Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Work / corporate travel bans - COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Work / corporate travel bans - COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by The Lev
I attended a meeting earlier this week with a large US-based supplier and they have implemented an air travel ban. They had to get special dispensation to proceed with the meeting in Florida and their personnel who were coming from Europe were told to no-show. Seems a bunch of US tech companies like Amazon have implemented non-essential travel bans.

This will get really ugly for airlines.
Indeed.
Saw a report yesterday that a Amz employee in Seattle working out of their 'Brazil' building tested positive. And this building is where we go for meetings.
Also I read that four US states have declared emergencies (Washington, California, Hawaii and one other) and I expect a few more to follow suit. Obviously no US company will allow travel to those states due to the risk of being sued if something happens to their employees.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC E35K
I assume you are talking about business travel and not what someone is doing in their private life away from work?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
SFO based, professional services. US domestic travel currently has no restrictions, but subject to clients' policies. No non-client international travel through April. Client international travel is permitted except to Italy, China, HK, Macau, South Korea, Iran, and subject to clients' own restrictions. If you have personal travel to or via any of the restricted places, then you have to self-quarantine at home for 14 days.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC SE
Worldwide non-essential travel ban. Complete travel ban to or from the heavily affected countries (China, Japan, South Korea, Italy, India, Iran, a few others). Mandatory office shut down in those countries with work from home. All other countries have the option of working from home now, based on manager discretion.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
As I mentioned last week, my company has banned all international travel and has "requested" no domestic travel. They are expecting this to the end of Q2.

I've had to cancel 55k AQM and $15k AQD.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
There's a bunch of companies announcing travel bans every time I look at the news. Honestly though, where covid-19 is concerned what started out as prudence has now eroded into full-blown panic.

WHO notes that there have been 90,000 confirmed cases of covid-19 since the beginning of the year, and just over 3,000 deaths.

WHO also notes that common colds and garden-variety flu infects an average of 50 to 60 million people worldwide every single year, and kill 650,000 of them on average. Yet no one bans travel over that.

Perhaps the entire world might want to take a moment to regain some perspective here. It's clearly been lost at this point.
The Lev, Lehava, YOWCDNFF and 13 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Our largest customer in Europe banned all travel today. One of our large NA customers has banned meetings with anyone from a state or country that has a reported COVID-19 virus. Our travel spending is falling off a cliff.

I should go dig up the Globe piece from last week that still had AC stock a buy right now and laugh at it. Short.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Symmetre
There's a bunch of companies announcing travel bans every time I look at the news. Honestly though, where covid-19 is concerned what started out as prudence has now eroded into full-blown panic.
Perhaps not so much full-blown panic, but the misguided belief that we will still be able to avoid exposure.

Which also means that we'll reach a stage where the risk is the same or less at destination than at home. At which point travel bans no longer make any sense.

This said, my perception is that at this point, Canada is doing a good job, while the US is not. Which may mean that the thing will reach the full-blown stage across the border, closing it not being a realistic proposition.

But eh, if not so many people reach SE status, why should I complain? :-)
Symmetre likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Our internal (sales), external (marketing) and the overloads marketing events have been canceled. Travel within and to APAC, forbidden. Milan and the Toronto offices are closed.

Regular consulting travel is is now discretionary, which means optional only if you want to not be billable, I guess.

I'm personally not going to change anything until I'm directed to change something.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: hahaha
YEG based, at a university so there's always students and faculty going here and there. Here's an excerpt of a campus-wide email we got an hour ago

Avoid all university travel to Iran. All non-essential university travel to China, Northern Italy and South Korea (Daegu and Cheongdo) is suspended. Employees and students travelling internationally are strongly encouraged to follow the latest Global Affairs Canada travel advisories, and review their insurance coverage accordingly. All employees travelling on university business should register with the university’s UGo system. All students travelling on university business *must* register with the university’s UGo system
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asovse1
YEG based, at a university so there's always students and faculty going here and there. Here's an excerpt of a campus-wide email we got an hour ago

They are late. At YYC, dated Feb. 28:

After careful consideration of the risks to the campus community from travel to countries experiencing community transmission of COVID-19, the University of Calgary has suspended all travel to the following areas for student and non-academic staff until September 2020:

· China
· Hong Kong
· Japan
· Iran
· Italy
· South Korea
· Singapore

Academic staff are also being encouraged to avoid travel to these countries.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
My employer (Global Satcoms operator, headquartered in UK) has banned all travel to China full stop. Business Essential travel to a list of affected countries - Korea, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Iran, Italy etc. Only business essential attendance at conferences. Book flexible tickets / hotels where possible.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
global conference cancelled (~8,000 attendees) and will be done via webcast. travel ban on 'non essential' travel and only with division head approval. individuals can decline to travel even for essential if they don't want to. all events globally cancelled. this is in addition to ban on the usual countries identified by others.
I just cancelled 5 ticks ~ 45000 aqm
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:09 pm

No travel outside of NA for business purposes unless executive approval. Personal travel outside of NA needs to be reported.

Travel within Canada/USA/Mexico still ok.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:12 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by Symmetre

WHO notes that there have been 90,000 confirmed cases of covid-19 since the beginning of the year, and just over 3,000 deaths.

WHO also notes that common colds and garden-variety flu infects an average of 50 to 60 million people worldwide every single year, and kill 650,000 of them on average. Yet no one bans travel over that.

Perhaps the entire world might want to take a moment to regain some perspective here. It's clearly been lost at this point.
Avoiding exposure may be a lost cause for some and there is, indeed, some panic. But, reducing unnecessary travel can slow the spread of the disease. That gives us more time to get out of flu season, find a vaccine, etc.

Perhaps you might take a moment to consider your own qualifications before making such generalizations.
ijgordon, Buster and lukew like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.