Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Re-reoute to avoid travel restrictions? And when?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re-reoute to avoid travel restrictions? And when?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Question Re-reoute to avoid travel restrictions? And when?

I'm scheduled to go on a tour of Israel in mid-May. Today the trip organizer sent out an update email to all the participants, and it included this note:

Also, as a footnote, our tour operator asked me to pass this info on to you all:

“Please advise passengers coming from or with a connecting flight stopping in any of these countries to change their flight, as they will also not be allowed into Israel: South Korea, Japan, China, Macau, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Iran, Switzerland, Andorra, Austria, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Germany, San Marino, Italy, France and Spain. Other countries may be added.”
Now, I'd say that is good advice – if the trip were next week. But it seems like bad advice for a trip that is two months away. Just like countries could be added to the ban, countries could be removed.

So my question for my fellow FTers is, at what point would you consider booking a re-route to avoid the possibility of being denied entry? Obviously, the longer you wait, the more it is likely to cost. But waiting also might save you from a costly, and unnecessary, rebooking.

FWIW, I am not scheduled to visit or transit any of those countries between now and May, but neither would I consider immediately rebooking if I were.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As you said, who knows what will happen in May.

There was also a case of a Taiwanese tourist group this past week. Then went from Taipei->Istanbul->TLV on Turkish. The IST-TLV flight carried someone who was on the Diamond Princess and recovered. When he got to TLV, the virus came back (probably never fully recovered). So, the Israelis asked the Taiwanese to leave, after only being there for a day. They ended up chartering a TK flight and went back to TW.

Not only you have to worry the trip there, you have to worry about the trip back and who is on your plane. This is why a lot of people just cancel and not deal with all the uncertainties.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:35 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Where are you originating? Israel has been talking about banning pax originating in the US. IMO only a matter of time.

Since we can’t be sure what the bans will and will not include come May, I would keep an eye on the airline change/cancellation waivers and decide later. What is your current routing?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd be concerned about paying fees and/or fare difference to reroute now and then being forced to pay again if the new routing later causes entry problems.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
I'm scheduled to go on a tour of Israel in mid-May. Today the trip organizer sent out an update email to all the participants, and it included this note:

Now, I'd say that is good advice – if the trip were next week. But it seems like bad advice for a trip that is two months away. Just like countries could be added to the ban, countries could be removed.

So my question for my fellow FTers is, at what point would you consider booking a re-route to avoid the possibility of being denied entry? Obviously, the longer you wait, the more it is likely to cost. But waiting also might save you from a costly, and unnecessary, rebooking.

FWIW, I am not scheduled to visit or transit any of those countries between now and May, but neither would I consider immediately rebooking if I were.
Just FYI, Israeli media reports are suggesting the government is considering barring US tourists, or at least tourists coming from certain parts of the US.

Also, Israel has banned entry by foreigners coming from several countries in Europe, and that's led a bunch of European airlines (Lufthansa, Iberia, Alitalia) to suspend flights to Israel for a while. Things may be cleared up in a couple of months, or not - I'd just sit tight and watch developments. There's no point changing your flights now when whatever new flight you book might end up cancelled in two weeks or a month anyway.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:48 am

Air France has also stopped flying to Israel until the end of the month, for now. The self-quarantine from the US has been reported in the press but not confirmed by the Prime Minister’s office. I’d give it a day or two before visitors from the US will be barred similar to many European countries. Details in this article:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...rnia-arrivals/

Changing routing early will result in a whack-a-mole game of multiple reroutes until it is clear where/how/if you can eventually enter.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Air France has also stopped flying to Israel until the end of the month, for now. The self-quarantine from the US has been reported in the press but not confirmed by the Prime Minister’s office. I’d give it a day or two before visitors from the US will be barred similar to many European countries. Details in this article:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...rnia-arrivals/

Changing routing early will result in a whack-a-mole game of multiple reroutes until it is clear where/how/if you can eventually enter.
Seems so at leat im flying from Australia via Doha and Amman then to TLV If we arent allowed into Israel from Australia,, will Hilton TLV allow refund of a non-refundable booking? Seems like Israel has done the right thing and is protecting its borders Australia is letting any italian or anyone from Italy in when they have been expressly excluded from travel AND transit in many countries
I work in health in AU and we havent even been fitted for N95 masks, same as last time with SARS I travelled to TLV during Protective Edge when on ELAL LH and LX were flying to TLV and even though TLV was very quiet compared to a normal summer we could still enjoy Israel Im praying my trip wont go awry but with baited breath Ive already lost a Swiss flight from MXP-ZRH purchased as I dont want to travel in IT but if it continues LX wil lcancel TLV-ZRH vv in May and I wont be able to leave Israel but at least thats a SQ award

Last edited by cbourl; Mar 8, 2020 at 1:34 am Reason: TYPOS
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by cbourl
Seems so at leat im flying from Australia via Doha and Amman thent o TLV If we arent allowed int oIsrae lfro mAustralia, wil lHilton TLV allow refund of a non-refundable booking?
Best to ask in Coronavirus - does Hilton waive nonrefundable bookings?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:38 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Thx
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
This is incorrect info. Passenger solely in TRANSIT is not in scope.
"Anyone traveling in transit from these destinations will not be required to take any precautionary measures."
Source: https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rJu00vt64I

Also see: https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...rnia-arrivals/
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:00 pm

Mid-May is honestly an eternity in this current situation. My take is push out any changes as long as you can. I was supposed to be in Asia the next couple of weeks and adjusted to COVID logistical issues for several weeks before throwing up my hands and giving up. Which turned out to be good because my main purpose for going was to go to Bhutan which suspended all new tourist entries for two week starting on Friday and I was scheduled to fly in to Bhutan this Monday but would have already been in Asia on Friday and so would have really been stuck. But I did waste quite a bit of time and a little money rearranging things before giving up. I would just keep track of what your airlines are up to, keep an eye on your bookings and see what happens.

Edit: And CNN is now reporting that Israel is considering mandatory quarantine for all entrants to the country:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel is considering quarantine measures for everyone entering the country, including Israeli citizens and foreigners.

Speaking at a press conference at the Prime Minister’s Office Sunday evening, Netanyahu said, “We are not talking about closing our gates. We are just talking about requiring quarantine for all those who come to the country – returning Israelis and foreign nationals.”

Last edited by 36902BRF; Mar 8, 2020 at 1:12 pm
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just pay attention both to travel restrictions and quarantine requirements and then make decisions as the date approaches. There is no way that any person can tell you today that in May, flights will be operating, that you will be permitted to enter having departed from the US or connected anywhere enroute or that you won't be required to quarantine for 14 days on arrival and then again on return to the US.

The quarantine requirements, in particular, deserve attention as they do not prohibit travel, but may make it impractable for for you.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Clearing up my unclear OP

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Unfortunately, I guess I did not word my OP very well. When I said

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
I was not looking for advice on whether/when I should rebook this particular trip.

Instead, I was more interested in whether and how far out YOU personally would look at a re-routing for a trip you were planning, in the event you found yourself in similar circumstances (being told travel from or transit through certain countries would mean your being denied entrance to your destination).

I hope that is clearer!
Old Mar 8, 2020, 6:19 pm

The advice people gave gives you insights into what the would do. Generally they would wait until closer to a trip as the situation is very fluid.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:15 am
Original Poster

The advice people gave gives you insights into what the would do. Generally they would wait until closer to a trip as the situation is very fluid.
Thanks, yoisthezet, but I was looking for something more specific. As I said in my OP, I personally would not look at re-booking more than two months before my scheduled travel date when the situation is as fluid as things are now. So saying "wait until closer" doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

In my OP, I asked "at what point would you consider booking a re-route to avoid the possibility of being denied entry?"

So I'll ask you (and M60_to_LGA as well, thanks to the "like" of your post): how close would your trip need to be for you to consider re-routing if current guidance said you would be denied entry, based on your current itinerary? A couple of days? A week? Two weeks?

Again, I'm not asking people what I should do in my situation. I'm asking what all of YOU would do if you found yourselves in a similar situation. I'm interested in people's thought processes and rationale behind their decisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.