Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Work / corporate travel bans - COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Work / corporate travel bans - COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My (USA) employer is encouraging any employee who thinks that he/she might have been exposed to the corona virus during domestic or international business travel to file a worker's compensation claim.

Anyone else?

We now have a ban on all employer-paid domestic or foreign business travel by any employee, with (essential) exceptions requiring very high level approval in advance. This starts in a couple days and lasts at least six weeks, although I haven't seen anything regarding people who are currently traveling. The prohibition apparently includes travel by private car, etc., and isn't even limited to travel away from home overnight. Nonemployee business travel that will be reimbursed apparently is *not* included in the ban, although there is language about covering nonrefundable expenses associated with voluntary cancellation of travel.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
All of my clients have currently banned the following for all employees, suppliers, and contractors

- No air travel anywhere, no overnight hotel stays anywhere
- No in-person meetings of more than 10 people
- No access to any other building or facility than your assigned location without EVP/SVP approval
- No external visitors
- Avoid any in-person meetings if at all possible and work from home if at all possible
- All non-business critical projects put on hold

Mind you these are manufacturing companies with global supply chains.
Not sure how long they can sustain themselves operating like this, but this is going to kill the economy if this lasts beyond the end of the month.

I am chilling at home, with not a lot of work to do for the near-future. Hope my employer keeps sending me direct deposit every 2 weeks.
I need to go to Lowes and Home Depot to stock-up and knock off a lot of projects around the house during this downtime
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond
All travel at our firm cancelled til June end: no flights, no hotels, no in person meetings outside of organization.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
We are expecting to be told to WAH anyday now with no travel (circa 400k employees). Our well documented BC plans will no doubt prove useful. The last one I looked at still had "pagers" in it. My department doesn't have one. My how we laughed.....Pandemic, yup, that's what it is.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Symmetre
There's a bunch of companies announcing travel bans every time I look at the news. Honestly though, where covid-19 is concerned what started out as prudence has now eroded into full-blown panic.

WHO notes that there have been 90,000 confirmed cases of covid-19 since the beginning of the year, and just over 3,000 deaths.

WHO also notes that common colds and garden-variety flu infects an average of 50 to 60 million people worldwide every single year, and kill 650,000 of them on average. Yet no one bans travel over that.

Perhaps the entire world might want to take a moment to regain some perspective here. It's clearly been lost at this point.
Check the math. The death rate is what scares people.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My employer's travel policy has changed at least three times in the last week. It's very confusing about exactly what is prohibited, with examples that seem to contradict the policy and with key words, such as business and travel, not being defined.
adrianlondon and Silver Fox like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:55 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
My wife just got another travel notice from her company and told me that her friend who manages a lab at Stanford just got wfh orders today. Strangely enough, my wife's trip to Guatemala is still on for next month.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
So, numbers, China's population is ~1.4B, total cases 80790, deaths 3158, Italy ~60M, total cases 10149, deaths 631. China, ratio of population to infections is 17816, Italy 5957; China, ratio of population to deaths is 455771, Italy 95819. If we assume that the USA was going to fall somewhere in between those figures then infections would be ~18-55000, deaths ~700-3500. 1315 people die per day in the USA due to tobacco. I think the numbers seem low when looked at like that.
China shut down the whole country quarantining its population in place for 6 weeks, italy has placed the entire country in quarantine, closed down all businesses except supermarkets and pharmacies and is still experiencing exponentional growth in cases (which is why current numbers for italy are 50% higher than what you've written and your post is only a day old). Can you explain your logical reasoning for why the cases in the USA would just stop at those levels without intervention?
Jane's Addiction likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by IMOA
China shut down the whole country quarantining its population in place for 6 weeks, italy has placed the entire country in quarantine, closed down all businesses except supermarkets and pharmacies and is still experiencing exponentional growth in cases (which is why current numbers for italy are 50% higher than what you've written and your post is only a day old). Can you explain your logical reasoning for why the cases in the USA would just stop at those levels without intervention?
Maybe for the same reason there has been so few deaths in Germany? Or cases in Korea have stopped multiplying? Or Singapore has not collapsed without a Wuhan style lockdown?

North Italy and Wuhan and Iran are 3 places where things have gone awful very quickly. Other places may or may not see similar situations
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
Maybe for the same reason there has been so few deaths in Germany? Or cases in Korea have stopped multiplying? Or Singapore has not collapsed without a Wuhan style lockdown?

North Italy and Wuhan and Iran are 3 places where things have gone awful very quickly. Other places may or may not see similar situations
Both Singapore and Korea put in place a very effective campaign on monitoring and social distancing very early and these continue to now. The sorts of things that they did are exactly the sorts of things that I’d suggest are the best approach and exactly the sorts of things the ‘it’s only the flu’ crowd are calling overkill.

Germany has only been running for a week or so so I’d be waiting to see what the real results are. I really hope the first weeks results are indicative of the last.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:15 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Back to the subject, this came today in our Singapore office:

Who have had previous, current, and anticipated travel, whether business or personal, to the following COVID-19 affected countries:

- South Korea

- Iran

- Italy

- Germany

- France

- Spain

If you have arrived in Singapore after 04 Mar 2020, 2359 hrs from, or are currently in, any of the areas indicated above, you will be issued a 14-day Stay home Notice (SHN) by relevant local authorities.

If you are a Long-Term Pass Holder, and are anticipating travel to any of the areas indicated above, please complete the additional ‘Pre-Travel Declaration’ Form, to acknowledge the following activities:

1. Notify LHRS of your departure date back to Singapore (A mandatory MOM approval must be requested and completed, and be submitted min. 07 days, prior to returning back to Singapore).

2. Agree to make private transportation arrangements, from the airport directly to your place of residence, to serve the 14-day SHN period, upon arrival in Singapore.

3. Must be contactable, and respond to MOM’s phone calls, WhatsApp Video Calls, or SMSs, within 01 hr, during the 14-day SHN period.

4. If currently residing in a rental property provide with your landlord’s written consent to serve the 14-day SHN period there.

5. Agree to manage your own food, other daily essentials, and non-emergency medical needs, during the 14-day SHN period (you will not be allowed to leave your residence).
Regarding the very last part - if you are on work visa (is called employment pass), student/academic visa or long term visit visa - if you decide to go to any of the affected countries, you can't easily come back.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB

Cases here went up 50% today----1800 to 2700. Deaths are still low, but we are a week or more behind Italy in the growth of this. I do think some of the mistakes they made have scared the daylights out of leaders here and the reaction has been different.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by acrophobia
I’m NYC-based and work for an iconic global financial firm. Last week we issued our first COVID-related travel guidance:

1) All non-client facing travel is banned
2) Any international travel requires written executive-level approval
3) Any domestic travel requires written sr mgmt approval.
Yesterday afternoon, banned all travel - international and domestic - until further notice, and also implemented a firm-wide work from home policy.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Yesterday afternoon, banned all travel - international and domestic - until further notice, and also implemented a firm-wide work from home policy.
Got the same notice from my firm today. I'm grounded until further notice. Ugh.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:56 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by invisible
Regarding the very last part - if you are on work visa (is called employment pass), student/academic visa or long term visit visa - if you decide to go to any of the affected countries, you can't easily come back.
For EP or SPASS or Work Permit or all three?
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.