Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

LHR-ORD-IAD-LGA-LHR - This week - Anxiety Attack

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:35 am
Original Poster

hi all,

very infrequent poster on these forums, though i have benefited immensely from the wisdom here.

i have a business trip to Chicago, Washington DC and NYC coming up. i am flying out from LHR this weekend and returning next weekend. trip was booked way back in Feb and all flight and hotels are non-refundable.

my company is asking me to travel simply because of the pre-paid tickets.

i am having an anxiety attack and am wondering if i am the only business traveller who is taking such risks.

any advice, assurance, appreciated.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
May I ask what you are anxious about?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
May I ask what you are anxious about?
being infected while on the flights and during my travel in the States. meetings etc.

i am not attending any conferences and other than two lunches, where there will be about 8 attendees each, i will not be in any group environment.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:04 am
Suspended

I wouldn’t worry too much but it is your choice. I have two US trips this month. Your carrier may offer to change your flight until later in the year.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:34 am

You can likely change your dates free of charge. Be aware that many of your business meetings might be canceled as tele-work and social distancing may become the norm very soon. I'd delay all non essential travel.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by coolshades
hi all,

very infrequent poster on these forums, though i have benefited immensely from the wisdom here.

i have a business trip to Chicago, Washington DC and NYC coming up. i am flying out from LHR this weekend and returning next weekend. trip was booked way back in Feb and all flight and hotels are non-refundable.

my company is asking me to travel simply because of the pre-paid tickets.

i am having an anxiety attack and am wondering if i am the only business traveller who is taking such risks.

any advice, assurance, appreciated.
Reconfirm that you will be able to attend all of your business engagements. Many firms are now not taking any meetings with counterparties that have recently traveled internationally. These policies are often being implemented at the last minute. If you cant go to your meetings, it may not make sense to travel
miles4CDG and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Is your travel 'business essential' just because it is pre-paid? Doesn't sound logical for me.

Not only a lot of businesses canceled events, a lot of them now won't allow visitors at their premises any more. You should really check what situation looks like.

As long as being infected - unless you are 70+ years old with underlying health problems - you most likely will be fine. The problem is not that virus will make you sick.. bigger problem, especially these who are younger - is they might be virus carrier and spread it around, even when they show no sighs of it.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Breathing is a risk it seems these days. According to the media we are all doomed and nowhere is safe. As for me, I shook hands with a few people on Saturday night, was at a crowded gin fest, and didn't give it a second thought. I'm not living like a monk because the media is whipping up a clickbait storm. I am happy to look at the data that exists and make my own decisions. My business trips are all to the US and I would have no hesitation in going. The media has a lot to answer for the anxiety and panic that exists. I had to buy toilet paper over the weekend as we were running low and I felt like shouting out "this is not a panic buy, we have genuinely run out".

I am hoping that the Premier League is cancelled though as that would rather upset Liverpool fans. Although saying that Jurgen Klopp gave the most sensible answer to coronavirus about people asking for opinions:

Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Breathing is a risk it seems these days. According to the media we are all doomed and nowhere is safe. As for me, I shook hands with a few people on Saturday night, was at a crowded gin fest, and didn't give it a second thought. I'm not living like a monk because the media is whipping up a clickbait storm. I am happy to look at the data that exists and make my own decisions. My business trips are all to the US and I would have no hesitation in going. The media has a lot to answer for the anxiety and panic that exists. I had to buy toilet paper over the weekend as we were running low and I felt like shouting out "this is not a panic buy, we have genuinely run out".

I am hoping that the Premier League is cancelled though as that would rather upset Liverpool fans. Although saying that Jurgen Klopp gave the most sensible answer to coronavirus about people asking for opinions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkIZZCbxngQ
While I can understand this point of view, from a purely practical standpoint, this is going to limit your ability to travel with the same freedom and conduct business normally whether you or others agree with it or not
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:01 am
Suspended

Why are you nervous? The UK is also dealing with the virus.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you suggesting that your employer would be fine cancelling the meetings the ticket could be refunded or credited?

If that is the case, it seems foolish, but nonetheless, you could check your carrier's COVID rebooking policy. Depending on when you booked, it is possible that the tickets may be cancelled for a full refund or certainly changed to later dates.

As others note, but without knowing the nature of your meetings, consider that many businesses have their people working remotely and that you may wind up flying over the Atlantic only to do a video / audio conference call from a hotel room which you could have done from your office/home.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:04 am
Suspended

On a separate note, there is no LGA to LHR flight.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Adelphos
While I can understand this point of view, from a purely practical standpoint, this is going to limit your ability to travel with the same freedom and conduct business normally whether you or others agree with it or not
Yes, I find it all rather pathetic.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I believe everybody has his/ her own point of view on this situation, but I was traveling to Munich this weekend, every pub/ bar was full and everything was business as usual. I have enjoyed a few nice beers around Lake Starnberg in the sun and it was great.

A virus will certainly not make me change/ cancel any of my travel plans. And I am especially much more afraid of the London Underground when it comes to any bugs.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by coolshades
being infected while on the flights and during my travel in the States. meetings etc.

Why do people assume they are safer in their own country.

The virus is in the UK and already spreading.

why should a meeting in the US be more risky than a meeting in ones own work place

The person next to you in the supermarket checkout may have the virus.
Online shopping - how do we know the person who packed your order or delivered it does not have the virus

it may be possible to work from home but this is only really useful if the whole family stay home.
I can work from home but my wife can't. She works as a house keeper in a hotel with customers from many different countries. should I lock my wife out to reduce my risk.

its almost impossible to avoid interaction with other people.

the best anyone can do is

Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly. Do not touch your face especially eyes, nose and mouth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.