Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

LHR-ORD-IAD-LGA-LHR - This week - Anxiety Attack

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-ORD-IAD-LGA-LHR - This week - Anxiety Attack

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:01 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by BearX220
Can you provide examples? Many events are being cancelled or postponed in my city, but I don't know of any building that is screening international travelers from entering, especially ones with shops or restaurants in them.
As of last week, many colleagues reported that they had to assume corporate security at wherever meeting that they were going to that they had not traveled to Italy/China/Korea/etc. As of this week, many companies are discouraging meeting with external clients (we aren’t at our firm). This is more of a corporate policy rather than “buildings” or restaurants restricting international visitors
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
As a resident in both the UK and Chicago, I'm due to fly LHR-ORD early next week and have another 6 tickets booked through to August. I'm actively monitoring the situation, however, unless something happens, I'm keeping my travel plans. The issue is that this is a very active and fluid situation. The US response to the coronavirus situation has been very poor. The virus will have been present in the US for some time now and been allowed to go unchecked. Once the test becomes more widely available, I expect the number of reported sufferers will skyrocket causing both the government and people to panic. I'm not alone in this opinion and the situation will get worse before it gets better.

My own considerations include whether the US imposes quarantine conditions on travellers from the UK or the UK imposes the same on travellers from the US. Israel is already imposing self-isolation for 14 days on all inbound travellers but, before implementing that policy on a blanket basis, restrictions on travellers from the US were being considered specifically. Being resident in Chicago, I live, sleep and can eat in my own space which I control. Visiting and staying in hotels means there's a lack of that same level of control. Furthermore, every meal must be taken either at a hotel or restaurant.

As others have posted above, many companies in the US have imposed no-travel policies and many conferences and meetings have been cancelled. Having a non-refundable plane ticket is not a good reason to make the trip if meetings can be conducted over the phone. By not going, the cost of hotel and meals will also be saved.

My strategy is to only travel if I have to, be mindful of everything I touch, wash hands regularly with soap and water (20 seconds) and keep hands away from my mouth, nose and eyes. Hand sanitiser and wipes are only effective if they're alcohol-based with sanitiser being at least 60% alcohol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.