Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Work / corporate travel bans - COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Work / corporate travel bans - COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Legally, I can't see how an employer can dictate what you do in your time off. What's next, specifying what groups you can associate with and how you can vote? As a very minimum I would expect them to cover the cost of any non refundable prebooked arrangements so you're not out of pocket.
Indeed, this sounds very easy to challenge
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL
There is less of a difference between an outright ban and a 'strong suggestion' than you might think. I expect that many companies will go with the latter.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
"April or until the COVID19 issue has passed". Most countries will still have cases in 6 months +. In my opinion.

Organisations will change their travel policy when reality bites.
Or, the alternative outcome: reality doesn’t bite, the world keeps turning without business travel, and organisations cotton on that business travel is an easy cost centre to cut away at.
pudgym29, lhrsfo and Silver Fox like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Surely the most they can do is tell you if you need to self isolate after you return?
Silver Fox and alex67500 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
I am grounded too. All non critical trips are banned until further notice. My next trip is a redemption trip to WDH from CDG with BA and then onto VFA and LVI (mid may). Hope situation improves.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by DrGee
Don't forget that it's still possible to privately buy tickets that bring forth tier points.
The only issue with that strategy is you might have to "self-isolate" on the way back. I'm getting a taste of that this week and next even though the place I went to is not on PHE or the FCO website.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
My thoughts just now are with our fellow travellers who are struggling to get home wherever in the world they may effectively be stranded at the moment. Italy of course is the obvious one that springs to mind.
ijkh, lhrsfo and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
, I am expecting our employer to shortly ban personal international travel, too.
That won't fly.....
FlyingScientist and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
Based on some rumours I’ve heard in the office, I am expecting our employer (which has already banned business travel as of last week) to shortly ban personal international travel, too. Which is especially annoying as I’m flying BA to GIG (and travelling through South America before flying back from LIM) this coming weekend. Of course that ticket won’t be refundable and I can’t even get through to BA to find out if it’s changeable. For those of you whose employers are banning your personal travel, are they compensating you for lost airfare and hotels etc?
Banning personal travel? I’d like to see them try!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
It will be interesting to see whether... once the dust has settled in several months time.... companies realise how much they can save by using video conferencing. I suspect that one side effect of all of this is a permanent reduction in corporate travel budgets.
pudgym29 and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
My firm has effectively banned all non-essential work travel until mid-April. In terms of personal travel it remains at our discretion but we're asked to be mindful of changing circumstances that could result in issues at international borders or result in us having to self-quarantine upon our return or otherwise "cause a disruption" (whatever that means)!

I don't have any personal travel until the latter half of April so we'll see what happens then but I think it would be very difficult for any employer to try and restrict what its employees do in their own time. That said, however, if a Government was to impose travel restrictions (such as in Italy for example) then that would be a different matter.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ginger50
It will be interesting to see whether... once the dust has settled in several months time.... companies realise how much they can save by using video conferencing. I suspect that one side effect of all of this is a permanent reduction in corporate travel budgets.
This has been a topic for at least 15 years. It is nowhere near ripe. I hate all types of video conferencing, from Zoom/FaceTime to the really high end systems. They just don’t convey context and mood.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
It's actually an interesting concept. We invested a significant amount in VC capabilities but, from my personal perspective, it simply meant that meetings that were once just telephone conference calls became video conference calls and people travelled just as much as they did before. When you have a 12-hour time difference between the US and the Middle East and 16 hours between the US and Asia then sometimes face to face meetings are the only realistic option, especially if meetings are to take place over multiple days etc.

Where I work there's always money available for the things that people want to spend it on, and that includes travel and yet money is always the excuse when people don't want you to do something
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would not be surprised at all. This might be just the impetus that is needed to reduce the amount of travel that is done
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hilton Honors Platinum
Not grounded, and had an enjoyablly peaceful BA117 (LHR-JFK) today. Only 6 of us in F in total, CW mini cabin immediately behind F (on the 747) completely empty. Didn't see further back for load. CCR was like a ghost town at 7AM, and the main T5 concourse was similarly empty and a breeze to navigate!

In the Pharma industry and had to be in NY, but have many colleagues at other firms completely grounded. Only minor concern is being forced into quarantine on return (landing back at LHR Friday AM) but I think unlikely. Midtown Manhattan doesn't seem that quiet, a few masked people wandering around but that's it.
jerry305, mhy and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.