Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Work / corporate travel bans - COVID-19

Work / corporate travel bans - COVID-19

Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
We have had zero advice/instructions about whom we can let into our buildings. The message about working from home was "if you are able to do so, then do so". For me it doesn't matter because unless I am travelling (of course I am not at the moment) I am WAH. But chatting to people yesterday in one of our Germany offices I was surprised that it was a full office. Especially on a Friday.
Yesterday was our last day at the office before full WFH, and some VP authorised some randoms to turn up for a meeting....

In an office where every freakin’ cat in the herd wants to use a different collaboration tool, this has at least driven uptake of Teams. Just a few more strays left to herd.

Edit: Bit that got deleted earlier: We have offices in China and banned all travel in and out of the country very quickly. All other travel has been discouraged for the month or so. Anyone who can work from home is strongly encouraged to do so.
Silver Fox and SamirD like this.

Last edited by Internaut; Mar 14, 2020 at 10:34 am
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:40 am

My company has banned non essential travel. My current project has been deemed essential travel so I leave for the DC area in a week. Probably CA, CO, and NY in April / May.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:25 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Moderator note: I’ve deleted several off-topic and/or argumentative posts, and there are likely more I have missed. Please note this is not a place to debate whether or not you believe there are over/under reactions to the pandemic. This thread is to discuss corporate travel band.

l etoile
forum moderator
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
This only started in SE Asia a month ago, so I agree, give it a week or two and you will start seeing it.

Have your clients requested you business continuity plans yet? Can you share the industry/nature of your clients? Assume you are in the US?
Yes, US. I don't know what our customers have asked of us. We have implemented WFH. Let's just say our software is mission critical - especially when things get worse. I would expect our customers to not want any system changes and outside visitors during this time. However, the more important thing is our numbers... I guess this is an example of "it is not about you, it is about me" on the corporate level...
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by 84fiero
US Dept of Defense has stopped most all domestic official travel through 11 May, adding to prior international restrictions. Includes permanent change of station and new hire onboarding travel.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/dod-...onday-1.622392
​​​​​​Earlier this week, I submitted a two page-long list of trips and justifications for my office's travel throughout the WESTPAC and CONUS regions. I'll be interested in seeing what my SES chooses to accept as mission critical.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Wife told me that her sister-in-law in Toronto working at a major Canadian bank just got WFH starting Monday.

And apparently everyone loves my wife's WFH setup because she's been using mine while I'm staying with my dad out-of-state.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:21 pm

I work for a large (200k+ employees) global business. All travel to & from East Asia was stopped in Jan itself with a ban on all international travel from Mar 1. Any exception requires senior management approval - if an employee falls ill / is travelling to an affected area for business, then self quarantine at full pay without affecting personal leave balance. All personal travel outside the base country to be reported - if returning from an affected area / falls ill, then the quarantine comes out of the leave balance if the employee is not able to work.

We rolled out Teams on a very large scale late last year, switched off a few other legacy tools in Jan and this is finally forcing people to starting using the new stuff.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by finlandia
​​​​​​Earlier this week, I submitted a two page-long list of trips and justifications for my office's travel throughout the WESTPAC and CONUS regions. I'll be interested in seeing what my SES chooses to accept as mission critical.
So far our SES doesn't consider TDYs we have scheduled currently as mission critical. Which, we are a HQ staff office so most of our work is oversight and policy-related - nothing that can't wait by any means. We do have a couple of folks deployed but IIRC they're not scheduled to return for several months anyway. Most of our base is weapon system acquisition though so I'm curious whether some of their organizations might have some exceptions - haven't heard from my friends in those offices yet what they're doing.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by invisible
Consider yourself lucky.

Let me guess - do you have life insurance policy and her as the main beneficiary?
Haha! As I said in another thread, my main concern is getting stuck somewhere with no easy way back or with quarantine requirements. No real interest in finding out the hard way!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Haha! As I said in another thread, my main concern is getting stuck somewhere with no easy way back or with quarantine requirements. No real interest in finding out the hard way!
We have a new thread for that.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Back to work related restrictions:

All travel, regardless how essential it is, now is banned after we had positive case in our office:

In view of increasing travel restrictions around the world, all overseas travel including business-critical travel originating from Singapore should be cancelled for the rest of March.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: too many
Update for me:
All business travel suspended immediately
work from home for the UK office starting now.
All personal travel back from APAC and Schengen area implies a 2-week quarantine at home
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:48 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Malaysia has announced a lockdown of the country from Wednesday. Malaysian citizens will not be able to leave the country. 300k people cross the bridges every day to work in Singapore. They have 24 hours to decide where they will be for the next two weeks at minimum. Will be interesting as these are commuters and don’t have residences to stay at in Singapore.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by invisible
Back to work related restrictions:

All travel, regardless how essential it is, now is banned after we had positive case in our office:
For Singapore, all travel and all international travel are the same.

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Malaysia has announced a lockdown of the country from Wednesday. Malaysian citizens will not be able to leave the country. 300k people cross the bridges every day to work in Singapore. They have 24 hours to decide where they will be for the next two weeks at minimum. Will be interesting as these are commuters and don’t have residences to stay at in Singapore.
Will Singapore let them stay as long as necessary? And do they risk losing jobs if they don't stay?

AFAIK many Malaysians working in Singapore would have domestic and service sector positions. They generally wouldn't pay well but would be better than jobs at home with similar qualifications.

One example is that Raffles Hotel proudly operates with a primarily Malaysian staff.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:15 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For Singapore, all travel and all international travel are the same.
There is domestic business travel in Singapore. But when your employer says you are only allowed to work in your primary work location, you are not allowed to hop in a taxi to visit a customer. That is what our company policy has come to.

But I think his point was even business critical travel is forbidden now.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Will Singapore let them stay as long as necessary? And do they risk losing jobs if they don't stay?

AFAIK many Malaysians working in Singapore would have domestic and service sector positions. They generally wouldn't pay well but would be better than jobs at home with similar qualifications.

One example is that Raffles Hotel proudly operates with a primarily Malaysian staff.
Unknown. Singapore declares that even ASEAN citizens are now prevented from entering Singapore without prior clearance from the Singapore embassy in their home country which will include providing health information. But they explicitly excluded the land bridge crossings with Malaysia. Those who have jobs will have a work pass for Singapore so they should have no issue staying in Singapore until their pass expires or is renewed. Generally these are issues for 2-3 years. There are Malaysians of all socioeconomic levels and even some Singaporeans who live in Johor and commute every day. Like Hoboken.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.