Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 and travel/medical insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19 and travel/medical insurance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you want COVID-19 only coverage? Does your regular USA medical coverage include or exclude trips abroad?
I have MEDJET but i found out that they are useless now. They dont cover many countries in Europe now. Its is basically useless.

So I am looking for COVID and Medical insurance for Europe. I hope i explained it. I want to be covered for ANY medical expense including COVID hospitalization if am forced to get quarantined in Europe.

I hope I clarified things.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rove312
I used www.sevencorners.com based on a recommendation here for a just-completed trip to Croatia; didn't make any claim.
When i read comments on their facebook posts I read mixed reviews of people still waiting for their money or previous claims.

I would love to hear from someone that have filed a claim with them to share their experience.
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
It would help if we knew your current medical insurance coverage.

If you have Medicare and a supplemental, you should check your supplemental coverage since many of those do cover foreign travel (while Medicare itself does not).

OTOH, if you are covered by private insurance, you need to check with them for coverage and limitations. I would do this first before buying additional policies since you may already be adequately covered. Check your credit cards as well. Certain premium cards have insurance when travel is purchased through them.

Finally, if you are looking only for Covid coverage (which I would not recommend, personally) then you actually have to do the work yourself since there may be limitations based on age, location, prior health, etc.

And LondonElite is right. Don't spend the money till you are certain you are going
which I would not recommend, personally) WHY NOT?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Sorry to ask the obvious question, but have you confirmed that you are able to travel to whatever country in Europe you plan to visit? As you probably know, there are some rigorous restrictions in place at the moment.
I am aware of all the restrictions. I do work in the Power industry and will have a formal letter from the Utility that I am a Essential worker and that I am needed. I would be arriving into AMS. Another US contractor received the same clearance. Upon arrival into AMS he showed the letter and was allowed in and waived quarantine.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by feysul
which I would not recommend, personally) WHY NOT?
Buying site specific or condition specific insurance is almost always a very poor use of your insurance money. It is like buying a cancer policy. They are very expensive and almost never needed. When they are, exclusions and limitations make them a dubious value for money spent. (I could give examples but will save time and space)

It is far better to get just a good general policy that covers all illness, not just specific ones.
feysul likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:36 pm

I have MEDJET but i found out that they are useless now. They dont cover many countries in Europe now. Its is basically useless.

So I am looking for COVID and Medical insurance for Europe. I hope i explained it. I want to be covered for ANY medical expense including COVID hospitalization if am forced to get quarantined in Europe.

I hope I clarified things.
If your employer is sending you to Europe for work, then they should be responsible for providing you with adequate health and travel insurance for the duration you will be working there.

I would call the human resources department of the contractor you are working for and start with them. If your work insurance does not cover your work outside the country, then you need to discuss that issue with your company.

If you are an independent contractor, then you should be carrying your own medical insurance (which I presume you obtained through some insurance broker) and you will need to contact them to see if they can issue a health insurance rider to cover your week of work in Europe so that you will be insured. It will probably be the best coverage with the lowest cost.

If you have Obamacare, that will not (in general) cover foreign travel and you will still need to purchase a separate policy for your trip.
feysul likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:38 pm

If your employer is sending you to Europe for work, then they should be responsible for providing you with adequate health and travel insurance for the duration you will be working there.

I would call the human resources department of the contractor you are working for and start with them. If your work insurance does not cover your work outside the country, then you need to discuss that issue with your company.

If you are an independent contractor, then you should be carrying your own medical insurance (which I presume you obtained through some insurance broker) and you will need to contact them to see if they can issue a health insurance rider to cover your week of work in Europe so that you will be insured. It will probably be the best coverage with the lowest cost.

If you have Obamacare, that will not (in general) cover foreign travel and you will still need to purchase a separate policy for your trip.
You re correct and they will do it. But the purpose of my post here is see anyone in this community can recommend a company that is reputable or they have experience with, I would pass their name along to HR.

Thanks for your response.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You re correct and they will do it. But the purpose of my post here is see anyone in this community can recommend a company that is reputable or they have experience with, I would pass their name along to HR.

Thanks for your response.
Respectfully, that's HR's job. If they can't put in place a sensible global insurance policy for an essential worker and require input from an internet bulletin board, then I think there might be bigger issues to be worried about. Really. this is something best left to the insurance broker/consultant that your company uses.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Respectfully, that's HR's job. If they can't put in place a sensible global insurance policy for an essential worker and require input from an internet bulletin board, then I think there might be bigger issues to be worried about. Really. this is something best left to the insurance broker/consultant that your company uses.
Not only is it HR's job, but I cannot imagine that HR wants an employee's input into the insurance purchasing policies of a company (at least none that I know of).

Companies may give you choices for how much you want to spend for coverage including deductibles and co pays, but choices will be limited to the insurer(s) the company contracted with who are providing the policy(s).

In my opinion, if your company is sending you overseas for work, they should provide you with full, non-deductible, no co pay insurance for the time you will be there. Just saying.....
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your employer is large enough to have an HR department, even an HR person, it also has an insurance broker which advises (and arranges) on all aspects of this. In addition, some employers choose not to insure and to simply cover risk themselves. You also point to issues such as quarantine or isolation. E.g., you are traveling and suddenly stuck in a hotel room with room service for 14 days. That is not medical coverage, but again something which your employer may simply choose to cover out-of-pocket. Similarly, if the situation changes and you need to hop on a flight and all that is left is the last F seat at some absurd price, you need to know that it will be covered. Finally, medevac is essential for anyone who travels, but a lot of commercial policies cover that, albeit not as part of health care.

Thus, the best thing here is to sit down with your HR people and make certain that you understand how and what is covered and what you need to do.

Finally, terms such as "Obamacare" don't help. While the ACA does not require coverage outside the US, most plans do provide it. You may already have what you need.

Last edited by Often1; Sep 11, 2020 at 8:29 am
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:30 pm

I wanted to check-in to this thread to ask.. I'm a U.S citizen who is planning on spending 3 months - 6 months in Mexico as a tourist. What is a good and affordable travel insurance option that covers general health / accidents in addition to COVID-19 related things? I already know that my health insurance in the U.S does NOT cover me outside of the country. So I really need some suggestions for reputable travel insurance that also covers for COVID-19 related things for a long visit to Mexico.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:51 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
I wanted to check-in to this thread to ask.. I'm a U.S citizen who is planning on spending 3 months - 6 months in Mexico as a tourist. What is a good and affordable travel insurance option that covers general health / accidents in addition to COVID-19 related things? I already know that my health insurance in the U.S does NOT cover me outside of the country. So I really need some suggestions for reputable travel insurance that also covers for COVID-19 related things for a long visit to Mexico.
I have recently been checking into Safety Wing which came recommended by friends who are from New Zealand. Safety Wing covers worldwide and recently added Covid related illness. It works well for longer trips, especially when you don't know yet how long you are staying since you can pay by the month instead of for a specific time period.

I am not sure yet if they will cover coming from Canada since our government still has a travel advise against non-essential travel but since you are from the US, it seems like it could be something that would work for you.

https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
I have recently been checking into Safety Wing which came recommended by friends who are from New Zealand. Safety Wing covers worldwide and recently added Covid related illness. It works well for longer trips, especially when you don't know yet how long you are staying since you can pay by the month instead of for a specific time period.

I am not sure yet if they will cover coming from Canada since our government still has a travel advise against non-essential travel but since you are from the US, it seems like it could be something that would work for you.

https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance
I am wondering about the issue of traveling against the wishes of your government.

If you go against government policy and travel for anything other than an allowed exception, and become ill with Covid, can this or any insurance carrier deny coverage since you participated in something that was proscribed by legal entities?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I am wondering about the issue of traveling against the wishes of your government.

If you go against government policy and travel for anything other than an allowed exception, and become ill with Covid, can this or any insurance carrier deny coverage since you participated in something that was proscribed by legal entities?
That's usually exactly the exclusion wording in insurance documents.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: AA DL UA
Hi all,

Just starting to plan a trip from the US to the UK for late August/mid-September 2021.

I have just bought one-way outbound award tickets from United which I believe I can cancel without penalty.

I think I'd like to buy cancel for any reason (CFAR) insurance, and I am starting by looking at the squaremouth and insuremytrip sites.

For my specific destination (UK), there's currently a quarantine in effect, and my primary worry is that this might still be in effect though Sept 2021.

So far, I'm not seeing lots of choices for CFAR insurance -- does anyone who has researched this carefully have any recommendations?

One other important point: this trip was supposed to happen in Sept 2020 and got postponed for a year by the company from whom we booked lodging. So we made our first deposit for that lodging in December 2019. This *might* mean that we won't be eligible for CFAR insurance, which generally seems to require that one buy the policy within a short time of making the initial deposit.

TIA

Last edited by rtom; Oct 1, 2020 at 11:16 am Reason: adding an important point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.