Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 Patients - Share your experiences in this thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
MedCram: If You Get COVID 19: Optimize Immune System (Vitamin D, Monoclonal Antibodies, NAC, Quercetin etc.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN30emwcNS4

Print Wikipost

Covid-19 Patients - Share your experiences in this thread

Old Jul 10, 2020, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Samir, we are hoping for the best for you and your family
SanDiego1K, Boraxo, LapLap and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Samir, we are hoping for the best for you and your family
Thank you very much.

So far I have not developed it, but I have experienced the body aches fatigue and sore throat described in this thread. No fever, and a test on me is negative so who knows. I'm keeping an eye on things though. Salt water gargles have been effective for my sore throat and hot showers help the aches. Aleve is also helping the aches.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This one is kind of cool:

dorisrpas likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:44 am

I have so much experience with the daily battles my dad is fighting so I'll explain what I know from the experience.

Once you are on a ventilator in the icu, you're already in deep trouble. My father was able to be taken off the ventilator, but went back on a few days ago because he began to experience respiratory distress. Even with other breathing assist machines at their max settings, his blood o2 saturation levels were still well below 90. The problem was that when he went back on the ventilator, the sedation drops his blood pressure, so they have to use some medicines to boost that. The problem with that is it is like revving your car engine when your tires are slipping--it can get you moving, but it is a lot of stress on the engine, or in this case his heart. Luckily, he has been able to be weaned off the blood pressure medicines as his blood pressure has begun to stabilize and his heart rate has dropped from the 120bpm that he was initially at for 24hrs. He was also put in 'paralysis' which means he is not mildly sedated like the first time, but heavily sedated like when you undergo surgery. This will provide him with the ability to recover while machines do all the work, but the drawback is that it will be even harder for him to come out of it.

Because of his current condition, we have researched Tocilizumab, and after consulting with my grand uncle who has had first hand experience dealing with covid recently, will be discussing it with the pulmonologist tomorrow:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...173-9/fulltext

The pneumonia that is in my dad's lungs is still there as his chest x-ray hasn't changed. X-rays do lag in showing improvements or changes from what other physician associates have told us, but the lack of improvement even with the treatment he has undergone shows how persistent this is. My father's most recent test still indicates he is covid positive.

The inflammatory markers typically attributed to covid have undergone cycles of inflammation and then retreat. The white blood cell count will also increase and respond to the inflammation. Usually when the inflammation gets worse, so does my dad's ability to properly saturate oxygen in his blood.

As far as myself--I am completely symptom free and have normal blood saturation and pulse--all while still in my dad's house in the same places he was living. I have lysol fogged the house a few times so perhaps that has helped as well.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another 2 stories I heard this morning on NPR: https://www.npr.org/2020/08/10/90071...sts-for-months
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:07 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by username
Another 2 stories I heard this morning on NPR: https://www.npr.org/2020/08/10/90071...sts-for-months
Powerful. Thank you for sharing.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting story from the PBS Newshour's special correspondent in the UK:

Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:19 pm

I guess I never updated what happened to my father--he passed away from covid.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by SamirD
Very sorry to hear that.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Very sorry to hear that.
Thank you for the condolences. The pain is still quite fresh. I think I posted much more detail in this thread:
Need to Fly and Cannot Bring Back Covid

Even as of a recent test, I am still covid negative. But I am acutely aware of the symptoms and keep a pulse oximeter to check my blood saturation daily..
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamirD
What a heartbreak . I am so sorry.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
(This seems like the best place to share this info but feel free to move if I'm wrong)

This was shared on a Covid survivor group (I'm not a member but saw it online)

HOW TO FIGHT COVID AT HOME

No one ever talks about how to fight Covid at home. I came down with Covid in November. I went to the hospital, running a fever of 103, a rapid heart beat, and other common symptoms that come with Covid. While I was there they treated me for the high fever, dehydration and pneumonia.
The doctor sent me home to fight Covid with two prescriptions — Azithromycin 250mg & Dexamethason 6mg. When the nurse came in to discharge me, I asked her, "What can I do to help fight this at home?" She said, “Sleep on your stomach at all times with Covid. If you can’t sleep on your stomach because of heath issues sleep on your side. Do not lay on your back no matter what because it smashes your lungs and that will allow fluid to set in.
Set your clock every two hours while sleeping on your stomach, then get out of bed and walk for 15-30 min, no matter how tired or weak that you are. Also move your arms around frequently, it helps to open your lungs. Breathe in thru your nose, and out thru your mouth. This will help build up your lungs, plus help get rid of the Pneumonia or other fluid you may have.
When sitting in a recliner, sit up straight - do not lay back in the recliner, again this will smash your lungs. While watching TV - get up and walk during every commercial.
Eat at least 1 - 2 eggs a day, plus bananas, avocado and asparagus.These are good for Potassium. Drink Pedialyte, Gatorade Zero, Powerade Zero & Water with Electrolytes to prevent you from becoming dehydrated. Do not drink anything cold - have it at room temperature or warm it up. Water with lemon, and little honey, peppermint tea, apple cider are good suggestions for getting in fluids. No milk products, or pork. Vitamin’s D3, C, B, Zinc, Probiotic One-Day are good ideas. Tylenol for fever. Mucinex, or Mucinex DM for drainage, plus helps the cough. Pepcid helps for cramps in your legs. One baby aspirin everyday can help prevent getting a blood clot, which can occur from low activity. "
Drink a smoothie of blueberries, strawberries, bananas, honey, tea and a spoon or two of peanut butter.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
My sincerest thoughts for those of you who have lost loved ones.

Too many stories here of pain and heartbreak for those who have / are experiencing C-19 illness - wish you fast and full recovery !
cruisr likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I put this on the Wiki since it might come in handy: MedCram: If You Get COVID 19: Optimize Immune System (Vitamin D, Monoclonal Antibodies, NAC, Quercetin etc.):
ExpatExp likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.