Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Source of spreading the virus at hotels? [buffets, bars, lounges]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Source of spreading the virus at hotels? [buffets, bars, lounges]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
The worst part - the coffee typically self-serve in the lobby was no longer there - but you ask the hotel receptionist to give you coffee from behind the reception, making him the single touch-point for getting coffee, which felt very unsafe compared to just typical self serve coffee. Hopefully Hilton reverses this rule.
The mythbuster's videos linked in the NHK twitter thread above is kind of a good demonstration of how a single server vs common touchpoint can reduce spread. It is similar to how cruise buffets (pre-COVID) sometimes had a crew member serve customers rather than several guests with dubious health and hygiene serve themselves using common utensils.

It seems sensible to me to make it a food server like bar staff instead of a receptionist and put in food service hygiene standards. The receptionist is the same person also taking credit cards and giving/accepting room keys, interfacing with customers a little more closely with hand to card to hand contact. How often are they able to wash their hands? Perhaps some hotels in the US will offer more express checkout options, NFC key check in, and self service check-in/out machines. Or in-room Nespresso options?
Old May 13, 2020, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by freecia
Another demonstration from NHK on cruise buffets
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...422171000.html

Hat tip to Spoon & Tamago where others also added a Mythbusters video https://twitter.com/Johnny_suputama/...86799851376641
Kind of enjoy how NHK has made non-research-scientific visuals to examine how far sneeze vs speaking droplets go or how shared utensils can spread contamination.
Actually saw this on NHK last week or the week before.
The visuals really drive home the point.
As much as I'd love to hit a buffet again, I'm probably not up for shared tongues and ladles until this Corona fight is over.

Souplantation has shut down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.