Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by bobbytables
I've recently been trying to add up-to-the-minute data on all-cause mortality to the metrics I'm keeping an eye on, to try to get some perspective on how many additional deaths are being caused by Covid-19.

The UK publishes figures on a weekly basis along with information about whether any statistically significant increase has been detected overall, or in subpopulations by region or age, against the prediction based on previous years. No increase was detected in the latest data. It was published nearly a week ago and it should be noted that there can be a time lag between death and registration of death.
https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...e-2019-to-2020

There is also EURO MOMO (European Mortality Monitoring) which is also published weekly as an aggregate across all of Europe and an aggregate for each country. This also shows no statistically significant increase for Europe or for any individual country, but that should be interpreted with caution. Any potential increase in the all-Europe figure is probably concentrated in Italy/Spain and would thus be diluted out of the aggregate for Europe by the rest of Europe. Any potential increase in Italy or Spain might be concentrated in a region and thus diluted by the rest of the country.
EURO MOMO

These will be interesting to monitor over the coming weeks. If anyone knows of other all-cause mortality monitoring data sources for other countries/regions please post links.
Interesting. Very interesting. Pity it doesn't fit the accepted narrative.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I think it's too early to say that. The data from the UK is 6 days old. Certainly the EURO MOMO data shows that Italy (as a country) is not dealing with unprecedented all-cause mortality, but that doesn't mean, for example, that Lombardy isn't. In any case, I'll be keeping a close eye on these sources.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
It fits some accepted narratives and doesn’t fit other accepted narratives. Either way, it’s interesting — even as it may mean something other than what some may take it to mean.

Predictive models have to get tweaked or even rewritten from scratch because of this kind of “A = B not applicable” approach not holding up as being as true (or true at all) as it was initially assumed/accepted to be.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by the phoenix
Words should be owed a certain importance. It’s PHYSICAL distancing we need to be mindful of. You can be social otherwise.....
Completely agree. It was an unfortunate term that sadly stuck.

Wikipedia, at least, uses "Social distancing, or physical distancing" under the "Social distancing" entry.
It also has this: "lt has been requested that the title of this article be changed to Physical distancing"
I hope it gets changed.

I recall a story from a Chinese work colleague who took his kid outside in January in Beijing.
He was in the park alone until a man came with his kid. They approached each other but stopped short, maybe 20ft apart. They then had a conversation while their kids stayed close to their respective parent. How is that Social Distancing?
They socially interacted whilst maintaining a physical distance.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:43 am

Someone who broke the lockdown has lost his life in a rather unusual way, by meeting a crocodile. The Rawandan man broke his country's Coronavirus lockdown to go fishing on a river, but a hungry crocodile found him there and ate him.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/fearl...ts-a-crocodile
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Carolinian
Someone who broke the lockdown has lost his life in a rather unusual way, by meeting a crocodile. The Rawandan man broke his country's Coronavirus lockdown to go fishing on a river, but a hungry crocodile found him there and ate him.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/fearl...ts-a-crocodile
Physical distancing was indicated.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:57 am
Suspended

An interesting article.

How the Pandemic Will End
The U.S. may end up with the worst COVID-19 outbreak in the industrialized world. This is how it’s going to play out.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...us-end/608719/
T8191 and bitterproffit like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:56 am

Some facts (if wrong, please correct me):

1. As another poster put it, the path from pandemic to endemic - this cannot be stopped.
2. Eventually, 60% or 70% of USA population may become infected.
3. People in high risk categories have two options: 1) stay under lock & key & wait for a vaccine, 2) aceept risk, and venture out.

Let's eliminate the impossible, such as keeping everyone sheltered in place indefinitely. What's a reasonable time frame? 30 days? Maybe, 60? Not any more than that in my view. We have considerable data and will continue to have much more, and each person may assess their own risk respectively.

Some of you want me and my family to stay home until we have a vaccine? We should stay sheltered until there's a vaccine or when the risk is zero? These arguments are not to be taken seriously.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Modified sterile technique

Interesting sort of. This MD suggests a modified “sterile” technique for grocery shopping. He breaks technique at least twice in the first 5 minutes but if you aren’t familiar with sterile technique it’s probably worth a look.

Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
...Some of you want me and my family to stay home until we have a vaccine? We should stay sheltered until there's a vaccine or when the risk is zero? These arguments are not to be taken seriously.
Who are these "Some of you"? I saw no such posts here.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Predictive models have to get tweaked or even rewritten from scratch because of this kind of “A = B not applicable” approach not holding up as being as true (or true at all) as it was initially assumed/accepted to be.
I've dealt with mathematical models my entire life. Predictive ones are generally uncertain, at best. Soon enough, we in the USA will have plenty of data to analyze. For the price I and my fellow Americans were coerced into paying by fiat, I want an accounting of who was right, wrong, or anywhere in between.

I just care that they were right. If they were wrong, I care about that too. This isn't a game, and we're playing with the highest stakes here, and the consequences for being right or wrong should be consistent with those stakes.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by boerne
Interesting sort of. This MD suggests a modified “sterile” technique for grocery shopping. He breaks technique at least twice in the first 5 minutes but if you aren’t familiar with sterile technique it’s probably worth a look.

https://youtu.be/sjDuwc9KBps
If everyone did this with every grocery item, we would eat a whole lot less.

Reusable cloth bags that some people use for groceries and other shopping are more awful fomites than plastic bags .... at least for stuff stored in the open at a room temperature for people.

The tunnel-visioned and stove-piping “save the world” types are going to struggle with what how to align all the messages they jump on.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:52 am

I'm hoping to see some changes to the built environment in general going forward. For example, more restroom doors that open outward and fewer electric hand dryers (which can't be used to open a door handle and don't really have a life-cycle carbon savings versus paper towels anyhow).

Will be curious to see if the American love affair with buffets wanes (I'm guessing not).
Silver Fox and Cryofern like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:02 am

Future tickets given the uncertainty of the corona outbreak

I was wondering how are others approaching the uncertainties on the corona situation. I would like to book tickets for future vacations - after summer, but I have been reluctant given the current situation where we do not know what is ahead. It doesnt sound feasible to have the current overall entry restrictions lasting for months, but it is such a situation that it sounds possible that there is an ongoing outbreak in any country at any time before a final solution (vaccine, immunization) is in place. Or that there are still arrival/quarantine impositions which would basically defeat the purpose of leisure trip.

Right now the government travel advice here is that "traveling abroad should be avoided unless strictly necessary, valid initially until mid April " and when I contacted my travel insurance they indeed said that if I booked a ticket now, even if the travel dates are at a much later period, they may not be able to cover me since I was aware of the epidemics when I booked. I know that some airlines are offering to waive change fees, but not all of them or not necessarily for travels to be booked much later on.

How are others dealing with the situation? Right now, Im thinking of waiting til mid april...
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by bobbytables
What I find sad is that every perspective other than "this thing is terrible and will only get more terrible and we need the government to lock every single one of us in our homes immediately" gets either ignored or attacked. Virtually every decision that has been made so far has been made with extremely thin data. All new data should be welcomed whether it agrees with the groupthink or not.
As a trained psychologist, I implore you to stop using psychological terms incorrectly.

Groupthink occurs when people withhold their true beliefs because they don’t want to disrupt the harmony of group, “not rocking the boat”. People disagreeing with you, even if you’re in the minority opinion (and I’m not making judgements about wrong or right in this sense), is not groupthink.

Groupthink can be right or it can be wrong, although most people think about it in terms of when things go wrong. Classic example is JFK’s decision to green light the bay of pigs.
ajGoes likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.