Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Impacts on airlines and services [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impacts on airlines and services [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I suspect, given that the Senate will have more pressing matters in the coming months (discussion of those particular matters is of course pure OMNI), there will be no further bailout money for US airlines until at least February.

Probably not great news for AA (and perhaps also UA).

(Disclosure: short AAL via put options)
Old Sep 19, 2020, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
In order to get taxpayer funding, airlines should be required to:

1) serve food and beverages to passengers in flight (otherwise why have flight attendants at all? they're useless)

2) prohibit airlines from banning other people from riding the hotel shuttle with their crew; if their haughty crew hates being around the commoners who are the only reason why they have a job, then they can pay for a taxi at their own expense
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
"These 2 big airlines may shock everyone and merge"

Searched and didn't see this particular article posted and am guessing this is the appropriate forum. Mods, please merge with other threads if appropriate.

Yahoo! Finance is running a story about mergers that might be a result of COVID. Headline makes them sound imminent but story just says possible.

I know people have commented on this possibility before and so thought this would be of interest.

"We’re expecting M&A to occur. You could see United Airlines buying JetBlue (JBLU). United is going back to JFK [airport] after an absence of a few years and it [JetBlue] has a big presence there,” long-time airline industry analyst Helane Becker of Cowen told Yahoo Finance Live.

Added Becker, “You can see Allegiant, Frontier and Spirit merge. Those three airlines have a 3% market share, maybe a little more now since they are so domestic. They would be a really terrific competitor to the Big Four because they are so low cost and their [sic] so domestic and leisure focused.”
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/these...205740633.html
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Searched and didn't see this particular article posted and am guessing this is the appropriate forum. Mods, please merge with other threads if appropriate.

Yahoo! Finance is running a story about mergers that might be a result of COVID. Headline makes them sound imminent but story just says possible.

I know people have commented on this possibility before and so thought this would be of interest.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/these...205740633.html
This sounds just like some rando moron speculating.

Personally, I believe any further mergers shouldn’t even be considered by the DOT/DOJ. They should be working to deconsolisate the industry at this point or alternatively open the domestic US market to foreign competitors.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:37 pm

Pre-Departure Drinks During Pandemic

I was on an AS flight last week when a woman seated in first class requested a pre-departure can of wine from a rather odious flight attendant. Her request was declined on the basis that the FAA does not allow pre-departure beverages to be served due to the pandemic. They proceeded to get into a heated argument and eventually she gave in. I didn't say anything, but this set my BS detector off as I could swear that I've seen AA serve pre-departure drinks in first class on recent domestic flights. But now I'm second guessing my own recollection.

Does anyone know the answer?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 1:00 pm

I know they were not serving them in November on the premium transcon route, which I recall was indeed the policy at that time. If they do not serve them on a widebody where the Y passengers do not pass by the J passengers on the way to their seat, it certainly makes sense to not serve in a single aisle aircraft, as the J passengers would be sitting without a mask while a 150 people file past them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.