Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Visconti
From another thread, the Epi guy in the UK revised 500,000 dead to 20,000 dead. If this is true and we in the USA triggered all of this from his work, I want some Politicians ousted in November.
Nice. Did you actually read the original study? Let me quote the relevant part:

”In total, in an unmitigated epidemic, we would predict approximately 510,000 deaths in GB and 2.2 million in the US, not accounting for the potential negative effects of health systems being overwhelmed on mortality.“

The UK has implemented strict mitigation measures, and as I understand it, Ferguson’s revised estimates are based on new R0 data and actual implemented restrictions.

I haven’t listed to Ferguson’s recent thoughts, but you can if you truly care (instead of accepting the filter of an “American right-wing, conservative news and opinion website” (Wikipedia))

Here is somewhat of a summary from Imperial College: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/1964...-mps-lockdown/
artemis, ExpatExp, ajGoes and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jmastron
And it has to be store policy -- the baggers and cashiers simply shouldn't be touching things touched by one customer before handling things for the next customer.
Policy at my local Safeway is that store employees won’t touch customer bags. You bag your own stuff if you bring your own bags.

I use the self-checkout station.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
”In total, in an unmitigated epidemic, we would predict approximately 510,000 deaths in GB and 2.2 million in the US, not accounting for the potential negative effects of health systems being overwhelmed on mortality.“
I'm a bottom-line like kind of guy. When we get the data, and we will, if the mortality isn't anywhere near what I was told, I'm gonna want to know why and how these decisions were made. In addition, *if* this guy's stuff was used, I want the due diligence on it.

That's all care about. If the price we were coerced into paying was justified or not. It it were, fine. If not, I want heads on a pike (figure of speech, not to be take literally).
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: CX Gold, WOH Globalist , BonVoy Plat
As the borders all over the world tightened, some even restricted transit. There are three passengers stranded in Taipei Taoyuan International Airport. Air NZ flew three transit passengers on NZ77 and their ground staff were not aware that Taiwan banned transit. Thus, these three passengers were refused boarding at Taiwan boarders onto Shanghai and Japan.
Air Nz stated that they couldn’t deport them back to Auckland as NZ is currently lock down.
What would happen to these three passengers? They are not allow to transit, nor permit entrance to Taiwan. Also they can not go back to NZ.

passenger info: 1 UK citizen onto Shanghai, 2 Japanese citizens onto Japan
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a bottom-line like kind of guy.
Naa, IMHO more like a shoot from the hip kind of guy.
ExpatExp and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by MileageAddict

Here’s how coronavirus spreads on a plane—and the safest place to sit - fascinating article published by National Geographic:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...ds-on-a-plane/
So window seat in the front of a 1-2-1 business class cabin?

But then you have to go to the lavatory and you don't know if the flight attendants are infected.
Devehf likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
It's the direct person to person close contact that poses a greater risk than a surface which can (and should be) sanitized multiple times per day just like any other high touch surface in a business, and can be further mitigated through gloves and washing/sanitizing hands after. Most people are not keeping their windows rolled up and even if they do, lower cars still aren't a great impediment to direct spread. Easy incremental steps that should be taken but won't.
Perhaps easy incremental steps, but I am not sure that the "increment" is necessarily significant. What good does it do people if the pump surfaces get sanitized 3 times a day if (to make up a number) 20% of the users are infected? I might use gloves, but what percentage of customers will do that? (those same people could just lower their windows only slightly or hand it through the pax side window to increase distance). What about those who have to walk into the station because they have to pay with cash?

Compared to other incremental steps that many people resist I think the gain is just minimal. How often do you have to fill up these days, i.e., how many direct person to person encounters will you have?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I'm a bottom-line like kind of guy. When we get the data, and we will, if the mortality isn't anywhere near what I was told, I'm gonna want to know why and how these decisions were made. In addition, *if* this guy's stuff was used, I want the due diligence on it.

That's all care about. If the price we were coerced into paying was justified or not. It it were, fine. If not, I want heads on a pike (figure of speech, not to be take literally).
The "problem" is that IF social distancing and a shutdown are successful, we'll never KNOW how bad not mitigating it would have been. It's like your IT guy - if he's doing a good job you forget he exists at all. That doesn't mean he's not important.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by pw21
As the borders all over the world tightened, some even restricted transit. There are three passengers stranded in Taipei Taoyuan International Airport. Air NZ flew three transit passengers on NZ77 and their ground staff were not aware that Taiwan banned transit. Thus, these three passengers were refused boarding at Taiwan boarders onto Shanghai and Japan.
Air Nz stated that they couldn’t deport them back to Auckland as NZ is currently lock down.
What would happen to these three passengers? They are not allow to transit, nor permit entrance to Taiwan. Also they can not go back to NZ.

they could do a remake of The Terminal?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by bobbytables
they could do a remake of The Terminal?
Tom Hanks already infected.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:50 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by narvik
Completely agree. It was an unfortunate term that sadly stuck.

Wikipedia, at least, uses "Social distancing, or physical distancing" under the "Social distancing" entry.
It also has this: "lt has been requested that the title of this article be changed to Physical distancing"
I hope it gets changed.

I recall a story from a Chinese work colleague who took his kid outside in January in Beijing.
He was in the park alone until a man came with his kid. They approached each other but stopped short, maybe 20ft apart. They then had a conversation while their kids stayed close to their respective parent. How is that Social Distancing?
They socially interacted whilst maintaining a physical distance.
"Social distancing" is short for "physical distancing in a social context".

The unfortunate term that sadly stuck is "coronavirus".
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
The "problem" is that IF social distancing and a shutdown are successful, we'll never KNOW how bad not mitigating it would have been. It's like your IT guy - if he's doing a good job you forget he exists at all. That doesn't mean he's not important.
From the onset, the figure most important to me was the mortality rate, which I had estimated, from a variety of sources here and elsewhere, to at around 50 - 100 bps, give or take. If it turns out the mortality risk was much lower, I'd like an explanation. I'm not an expert, but am paying the price for their recommendations. What we Americans have been forced to pay calls for an explanation, if "they" were wrong. Finally, if this UK Epi guy's work had been used in any way (not just fluff by the NYT), I'd want to know both the process and what role his data influenced our decisions here.

Generally, I couldn't care less what our Gov't does or doesn't do, so long as they leave me alone. However, this time, they've restricted my freedom and forced upon the entire nation an astronomical price. This is fine, if justified. On something like this, it's important they were right. If they were wrong, they all need to go. There can be no excuses or justification for being wrong on what our Gov't has chosen to do here.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Reinfection vs. Repeated exposure

The reinfection question is key, about the long-term trajectory of this disease. Let's hope reinfection isn't possible.

But what about people who are repeatedly exposed to people shedding viruses? What if doctors and nurses become infected and their immune systems are able to fight off the infections but they are exposed to additional viral loads and their bodies can't fight off these viral loads?

Let's say you have a number of antibodies for some period after recovery but you're repeatedly exposed to people or situations where your body consumes more viral loads. Is there some threshold above which antibodies can't handle the amount of viral load in your body?

That may be what we're seeing with some accounts of certain drugs, that they work early on or in mild or moderate cases but once the disease has progressed to a critical level, the drugs aren't enough to stop the replication of the virus?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:57 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by pw21

On the day HK imposed 14-day quarantine against the world, HK had a bunch of Mainland passport transit pax from overseas who were boarded on the presumption Mainland passport 7 day landside transit has not been revoked. It has not; however, since they have to be quarantined for 14 days (the landside transit is not sterile - it's just any old bus to the Mainland and you can even make a trip of 7 days in Hong Kong) but their permitted stay is below that, they were not allowed to land.

They made some "peaceful representations".
I read thru the Timatic instructions, the part about "their permitted stay of 7 days is less than the quarantine" was not explicit, I think it's CAA's fault.
Airport Authority Hong Kong seem to agree and managed to persuade Immigration Department to allow four coaches of chartered buses to conduct a sterile transfer of the stranded Mainland passport holders to the Shenzhen Bay border.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: CX Gold, WOH Globalist , BonVoy Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
On the day HK imposed 14-day quarantine against the world, HK had a bunch of Mainland passport transit pax from overseas who were boarded on the presumption Mainland passport 7 day landside transit has not been revoked. It has not; however, since they have to be quarantined for 14 days (the landside transit is not sterile - it's just any old bus to the Mainland and you can even make a trip of 7 days in Hong Kong) but their permitted stay is below that, they were not allowed to land.

They made some "peaceful representations".
I read thru the Timatic instructions, the part about "their permitted stay of 7 days is less than the quarantine" was not explicit, I think it's CAA's fault.
Airport Authority Hong Kong seem to agree and managed to persuade Immigration Department to allow four coaches of chartered buses to conduct a sterile transfer of the stranded Mainland passport holders to the Shenzhen Bay border.
I doubt that Taiwan will be lenient towards this, since this is not day 1 of the restriction, nor they will allow them to wander around like “The Terminal”.
I guess at the end of the day they might fly back to Auckland n transit there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.