Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

USA halts entry of visitors who’ve been in UK, Ireland, Schengen countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
US Department of Homeland Security Announcement: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/...l-proclamation
Whitehouse.gov Proclamation (more detail): https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

Sec. 5. Effective Date. This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020. This proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020.
Section 1. Suspension and Limitation on Entry. The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.

For purposes of this proclamation, the Schengen Area comprises 26 European states: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland

Release Date:
March 11, 2020(WASHINGTON) Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.

Won't affect lawful permanent resident, spouse of US citizen/PR, .... (see list of exceptions below, taken from whitehouse.gov link above)
Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.

(a) Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i) any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii) any alien who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;

(iii) any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;

(iv) any alien who is the sibling of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that both are unmarried and under the age of 21;

(v) any alien who is the child, foster child, or ward of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications;

(vi) any alien traveling at the invitation of the United States Government for a purpose related to containment or mitigation of the virus;

(vii) any alien traveling as a nonimmigrant pursuant to a C-1, D, or C-1/D nonimmigrant visa as a crewmember or any alien otherwise traveling to the United States as air or sea crew;

(viii) any alien

(A) seeking entry into or transiting the United States pursuant to one of the following visas: A-1, A-2, C-2, C-3 (as a foreign government official or immediate family member of an official), E-1 (as an employee of TECRO or TECO or the employee’s immediate family members), G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, NATO-1 through NATO-4, or NATO-6 (or seeking to enter as a nonimmigrant in one of those NATO categories); or

(B) whose travel falls within the scope of section 11 of the United Nations Headquarters Agreement;

(ix) any alien whose entry would not pose a significant risk of introducing, transmitting, or spreading the virus, as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, through the CDC Director or his designee;

(x) any alien whose entry would further important United States law enforcement objectives, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees, based on a recommendation of the Attorney General or his designee;

(xi) any alien whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their designees; or

(xii) members of the U.S. Armed Forces and spouses and children of members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

(b) Nothing in this proclamation shall be construed to affect any individual’s eligibility for asylum, withholding of removal, or protection under the regulations issued pursuant to the legislation implementing the Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, consistent with the laws and regulations of the United States.
Print Wikipost

USA halts entry of visitors who’ve been in UK, Ireland, Schengen countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
You can be US citizen and EU resident then no stamps on your passport ... when entering the UK these days using US passport, also no stamp via the egate. I guess CBP will only come to know if they start asking for proofs of stay in the UK ?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
It'll hurt business, but at this point...couldn't/shouldn't "we" (each individual country) just ban all international travel? No land/sea/air border crossings for say 30 days? It's not a SOLUTION to any of this, but it would certainly help slow things down.
Saying "it'll hurt business" massively understates the impact of a decision like that. There isn't "business" and "the rest of society", it's one economy. Countries are interdependent today to a greater extent than ever before. Just shutting that off would likely lead to the kind of economic damage most people haven't seen in their lifetimes. Economic damage that would directly impact people's lives, pushing people (though not many readers of this forum) into poverty.

Edited to add: not to mention, it's nonsensical. 1) there is still significant international travel going on between numerous countries where the outbreak is not a major issue. 2) why would you stop international travel and not domestic travel too? as I seem to have to keep reminding people, the virus doesn't know nor care about the line you drew on a map.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by bobbytables
Saying "it'll hurt business" massively understates the impact of a decision like that. There isn't "business" and "the rest of society", it's one economy. Countries are interdependent today to a greater extent than ever before. Just shutting that off would likely lead to the kind of economic damage most people haven't seen in their lifetimes. Economic damage that would directly impact people's lives, pushing people (though not many readers of this forum) into poverty.
That's fair to say, but what's worse, the economic impact or having "everyone" infected with this? I don't even think it's that serious for most people, but it's clearly spread like wildfire already.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It'll hurt business, but at this point...couldn't/shouldn't "we" (each individual country) just ban all international travel? No land/sea/air border crossings for say 30 days? It's not a SOLUTION to any of this, but it would certainly help slow things down.
Any restriction on movement will help but the disruption would be crazy - people getting stuck, goods getting stuck, panic, etc. International borders are arbitrary. What is next - states/provinces, cities, buildings, homes? If things get really bad, then maybe there is no choice.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:02 am

That's fair to say, but what's worse, the economic impact or having "everyone" infected with this? I don't even think it's that serious for most people, but it's clearly spread like wildfire already.
I doubt there is much we can do to stop a large proportion of the population being infected with it [1]. It's all about slowing it down so that the healthcare system can deal with the more serious infections without getting overwhelmed. If that can be done without committing economic suicide and pushing people into poverty, I think that's probably a good idea.

[1] I have a suspicion that if you did a population-based study of somewhere like Hubei you'd find antibodies in a much larger number of people than the number of recorded cases.
username and GUWonder like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Not sure how to interpret your last paragraph, but yes, the ban affects anyone (other than US citizens/PLRs) that are in the Schengen zone. Schengen citizens who were not in the zone for 14 days are not affected. That is, of course, NOT what POTUS actually said.
US citizens and US LPRs are not the only group exempted from the ban. The exemption list covers more than just US citizens and US LPRs.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LHSEN
You can be US citizen and EU resident then no stamps on your passport ... when entering the UK these days using US passport, also no stamp via the egate. I guess CBP will only come to know if they start asking for proofs of stay in the UK ?
My US citizen relatives with EU/Schengen country permanent resident cards and others in such situations still have EU/Schengen stamps being placed in their passports nearly always. Several years ago it was less common for them to get stamped by Schengen passport control but for some years now they almost always get stamped — and I see stamps from AMS, CDG, CPH, ARN, FRA, MUC, WAW, BRU, MAD and so on in the passports of such US citizens with EU/Schengen country residence cards.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by largeeyes
If there are any flights.........
I think flights will operate almost 100% at least for the next week or so, if only to bring US citizens home.
Long lines at airline desks reported at AMS Schiphol this morning - many of those queueing reported to be US citizens who just arrived this morning and wish to fly back immediately.
GUWonder and DanielW like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
CBP will be checking passports for evidence of being in Schengen. If Schengen passport or passport containing Schengen visa, additional scrutiny.. The only loophole I see are are dual nationals with more than one passport or UK passports traveled to Schengen (assuming UK passports still don't get exit/entry Schnegen stamps) but then again border control has never been about 100% detection.
There are also non-dual-citizens with multiple passports from their own country of citizenship who will have a passport with fewer or no stamps.

I am supposed to fly to the US from the EU tomorrow or Saturday. I have to make a decision about whether I resign myself to remain in the EU for the next few weeks or position myself to remain in the US for the same period of time but it’s a pickle of a situations for me as a US citizen — given the certainty of even more major reductions in TATL flights and given the uncertainty of flight availability and restrictions for having been in the US and EU/Schengen area.

While I expect to be screened, there is still uncertainty about whether or not there would be a 14+ day quarantine of sort on either one or both sides of the Atlantic even if passing screening and even if passing a test for this coronavirus.

I will be spending my evening today in the EU trying to figure out what to do with my travel bookings.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 12, 2020 at 2:40 am
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:46 am

Isn't the other loophole (maybe not the correct word) transit passengers who never pass through passport control at a Schengen airport? Guess we'll have to wait to see what the final guidelines are.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
So, along with many, I am a bit confused by all of this and I hope FT collective can help.

UK citizens, not having travelled into Europe in the last 3 months let alone more recently and booked to travel LHR - RKV - DEN on 1st April and back 10 days later. As we are not from, have not been to and are not going through a Schengen area port does the US ban apply to us?

Thanks all.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyingjonny
So, along with many, I am a bit confused by all of this and I hope FT collective can help.

UK citizens, not having travelled into Europe in the last 3 months let alone more recently and booked to travel LHR - RKV - DEN on 1st April and back 10 days later. As we are not from, have not been to and are not going through a Schengen area port does the insane US ban apply to us?

Thanks all.
Currently, no. You are good to go.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by flyingjonny

UK citizens, not having travelled into Europe in the last 3 months let alone more recently and booked to travel LHR - RKV - DEN on 1st April and back 10 days later. As we are not from, have not been to and are not going through a Schengen area port does the US ban apply to us?

Thanks all.
RKV, being Reykjavik, is absolutely a Schengen area port. Iceland is in Schengen despite not being in the EU, like Switzerland and Norway.
GUWonder and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Currently, no. You are good to go.
Thanks, so we had a stopover booked - I will try to cancel that and re-arrange flight timings but I had hoped that if we just transit we would be fine.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:28 am

Thanks for this, it hadn't dawned on me that Iceland would be considered Schengen when Ireland is not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.