Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

College and university impacts due to Coronavirus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

College and university impacts due to Coronavirus

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
FWIW, my impression (based on a nonrandom sample of top universities in the USA) is that summer sessions this year will be online only. Everyone seems to be hoping to restart in the fall, but not committing to do so. If colleges and universities cannot open for the fall term, their financial consequences will be significantly worse.

For the online regime, students are generally free to choose to earn credit on a Pass/Fail basis if they wish.

Don't buy nonrefundable plane tickets yet for your college student. Also, assume that returning to campus for graduation/alumni reunions/orientation and parent events etc. will not be an option this summer.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:57 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
FWIW, my impression (based on a nonrandom sample of top universities in the USA) is that summer sessions this year will be online only. Everyone seems to be hoping to restart in the fall, but not committing to do so. If colleges and universities cannot open for the fall term, their financial consequences will be significantly worse.

For the online regime, students are generally free to choose to earn credit on a Pass/Fail basis if they wish.

Don't buy nonrefundable plane tickets yet for your college student. Also, assume that returning to campus for graduation/alumni reunions/orientation and parent events etc. will not be an option this summer.
Hey wasn't somebody saying we'd all be in Church for easter, then not, and now we'll be filling the stadiums for fall NFL season, we'll see in 4 months won't we. Where fall NFL goes is where college fall will be as well.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PSA: Foreign students currently in the USA should not leave the USA this summer if they plan to continue their studies in a USA university during the next academic year. Once they travel out of the USA, there is n0 guarantee that they will be able to enter the USA again, regardless of whether their student visa is still valid, and no guarantee that there will be routes and flights operating to enable them to return to the USA.

Don't make summer travel plans kids, unless you want to see America.

If someone who hopes to be a continuing student in the USA during the fall is currently outside of the USA, it would be wise to follow entry/transit/quarantine requirements and airlines/routes. Make a Plan B, Plan C, Plan D, etc. for yourself and keep updating. If you can enter well before the start of your next college/university session (hopefully fall, but this remains to be seen as most institutions are looking at contingency plans), this would be a smart move. However, current rules are that new students from most countries cannot enter the USA on student visas more about one month before the beginning of the term. Also, campus student housing is typically unavailable until the start of the new student orientation/registration period, which would be not more than a week before the first day of class.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PBS Newshour Interview with Timothy White, Chancellor of California State University,

Old May 15, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I teach a grad school course in the USA each summer (just as an adjunct professor - my main profession is not higher education). I fly there for that purpose, as I'm an American living in Asia.

This summer the course will be online. The good news it that I'll still be able to teach it while I'm here in Asia. The bad news is that due to the time zones it will be in the middle of my night.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Colleges’ Plans for Reopening in the Fall, 2020

Here's a list of what colleges' plans are for reopening in the Fall of 2020: Chronicle of Higher Education - Here’s a List of Colleges’ Plans for Reopening in the Fall

Unfortunately, the list is behind the Chronicle's paywall, but some of the details are described in this Newsweek article:
The coronavirus pandemic forced every college in the U.S. to move to online instruction, but a number of them are already planning for in-person classes for the upcoming fall semester

The Chronicle of Higher Education currently has a running list of over 630 colleges across the country that have either disclosed their plans for the fall semester or have set a deadline for deciding.

Among the colleges that The Chronicle is tracking, a majority, or 68 percent, are currently planning for in-person classes in the fall. Comparatively, 10 percent are considering a range of options, 10 percent are still waiting to decide, 6 percent are proposing a "hybrid model," and 6 percent are planning for online learning.
Link: Newsweek - These Colleges Plan to Reopen for In-Person Classes in the Fall (May 20, 2020)

Several institutions are adjusting their schedules in order to end in-person instruction by Thanksgiving, for example:
Many colleges and universities are wrestling with their fall academic calendars as they worry about how to reopen campuses amid a deadly pandemic that could produce a second wave of novel coronavirus infections. The public University of South Carolina has staked out an intriguing plan:

Bring students back to campus in August, teach in person for three months and switch to remote instruction after Thanksgiving.
Link: Washington Post - University of South Carolina’s answer to fall dilemma due to the virus: Open in person but go remote after Thanksgiving (May 18, 2020)

Also:
Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse University will hold in-person classes in the fall and plans to start classes on Monday, Aug. 24, according to an email to the university community from Chancellor Kent Syverud.The school plans to hold classes with an accelerated academic calendar, similar to the one announced earlier this week by New York University. The school said that the accelerated schedule will likely require students to take some additional Friday and weekday classes.

“This schedule, coupled with changes to our facilities to meet social distancing and physical density best practices, reduces the risks and exposures associated with travel to and from campus, and prepares us for the possibility of a second wave of (Covid)-19 cases,” Syverud wrote.

In recent days, schools across the country have begun informing students and potential students about their plans for the fall semester. With so many things still unknown about the coronavirus, plans have differed greatly among schools.

While Syracuse opted for a schedule similar to those already announced by NYU, South Carolina and Notre Dame, Ithaca College took a markedly different tack this week and announced that it won’t bring students to campus until October.
Link:Syracuse.com - Syracuse University announces fall return date and adjusted academic schedule (May 20, 2020)
Old May 21, 2020, 1:33 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Cambridge University [UK] moves all lectures online until summer 2021

Cambridge has become the first university to set out measures for the full 2020-21 academic year, announcing that it will move all “face-to-face lectures” online for the duration. .....

The university said lectures would continue virtually until summer 2021, while it may be possible for smaller teaching groups to take place in person if it “conforms to social-distancing requirements”.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...il-summer-2021
Old May 21, 2020, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
The university I work at is resuming SOME classes in-person for Fall 2020, though all the big classes (likely most if not all first/second year classes) will be online-only.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

I'm hearing about more institutions going to the early start system, with the campus being open (with social distancing, etc.) for some in person classes (and most large classes being online/remote) beginning between August 10th and Labor Day (Monday, September 7, 2020 in the USA) and virtually no in person classes meeting after Thanksgiving (Thursday, November 26, 2020 in the USA). College kids and their parents should avoid making plans for August vacations.

Some first (and second?) year students might have all remote classes even if campus is open, which of course raises questions about whether the kid should live at home or on campus, or maybe try to take a leave or defer admission. OTOH this makes it easier for foreign students who are stuck abroad at this time, assuming that they can productively fill their schedules with online only classes and "attend" classes and exams remotely at odd times with good internet access.

Unfortunately details are unlikely to be clarified until much later in the summer unless the college or university has already announced that all classes in the program will be online for the entire fall term. IMO it would be very difficult to reverse this decision and move classes from remote to in person, although some student activities could be added later for those who are able to come to campus.

Cutting off possibilities for vacations in August will further hurt the travel and hospitality industry especially as many people are cancelling or delaying trips but hoping to be able to travel toward the end of the summer.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Berkeley sent parents an email yesterday (June 9) saying they will be giving us information next week. With currently, an August 18 move in date for freshman, it feels very late for them to change that to something sooner. We are not booking anything right now, life is in limbo for parents and soon-to-be college student!
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:52 pm

Now would be the time for newly joining foreign students to start applying/getting approved for student visas.

There's typically a big Chinese student freshman population joining Australian colleges, or a big Indian/Asian student freshman population joining US/Canada colleges, or big middle-eastern/turkish student population joining German colleges.

But with embassies and consulates closed, and travel to EU/US/Australia in limbo, what is happening? Any chatter or reports from new freshman foreign students?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

There are reports (in the China destination forum here on FT) of mainland China USA consulates making appointments for student visas starting from the beginning of August.

As I think I reported earlier somewhere on FT (maybe even this thread?), I had been told about a month ago that student visas (for colleges and universities in the USA) wouldn't become available before the first week of October and possibly as late as the first week of December.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Processing student visas also relies on local service centers. Currently fall outbound US students cannot get fingerprinted at US offices in order to complete applications for Visas to UK, EU, etc.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Can the student be fingerprinted by showing up in person at the local police station during business hours? I remember doing it this way long ago for my student visa to spend an academic year in Europe.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As I think I reported earlier somewhere on FT (maybe even this thread?), I had been told about a month ago that student visas (for colleges and universities in the USA) wouldn't become available before the first week of October and possibly as late as the first week of December.
What's your source for this, and is this for US bound students from any country or specific ones?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.