Events canceled/postponed due to COVID-19 [consolidated]

Old Jun 23, 20, 1:07 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
This week, I have to add four more incl. three more music festivals :
- Calgary Stampede in the last week of June;
- Calgary Folk Music Festival in July;uran
- Edmonton Folk Music Festival in August;
- Folk Alliance International in Kansas City in Feb 2021.
I don't get the last one? Seems a long time in advance? Wonder if its got to do with insurance? guarantees @ the Westin MCI?
There are a lot of non-refundable costs that must be paid in advance of a musical/arts event, and the small non-profit organizations that sponsor them cannot afford to lose that money if the event is canceled closer to the date. I just had a charter "theme cruise" canceled in mid-March and the charter sponsor is able to refund only 74% of the paid fare; 26% of the fare paid last November has already been spent on insurance, legal fees, equipment rentals, hotel guarantees, etc.

The National Cowboy Poetry Festival scheduled for late January 2021 was canceled 2 weeks ago. I think it must be the same problem. The Western Folklife Center which sponsors the festival can't afford to pay out those non-refundable expenses and then have no festival revenue.

When MerleFest, scheduled for late April 2020, was canceled around February, I just donated the cost of the tickets I had purchased - they need the money for those same advance costs.
Old Jun 23, 20, 7:37 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Houston Grand Opera has cancelled it season until at least Feb, 2021
Old Jun 30, 20, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
American Society of Human Genetics scheduled for San Diego in late October of 2020 has announced it will convert to all virtual. Typically 8000-9000 people I think.
Old Jul 1, 20, 10:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
The Austin City Limits music festival has been cancelled. They hope to return next year for their 20th anniversary:
https://www.kut.org/post/acl-fest-ca...RlmvUXgmUUqe4s

Austin City Limits Music Festival has been officially canceled this year, with organizers saying it's "the only responsible solution."

Organizers of the two-weekend festival hope to return to Zilker Park Oct. 1-3 and Oct. 8-10, 2021, to celebrate the event's 20th anniversary.

"The health and safety of our fans, artists, partners, staff and the entire Austin community remains our highest priority," ACL Fest said on its website Wednesday.

Fans who have already bought tickets will be able to use them for next year's festival, ACL said, without a change in price. Refunds will go out to those who bought tickets directly through the festival and cannot attend next year's dates.
Old Jul 2, 20, 7:09 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Broadway is shut until Jan, 2021
Old Jul 8, 20, 3:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Houston Mayor cancels Texas Republican convention:
https://www.kut.org/post/houston-may..._KwV2rucOyLYmo

After weeks of political posturing between state Republicans and Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner, the mayor on Wednesday said he’s canceling the Texas Republican Party’s in-person convention, an event that was scheduled to be held at downtown Houston’s George R. Brown Convention Center beginning on July 16.
Not to take this too far into -PR land, but why this is such a big deal:
* Texas is having a large surge in Coronavirus right now, with Houston being hit especially hard
* Hospitals in the Houston area are very close to capacity, especially ICU beds
* The Texas Democratic convention was already held, virtually, so they proved that it could be done
Old Jul 13, 20, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This was just communicated in a personal (but not confidential) email I received that I don't feel I should post or link (and I don't expect that any major media will cover this announcement, so you'll need either to trust me or to ignore this post--I don't have any financial or other conflicts of interest in posting this), but the American Economic Association has just cancelled its annual convention (ASSA = Allied Social Science Association, including not only AEA but also American Finance Association (AFA), Econometric Society, Economic Science Association, Economic History, Labor Relations, URPE = Union of Radical Political Economists, Feminist Economics, Peace Economists, etc.; I don't have the complete list handy, although I guess it's possible that some of these smaller groups could arrange their own in person meetings this fall/winter) which was scheduled to be held in Chicago (IIRC with headquarters in the Hyatt Regency downtown in the Loop on Waker Drive), involving about thirty hotels (with approximately ten thousand registered participants and about ten thousand room nights for two or three days) during the first weekend in January.

The alternative virtual meeting (without networking, special events, social events, or book and other exhibits) will be held online, with registration fees to be announced later. It'll is unclear whether the AEA plans to do anything to facilitate the traditional job market, including convention interviews which presumably will now largely occur on line.

Last year's convention was held in San Diego at the same time. The meeting rotates around a small set of USA cities that have enough hotel and meeting space within roughly walking distance (NYC, DC, Boston, Atlanta, San Francisco, Philadelphia, New Orleans, etc. but not Honolulu or Las Vegas) and contracts are normally signed almost five years in advance.
kthomas likes this.
Old Jul 17, 20, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
not surprising

The Canadian equivalent - the CEA - was cancelled in May and will be held instead in 2021 @ UBC:
https://www.economics.ca/events/54th...ation-meetings

Search this Thread
Search Engine: