Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

International travel booking to USA in March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Dear fellow travellers,

The US gov't this week holded out potential travel bans to/from CV "hotspots" like, at this time, South Korea, Italy and Japan. Now that Germany has surpassed Japan in the number of CV cases, I totally believe travel restriction to/from Germany become fair game.

Though flights are not yet firm, I had originally planned travelling to the US from Germany directly or via UK. Either way, it would prevent me from entering the US. Now I thought about flying to Canada first, then (on another itinerary) fly to the US. This way I could still enter the US (CBP will depend on my revealing any travel history) and would only be reliant on Canadian policies, which seem less restrictive.

Another concern pertains to which airline to choose. Several airlines have arbitrarily and unreliably canceled flights so I am wondering which airline to choose at this point (I don't fly BA anymore, too unreliable)

Thanks for y'all input!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Don't even think about misleading immigration authorities.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
CBP can see the stamps in your passport...and unless you are a US citizen you need an ESTA which will reveal your travel history...

But good luck with that, I'm sure the prison community transfer rate of coronavirus will be low
ajGoes and jsl_313 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
CBP can see the stamps in your passport...and unless you are a US citizen you need an ESTA which will reveal your travel history...

But good luck with that, I'm sure the prison community transfer rate of coronavirus will be low
I'm German/Canadian
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CBP will absolutely know your travel history and will have it even before you land in the US. You will then be asked about your travel and, should you make a false statement, be denied entry in lieu of being prosecuted for the false statement. In either event you won't be coming back to the US for some number of years.
ajGoes and Duke787 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
What's your timeframe?

There's no indication that the US is about to ban European travelers or quarantine European travelers. Of course things could change quickly but apart from flight cancellations and travel waivers to Italy, there hasn't been much movement by the US on the Europe front.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I know people who have no stamps in their passports from doing their EU-US trips despite doing a lot of EU-US trips, so CBP would have to rely upon self-disclosure by passengers and/or the PNR history for the ticketed flights involving trips to/from/within the US. Relying upon stamps may work well enough for CBP in many circumstances, but relying upon stamps nowadays is in some ways less useful for investigative purposes by CBP than it used to be.

Originally Posted by Often1
CBP will absolutely know your travel history and will have it even before you land in the US. You will then be asked about your travel and, should you make a false statement, be denied entry in lieu of being prosecuted for the false statement. In either event you won't be coming back to the US for some number of years.
CBP very often does not know the full travel history of a person flying to US airports of entry. CBP will get the PNR history of the ticketed flight to the US, but that doesn't necessarily track back easily and completely to a full travel history of those travelers who use separately booked tickets to travel around away from the US before or between trips to the US. For this kind of circumstance, CBP primarily relies upon a combination of self-disclosure and PNR surveillance.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Though flights are not yet firm, I had originally planned travelling to the US from Germany directly or via UK. Either way, it would prevent me from entering the US
Have I missed anything? Germans are banned from entering the US?

Of course, it might come to that. However, that would be big news ---> and Lufthansa can close shop.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:21 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Thread closed in the light of this announcement. Trump halts entry of most visitors who’ve been in Schengen Area 14 days prior

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.