Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and cruise ships [merged thread]

Old Mar 12, 20, 7:50 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me

While not unexpected...the cruise lines have begun to shut down. Viking and Carnival Princess Cruises have suspended operations for two months. I am sure more will follow.

Carnival Princess Cruise Line announced Thursday it was halting global operations of its entire fleet of cruise ships for two months due to corononavirus, according to reports by CNBC.

( also posted in Omni/PR thread)
Old Mar 12, 20, 1:08 pm

My parents are currently on Costa Luminosa - three days away from port in Tenerife (if they are allowed to port at all ?! They were turned away by Antigua) I'm wondering if they will actually continue to the remaining ports (Tenerife, Malaga, Marseille) of if they are going to end early at whatever port will let them disembark. I'm in contact via WhatsApp, my mom says they aren't being very forthcoming with info :/
Old Mar 12, 20, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Can someone keep us posted as to what the cruise lines are giving for those already booked on a cruise in the next 60 days? I think Princess announce up to 200% future cruise credit for sailings over the next 10 days, and up to 175% for the 10 days after than. Pretty good deal if already booked. So do not cancel right away unless you get such a good offer. Most lines let you cancel until 48 hours prior and get full amount paid toward a future cruise anyway. also interested if cancellation due to being over 70 years old.
Old Mar 12, 20, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVP, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
A friend who cancelled a cruise but only received 80% of ticket fares in refund.
Old Mar 12, 20, 5:20 pm

Waiting for Carnival to shut down already.
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
While not unexpected...the cruise lines have begun to shut down. <snip>

Carnival Princess Cruise Line announced Thursday it was halting global operations of its entire fleet <snip>

( also posted in Omni/PR thread)
It's only a couple months too late.
Old Apr 9, 20, 10:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Ship at center of virus outbreak raided by Australian police

https://apnews.com/5075520be05899471ea93377ae4c5b6b
BRISBANE, Australia (AP) — Police wearing protective gear boarded a cruise ship to seize evidence and question crew members of the vessel linked to hundreds of coronavirus infections and 15 deaths across Australia.

About 2,700 passengers disembarked from the ship on March 19 in Sydney and it has since become the largest source of coronavirus infections in Australia. More than 600 cases of COVID-19 and 15 deaths are linked the to the ship, the Ruby Princess.
And according to Reuters it's a homicide investigation.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN21R00P

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian police said on Thursday they have taken the “black box” of a cruise ship which disembarked hundreds of passengers infected with the coronavirus in Sydney, as part of a homicide investigation into the country’s deadliest infection source.
My expectation is that cruising will be biggest travel victim of coronavirus.
Xyzzy and sydunipete like this.
Old Apr 9, 20, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's the definition of homocide under Aussie law? Intention required or is extreme negligence enough? Would someone need to know or be expected to know that the negligence could lead to death? Maybe failure to summon medical help is included, again when someone does or should know that there's an extreme medical emergency and death could result?
Old Apr 9, 20, 7:04 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What's the definition of homocide under Aussie law? Intention required or is extreme negligence enough? Would someone need to know or be expected to know that the negligence could lead to death? Maybe failure to summon medical help is included, again when someone does or should know that there's an extreme medical emergency and death could result?
I suggest the laws of NSW will apply. Australia criminal law is state based and I presume the relevant alleged activities occurred in NSW waters. The relevant terms are "murder" where intent must be proved (hence probably not appropriate) or "manslaughter" of which there are several grades. The following paper by the NSW Judicial Commission will provide you more information that you probably need.

https://www.judcom.nsw.gov.au/public...slaughter.html

Probably the most relevant extract is:

"In order to establish manslaughter by criminal negligence, it is sufficient if the prosecution shows that the act which caused the death was done by the accused consciously and voluntarily, without any intention of causing death or grievous bodily harm but in circumstances which involved such a great falling short of the standard of care which a reasonable man would have exercised and which involved such a high risk that death or grievous bodily harm would follow that the doing of the act merited criminal punishment."

Speaking in general terms I understand the NSW Police would investigate events and I have no knowledge of this specific investigation except what is shown on the nightly news. They don't start with a charge and work back, they start with the facts then determine what charge, if any, might be appropriate.

The alleged events are particularly messy with the ship and various NSW state and Australian Federal agencies involved.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: