Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 Patients - Share your experiences in this thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 13, 20, 9:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: username
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 12, 20, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards

Im just reserving this thread now as I assume a member will get this eventually

If you are willing to share, please do in on this thread
Old Mar 12, 20, 1:43 pm

Not me but, Brett Dean, a famous Australian musician shares his experience: https://www.intermusica.co.uk/news/4410
Old Mar 12, 20, 6:16 pm

Woman in Seattle: https://www.king5.com/video/news/hea...b-0692dbb1af77
Old Mar 13, 20, 10:13 am

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Hard to know if you have an actual case of Covid-19 in the States. I started getting sick on Wed. Left work early because I felt bad and had some of the symptoms. Headache, aches, pain, some chills, sinus pressure. Thought maybe a sinus infection starting ( still could be). Had a bit of a dry cough. Called my doctor on Thursday. They said monitor and call the Hillsborough County Health Department as all testing went through them. Decided to just stay home and see how I felt. Still feel crap on Friday

Called Health Department today. Was told need a temp of 103F or higher, shortness of breath and exposure to a known case or travel to an infected area to meet the criteria for testing. These are all symptoms of severe to critical stage of the disease. was told to call my Dr's office and maybe see about being tested for seasonal flu and a respiratory profile first. get those results and then see if I fit the criteria for Covid-19 testing again. If I got really sick to go to ER or Urgent Care clinic to be evaluated.

Called my doctors office and talked to the nurse. He is out of office till Tuesday. Said call back then and talk directly to him. He can see me Tuesday if needed but just wait and see how things progress.

This is crazy.

This is why there is a pandemic.

I'm staying home. I know a lot of people who would just carry on as best they could. I can afford to lose the two weeks pay but all the talk of financial help is moot if you can't get diagnosed in the first place!
Old Mar 13, 20, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease View Post
Called Health Department today. Was told need a temp of 103F or higher, shortness of breath and exposure to a known case or travel to an infected area to meet the criteria for testing. These are all symptoms of severe to critical stage of the disease. was told to call my Dr's office and maybe see about being tested for seasonal flu and a respiratory profile first. get those results and then see if I fit the criteria for Covid-19 testing again. If I got really sick to go to ER or Urgent Care clinic to be evaluated.
Last week my friend got really sick. He just got back from UK. He had 104F fever, shortness of breath, and cough. He went to the ER... they said he has symptoms of Covid-19, took his sample but then came back and said they are not allow to test him. They said California has shortage of tests so they only test people who had travelled to the hot zones... and UK is not one of them.

If he really got covid-19, then he said it is not like flu. It is much stronger and he lost over 15 lb in 3 days.
SamirD and Owenc like this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 5:37 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Moderator note: Please note that this thread is only for covid-19 patient experiences. Please only post here if you have a patient experience to share.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by Need View Post
Last week my friend got really sick. He just got back from UK. He had 104F fever, shortness of breath, and cough. He went to the ER... they said he has symptoms of Covid-19, took his sample but then came back and said they are not allow to test him. They said California has shortage of tests so they only test people who had travelled to the hot zones... and UK is not one of them.

If he really got covid-19, then he said it is not like flu. It is much stronger and he lost over 15 lb in 3 days.

There is a huge spectrum of symptoms. Not everyone responds the same way or with the same severity. That is the issue. People have the virus but aren't "critical" so they go about infecting other people. That's why there is a pandemic.
Loren Pechtel and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 12:19 pm

Clay Bentley in GA (looks like from 3/11): https://us.cnn.com/videos/health/202...bts-nr-vpx.cnn
Old Mar 14, 20, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.

David Abel (from the diamond princess) in a Japanese hospital.
discusses his symptoms, his experience and current health as of Wednesday the 11th. they were told to look for a fever of more than 37.5C (99.5F) among other symptoms.

edit: my apologies, I originally linked to the wrong video. this one discusses symptoms. as an update, he's home in the UK now.

Last edited by karenkay; Mar 15, 20 at 9:23 am Reason: correct link
Old Mar 14, 20, 10:41 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
50s man from Scotland:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-51876080

60s man from California:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...isnt-that-bad/

After reading these this morning, I have a better idea of what to look for.
karenkay and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
from ER doc who tested positive.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 9:19 pm

CBS Rome Correspondent Seth Doane:
LapLap and karenkay like this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by karenkay View Post
twitter thread from ER doc who tested positive.
Nicer formatted reading:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...136098305.html

The original link also has some other experiences from others that potentially had/have it. Good reading all around.
karenkay likes this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 11:58 pm

More firsthand experience by a gentleman who's taking care of her wife that has a healthcare background:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...528855041.html
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 17, 20, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username View Post
CBS Rome Correspondent Seth Doane:
Thank you for posting that, Seth’s experience almost exactly matches my own, but I won’t be getting tested (not unless the chest problem worsens). As well as what Seth describes, I have had more headaches than usual, but these are mild and respond well to paracetamol.

Have been in self isolation for a week (have a ten year old with me - initially a snotty “cold”, then a persistent low temperature) and will continue for another week. A friend dropped some food off for us yesterday.

The thing is, the UK government’s advice about self isolating for two weeks only changed last night, yesterday the directive was to only keep my kid from school for a week so I am pleased to be able to avoid that confrontation (this was not a directive I agreed with).
I know from others that getting a test can take over a week, and I don’t drive which makes getting it done very difficult. The truth is that I’m helping our Health Services by not involving them and this over-rides my wanting us to be tested.

For all these reasons, you can understand why seeing someone confirm that my symptoms do conform to Covid-19 is reassuring in its own way.
freecia, karenkay, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: