credit card provider? How long do I have to file a claim for the air tickets with Travel Guard? Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no basis for a refund from UA unless you held refundable tickets. As you cancelled, you are entitled to a credit under its Covid-19 special exemption. Thus, the card dispute should be denied.

If this is claimable under your travel insurance, file a claim ASAP. Many policies have strict time limits and in the current environment nobody is paying out cash when they are not required to.

Some travel insurance issuers are asserting that a credit is the same as a refund and denying claims on that basis. You may have to push hard on that issue.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Trying desperately to reach out to Opodo, however receiving the standard auto replies.
.... Opodo before the travel date.
What is Opodo? And PayPal as a payment method? I'm learning things every day. What country does Opodo operate out of?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pazza2000

Recently made a flight booking for next week, repatriation for family members, the itinerary was sold however the long haul leg is not flying, as I learned almost immediately after booking via the carriers cancellation notification. Opodo still see’s the flight as scheduled and so I can not service my booking in any form online. Reached out to the various carriers on this itinerary who all quite rightly told me this must be dealt with my Opodo. Have tried every avenue to reach out to them to no avail and have had to make other travel plans so hopefully they issue a full refund, even though the connecting flights on the single sold intermarry are still technically flying. Any idea of how to get a hold of someone beyond the obvious methods? Fortunately booked via PayPal and have created a case, however appreciate it could be months before they get around to this also and ideally it would be great to touch base with Opodo before the travel date.
Don't use Paypal, don't use Opodo. Book direct and pay with a credit card to get the best protections and cut the middle man run around
Xyzzy and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Don't use Paypal, don't use Opodo. Book direct and pay with a credit card to get the best protections and cut the middle man run around
In this case I am where I am, it’s already been booked via the TA (Opodo) purchased via PayPal

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.