Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

USA halts entry of visitors who’ve been in UK, Ireland, Schengen countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
US Department of Homeland Security Announcement: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/...l-proclamation
Whitehouse.gov Proclamation (more detail): https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

Sec. 5. Effective Date. This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020. This proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020.
Section 1. Suspension and Limitation on Entry. The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.

For purposes of this proclamation, the Schengen Area comprises 26 European states: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland

Release Date:
March 11, 2020(WASHINGTON) Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.

Won't affect lawful permanent resident, spouse of US citizen/PR, .... (see list of exceptions below, taken from whitehouse.gov link above)
Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.

(a) Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i) any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii) any alien who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;

(iii) any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;

(iv) any alien who is the sibling of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that both are unmarried and under the age of 21;

(v) any alien who is the child, foster child, or ward of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications;

(vi) any alien traveling at the invitation of the United States Government for a purpose related to containment or mitigation of the virus;

(vii) any alien traveling as a nonimmigrant pursuant to a C-1, D, or C-1/D nonimmigrant visa as a crewmember or any alien otherwise traveling to the United States as air or sea crew;

(viii) any alien

(A) seeking entry into or transiting the United States pursuant to one of the following visas: A-1, A-2, C-2, C-3 (as a foreign government official or immediate family member of an official), E-1 (as an employee of TECRO or TECO or the employee’s immediate family members), G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, NATO-1 through NATO-4, or NATO-6 (or seeking to enter as a nonimmigrant in one of those NATO categories); or

(B) whose travel falls within the scope of section 11 of the United Nations Headquarters Agreement;

(ix) any alien whose entry would not pose a significant risk of introducing, transmitting, or spreading the virus, as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, through the CDC Director or his designee;

(x) any alien whose entry would further important United States law enforcement objectives, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees, based on a recommendation of the Attorney General or his designee;

(xi) any alien whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their designees; or

(xii) members of the U.S. Armed Forces and spouses and children of members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

(b) Nothing in this proclamation shall be construed to affect any individual’s eligibility for asylum, withholding of removal, or protection under the regulations issued pursuant to the legislation implementing the Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, consistent with the laws and regulations of the United States.
Print Wikipost

USA halts entry of visitors who’ve been in UK, Ireland, Schengen countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
Will this affect flights that transit in EU?
There are no* flights to the US that transit in the EU - only passengers who do so.
But to answer your question - almost certainly, yes.

*Except for: SQ's FRA-JFK and Emirates' MXP-JFK & ATH-EWR

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 12, 2020 at 3:47 am
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Does this include cargo or just people?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
After looking at the trajectories for some European countries on my route and the developments in Italy, earlier today I cancelled a non-essential trip to Europe that I had planned for next week. The J award on Delta (at a great rate) was refunded without redeposit fee.

A few minutes ago, POTUS announced a complete travel ban from Europe (sans UK... ?!) for the next 30 days. There are apparently exceptions for US citizens wanting to come back, but not clear how that would work -- are airlines just flying planes for US citizens? In any case, even if I could have come back, I am actually glad to not be on the road next week.

From NYTimes:
Given the way things are developing that was a good decision to cancel your trip.

Was there anything useful in Trump's announcement about actions inside the US to help with limiting the spread domestically? Will be rather depressing if policy at the top is still focussed on the "we can keep it out" line of thinking ...

I guess though that in any case the "no-travel from Europe" policy will have a knock-on effect in terms of cancellations of conferences and large meetings. And with such an action also it becomes harder to avoid talking about economic measures (to support social distancing), given the hit that the tourism sector will take.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: BA, KLM, Alitalia
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - As I type this, my brother and his wife are on a flight from MSP-AMS. Against my advice to postpone, they decided to take a week's vacation in Europe. He lands in about 3 hours from now. He is going to freak out and call me for help. I figured he these are his options:

1) work with Delta and see if he can immediately book a return flight. I assume the Delta is waiving rebooking/penalties right now.

2) book AMS-LHR and then another ticket from LHR back to the US.

3) book AMS-YYZ and then another ticket from YYZ back to the US.

I'm not even sure options 2 and 3 will work. Any other suggestions?

Added detail: they are US citizens
Option one if they want to avoid a 14 day quarantine from as far I can figure.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by QtownDave
Does this include cargo or just people?
Edited: Trump said in his speech that it includes cargo. WH is now clarifying that does not include cargo.

Last edited by channonc; Mar 11, 2020 at 8:07 pm Reason: correction
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0
Of all the idiotic things in this statement (I know we're not in OMNI/PR, but the virus is already in SEA and NYC so why will banning travel from Europe help in the slightest?), the dumbest is announcing it at 9:00 PM ET, when it is 2:00 AM CET and everyone in Europe is asleep.

Good luck to everyone out there who is in Europe on the mad dash to rebook. My wife is in LON and I started freaking out until I heard the UK was to be excepted. It doesn't make any sense, because the UK also has plenty of cases, but I'll take it in this particular event.
It was 1am in the UK.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Of all the idiotic things in this statement (I know we're not in OMNI/PR, but the virus is already in SEA and NYC so why will banning travel from Europe help in the slightest?), the dumbest is announcing it at 9:00 PM ET, when it is 2:00 AM CET and everyone in Europe is asleep.

Good luck to everyone out there who is in Europe on the mad dash to rebook. My wife is in LON and I started freaking out until I heard the UK was to be excepted. It doesn't make any sense, because the UK also has plenty of cases, but I'll take it in this particular event.
Americans can't carry the virus silly

This is beyond moronic....
writerguyfl, wetrat0 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Watching Trump live, Europe 30 days no entry into USA except for US citizens, UK no restrictions.
Looking at the case numbers, I guess it is time for Canada to block entry from the US...
CZBB, notquiteaff, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
After looking at the trajectories for some European countries on my route and the developments in Italy, earlier today I cancelled a non-essential trip to Europe that I had planned for next week. The J award on Delta (at a great rate) was refunded without redeposit fee.

A few minutes ago, POTUS announced a complete travel ban from Europe (sans UK... ?!) for the next 30 days. There are apparently exceptions for US citizens wanting to come back, but not clear how that would work -- are airlines just flying planes for US citizens? In any case, even if I could have come back, I am actually glad to not be on the road next week.

From NYTimes:
I wonder how they come up with a Europe ban which doesn't include the UK? Economic/political ties obviously come into it. Or perhaps Donald Trump thinks the UK is somehow immune post Brexit?

If you ever wanted an example of the most nonsensical COVID-19 related travel ban then this would be it!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Owenc
It was 1am in the UK.
I know that... the announcement was no travel from Europe, excluding the UK. The vast majority of people affected are on Central European Time where it was 2 AM. Either way, not announced at a time when most of the affected people would be able to take action.
LiHS likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Americans can't carry the virus silly

This is beyond moronic....
I chuckled a how he mentioned it was a "foreign virus" in his speech as if viruses carry a passport.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by colonius
Looking at the case numbers, I guess it is time for Canada to block entry from the US...
I am in the US and was considering a last minute trip to Australia. In my research into COVID there quite a number of their cases were folks from the US or recently here. I wonder if Tom Hanks who just announced he is in Australia and infected may have brought it from US. I also wonder if in the US our limited testing is being used more for recent travellers skewing our reports towards imported cases here vs local spread.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Mar 11, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - As I type this, my brother and his wife are on a flight from MSP-AMS. Against my advice to postpone, they decided to take a week's vacation in Europe. He lands in about 3 hours from now. He is going to freak out and call me for help.

I figured he these are his options:
1) work with Delta and see if he can immediately book a return flight. I assume the Delta is waiving rebooking/penalties right now.
2) book AMS-LHR and then another ticket from LHR back to the US.
3) book AMS-YYZ and then another ticket from YYZ back to the US.

I'm not even sure options 2 and 3 will work. Any other suggestions?
Added detail: they are US citizens
UK is exempt. So if they can get to UK [Ireland?] quickly (air, train, ferry) should be OK.
Many other airports in UK other than LHR. so many AMS-UK options.
Spend the week in UK. And depart UK-Ireland back to USA. Not from AMS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amster...rport_Schiphol

Schengen area, EU community and Europe (as on a map) are all different.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Communities

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 11, 2020 at 8:35 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pfreet
Currently on Flight 58, just left BOS and headed to LHR. Flight back is March 22. currently March Any suggestions?
Assuming you are flying back from LHR, I would not do anything and plan to come back as scheduled. Monitor your reservation daily in case of an aircraft swap.
pfreet likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:18 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
This is really confusing announcement wording and imprecise. Are they banning flights? Or will flights continue and certain people can't get on? Are those certain people EU passport holders? Residents? Even the news is confused and is saying things like "Europeans banned for 30 days".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.