Old Mar 11, 20, 4:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
This thread is begging for a wiki!
Go ahead then, nothing's stopping you creating one
Old Mar 11, 20, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Schizophrenia International Research Conference scheduled for the beginning of April in Florence was just canceled. I canceled in late February but I thought the whole meeting would get canceled and now it has.
Alzheimers Disease / Parkinsonís Disease meeting AD/PD was canned around the same time in Vienna. Glad I was able to make it to ISCTM last month.
Old Mar 11, 20, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX View Post
I was going to a trade show about music in Burbank late March (synthplex) and it just got cancelled today.
So, I’m going to go anywhere and just hang out down there.

We’re just watching an insane feedback loop. I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.

News says things are scary.
People get scared and cancel random trips.
Government says ‘people are scared, we need to do something’
Government does ‘something’ - by making it more scary.

Employers fear liability, so they cancel ‘non-essential travel’ to look good to staff / media / government.
Events get canceled because some people can’t attend.
With cancelled events, no one travels.

The damage to the global economy.... Who can imagine right now?
The suffering of the poor who will lose jobs... how many will die?

All because of fear.

~157,000 people a DAY die in the world in general.
CV has killed 3000 in almost 4 months.
Almost all people who get it recover and move on.

Yet, here we are, stopping the engine of the world - because of fear.

And with all due respect to doctors - I treat them like my lawyers.
Their job is to give their best advice they can in their field.
It’s my job to actually use my brain to decide what I will do.

Most doctors I talk to are flabbergasted that there is such a panic about this.
So, for every doctor that is quoted as saying ‘omg, it’s the end of the world, PANIC!’ ....there are lots who think the exact opposite.
I think this is wishful thinking...

Looking across the globe I see different scenarios... I see Italy, with a seemingly higher than normal transmission rate and death rate, and I see South Korea, with a transmission rate and death rate that seem to be under control. If travel restrictions and other actions make the spread in the US more like South Korea than Italy, we should absolutely dial back on travel, social contact, etc for a month or two. In the grand scheme of things, a month of reduced travel isn't all that hard. And governments should do what they can to compensate lost wages and tips for certain employees.
artemis, notquiteaff and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
I think this is wishful thinking...

Looking across the globe I see different scenarios... I see Italy, with a seemingly higher than normal transmission rate and death rate, and I see South Korea, with a transmission rate and death rate that seem to be under control. If travel restrictions and other actions make the spread in the US more like South Korea than Italy, we should absolutely dial back on travel, social contact, etc for a month or two. In the grand scheme of things, a month of reduced travel isn't all that hard. And governments should do what they can to compensate lost wages and tips for certain employees.

Exactly. The sooner we act the less severe we will have to act, the fewer people will die and the shorter the restrictions will have to be in place. However, in the US we are critically hampered by a lack of testing capability. We can't control the disease that we can't test for.
artemis and notquiteaff like this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Life Plat
E3 Expo (June 9-11) in Los Angeles has been cancelled now too. Looks like they decided it was best to cancel well in advance and try to reduce some costs and headaches.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
St Patrick's Day parade, Scranton, PA "postponed":
https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/...sdi-story.html
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 1:28 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
2 events I am surprised were not cancelled

LA Marathon
Cheltenham Race in the UK (?) which sees thousands of spectators supposedly
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
I work in the medical field. Two recent major medical conferences cancelled in March, most notably ACC in Chicago at the end of March. Also, many hospitals are now telling staff/faculty no travel to any work conferences til mid April. Ouch, gonna keep getting worse.
I wonder if they're going to end up allowing medical people to skip continuing education this year, perhaps requiring twice as much next year.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
I work in the medical field. Two recent major medical conferences cancelled in March, most notably ACC in Chicago at the end of March. Also, many hospitals are now telling staff/faculty no travel to any work conferences til mid April. Ouch, gonna keep getting worse.
Another major medical conference AATS in New York at the END of April has now cancelled (or postponed indefinitely). Yikes, I'm seeing this hit the med industry hard now for travel and conferences.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 2:45 pm

A few weeks ago, Taiwan banned all medical personnel from travelling to other countries/regions - personal or business.

The risky thing about medical conventions is that if people end up catching something or end up in contact with someone with the virus and need to be quarantined, it can quickly deplete medical resources, which are in short supply all over the world even without Covid-19.
artemis and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 4:41 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
It is pretty striking that so many conferences and conventions are being cancelled, but sporting events, concerts, and all sorts of other events (political rallies) are going ahead as of now.
With the exception of major tournaments, March Madness, etc. sporting events tend to draw a local audience. Conferences and conventions tend to bring attendees in from all over the country and world. I can't think of a better way to spread a bug globally.

We always joke about how severe our CES (Consumer Electronic Show) colds will in a given year.
wrp96, Adelphos and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
I wonder if they're going to end up allowing medical people to skip continuing education this year, perhaps requiring twice as much next year.
I was just wondering about that with so many medical meetings being cancelled. However, can't continuing education be done on line or by video link?

WARNING: Many intercollegiate athletic events have been cancelled or will be played with only essential personnel plus perhaps a few family members in attendance. Be sure to check details before making travel plans.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 11, 20 at 5:23 pm
Old Mar 11, 20, 6:55 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
NAB, National Association of Broadcasters Convention, Apr 18-22 in Las Vegas has been cancelled.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 10:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Boston and Chicago have cancelled their St Patrick's Day parades too, although I don't know whether Chicago will put green dye in the river. NYC is cancelled too.

St Paul's (MN) parade is still scheduled for March 17th.

In the meantime, St Paul public school teachers are striking and the picket lines look like people are crowded together and shouting etc. in a way that permits spit and perhaps other body fluids to escape. School is cancelled but strike events are not.

ADDED: The St Paul parade and other events scheduled for St Patrick's Day have been cancelled (and the teachers' strike continues).
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 13, 20 at 12:26 am
Old Mar 11, 20, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I was just wondering about that with so many medical meetings being cancelled. However, can't continuing education be done on line or by video link?
Donít know if true for all specialities, but there are certainly smaller local events (grand rounds) that give credit. Not as nice as a fancy conference in Singapore, of course.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: