Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Source of spreading the virus at hotels? [buffets, bars, lounges]

Old Feb 29, 20, 1:15 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA Gold, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Spire Elite and lots more....

Just sitting having breakfast in the Hilton in the UK and like several they now have all their cutlery in a box.

This means that people tend to handle multiple items in search of a knife, fork or spoon etc.

We have no idea if these same people have washed their hands before breakfast or when using the bathroom.

Then saw a boy of maybe 10 sneeze into his hands. His mother also had a cold. He then handled the said cutlery and went alone to the cold buffet.

I reported said incident to the staff and also the duty manager and nothing was done.

Another guest is now handling the same cutlery that the boy handled after sneezing into his hands. Totally unaware. He might wonder why he is sneezing tomorrow......

Last edited by GentleGiant; Feb 29, 20 at 1:22 am
Old Feb 29, 20, 4:01 am

I think this coronavirus should make hotels rethink some procedures.

I think about how crazy people are now about washing hands, using hand sanitizers and having good hygiene practices. The truth is, us humans should have been doing this! Why does it take a pandemic for us to do basic Kindergarten 101 practices?! I say this as an educator.
Redhead, GUWonder, dddc and 19 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 4:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I am not sure what you want the hotel to do here. Apart from the newest Coronavirus there is also flu, thousands of various strains of common cold viruses and other nasties that you can get by touching doorknobs, other surfaces and just being in a public space. The only thing I can suggest is personal hygiene (washing hands) and bringing your own utensils if you are concerned about picking up a disease from using the hotel's ones. You can never know how they are handled behind what you can see anyway.

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 View Post
I think about how crazy people are now about washing hands, using hand sanitizers and having good hygiene practices. The truth is, us humans should have been doing this! Why does it take a pandemic for us to do basic Kindergarten 101 practices?! I say this as an educator.
Exactly! Surprisingly, some people in my office still do not wash their hands after using the bathroom and are more afraid of being exposed to cold air than picking up flu from touching the tap or a doorknob.
BearX220, shillard, lhrsfo and 9 others like this.

Last edited by Andriyko; Feb 29, 20 at 6:48 am
Old Feb 29, 20, 4:06 am

Cant believe they didnt change the cutlery, yuck.

Many guests often have poor buffet etiquette at breakfast. Given the current outbreak it might be good for restaurants to have some sort of food and personal hygiene notice visible. Maybe a poster on the the wall or a small leaflet on the table.
H8tofly likes this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Leonvomp View Post

Many guests often have poor buffet etiquette at breakfast.
But the thing is that some people started noticing these things after the current outbreak, but flu has been around forever, and so have many other viruses and bacteria. People are afraid of what's in the news, but other viruses and bacteria are also deadly, and yet people used to pick up forks and knives with no care in the world. Strange world.

Last edited by Andriyko; Feb 29, 20 at 4:32 am
Old Feb 29, 20, 4:33 am

Which Hilton property is this?
DC9 likes this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
While hotels and businesses of all sorts can change some procedures, we as travelers should also make changes. That includes avoiding buffets which are never clean on a good day.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
But the thing is that some people started noticing these things after the current outbreak, but flu has been around forever, and so have many other viruses and bacteria. People are afraid of what's in the news, but other viruses and bacteria are also deadly, and yet people used to pick up forks and knives with no care in the world. Strange world.
Regardless of the outbreak, If Id noticed anyone sneezing into their hand and grabbing cutlery Id ask for a new set. I do like your point though, we should all practice good hygiene regardless of what the latest pandemic is. I guess the current outbreak has just made people more aware of hygiene in general, but that can only be a good thing, no?
Andriyko and dmarge18 like this.

Last edited by Leonvomp; Feb 29, 20 at 5:48 am
Old Feb 29, 20, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
The are an infinite number of similar possibilities. Cutlery boxes are nothing special.
BearX220, farci, trooper and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 6:13 am

Any restaurant, movie theater.
Buffet breakfast at hotel (even high end one)
Airport Secuity check (Where you put everything in same grey box)
Basically, everywhere public is not safe. But there is nothing can be done. it will be too costly. Wash your hands and stay strong is the only thing you can do now/
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 6:46 am

Regardless of the outbreak, If I’d noticed anyone sneezing into their hand and grabbing cutlery I’d ask for a new set.
Of course! I would totally do the same. Same if I see that a fly landed on food. However, we can only react to what we see, and we have no way of knowing if anyone had sneezed into the box with utensils before we came down for breakfast, nor can we be sure that people who cut a baguette used the towel to touch it or if they had picked up a piece of toast with their bare hands and then put it back. People do all sort of things that disgust others. It's just something we have to deal with.

but that can only be a good thing, no?
Totally! I am just afraid that when (hopefully 'when' not 'if') this virus has been contained or a vaccine has been developed people will go back to their old habits because they will assume that they're no longer in danger.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 7:03 am

Is that CW?

Though I can recall some others who have this setup.
Old Feb 29, 20, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
The are an infinite number of similar possibilities. Cutlery boxes are nothing special.
Did OP touch any doorknobs or elevator buttons at this Hilton? The TV remote in the room? The shower control knob? Did anyone at the buffet before OP handle any foodstuffs before OP got there? There are 50 points of contact possible in a public place like a hotel, and short of being zipped into a dry cleaning bag at check-in they are not all avoidable.
Old Feb 29, 20, 7:54 am

Of course! I would totally do the same. Same if I see that a fly landed on food...
I have witnessed this at the confectionary section of buffets and lounges more than I care to admit, sadly Ive never reported it.

Totally! I am just afraid that when (hopefully 'when' not 'if') this virus has been contained or a vaccine has been developed people will go back to their old habits because they will assume that they're no longer in danger.
This will inevitably happen.
Old Feb 29, 20, 8:31 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Not just buffets that do this. Wagamama has cutlery in boxes on the their tables if you don't want to use chopsticks. The local pub we use for lunch at work had condiment and cutlery baskets you collect from a table and these then get returned for use later by the next customer. Marks and Spencer has wooden cutlery points next to it's Food to Go section. All of these types of places contamination can occur.

And even posh places that have the cutlery already set out in their places on the table won't be immune to someone sneezing on to them as they walk by.

You also have to worry about what's going on behind the scenes in the kitchen. I'd bet a lot of the staff there are poorly paid and would come into work if feeling poorly. How good is it your freshly washed glasses, crockery and cutlery are handled by someone with a full blown cold? Reminds me of the one and only time I flew Ryanair and the flight attendant that was sell food and drinks from the trolley had streaming cold and just used her hand to wipe her nose constantly. Thankfully I'd bought my food and drink from the kiosk at the airport. Although of course who knows what went on behind the scenes there!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: