Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Other Useful Threads
  • https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011652-entry-restrictions-per-country.html
Metrics Math Explained
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Let's see what happens in China once they start opening things back up. They may be going through this same process again in the future. And then I'll be curious what you'll be saying.
I know what I will be saying: if there was earlier transparency and very early on global coordination and popular buy-in to take drastic action sooner and in a globally-coordinated way that lasts, then we wouldn’t be going through this again and again in some ways.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I think the point is to buy time to mobilize resources to increase capacity and necessary equipment.
The US hospital systems has ~1mm hospital beds nationwide. Based on the data the government says they're using, a current doubling time in the USA is ~2.6 days and 20% of people will require hospitalization, and is what they are using to call for 3mm deaths. An exponential model of growth that cuts the doubling time of infections to 7 days via social distancing still predicts a peak of 15m concurrent hospitalizations. Except now that peak is occurring over 50 days instead of 25 days. If you think the US is going to suddently increase their hospitalization capacity by 10x in a couple months, then I have some bridges to sell you.

Or the numbers the government is using are completely off because we are only testing the sickest of the sick. And when we look at numbers from other sources of outbreak this could easily have been mistaken for a worse-than-normal flu season. See this article: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/...eliable-data/?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
The US hospital systems has ~1mm hospital beds nationwide. Based on the data the government says they're using, a current doubling time in the USA is ~2.6 days and 20% of people will require hospitalization. An exponential model of growth that cuts the doubling time of infections to 7 days via social distancing still predicts a peak of 15m concurrent hospitalizations. Except now that peak is occurring over 50 days instead of 25 days. If you think the US is going to suddently increase their hospitalization capacity by 10x in a couple months, then I have some bridges to sell you.

Or the numbers the government is using are completely off because we are only testing the sickest of the sick. And when we look at numbers from other sources of outbreak this could easily have been mistaken for a worse-than-normal flu season. See this article: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/...eliable-data/?
Absolutely no one thinks they’ll be able to reach the demand necessary for the upcoming wave. That’s doesn’t mean we should just do nothing I think this is the key disagreement amongst people.

It seems like the likely scenario is the military will be setting up shop for battlefield style hospital tents next to hospitals for your broken hips, your dislocated shoulders, bullet wounds, etc. so regular hospitals can focus their attention on the pandemic
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Absolutely no one thinks they’ll be able to reach the demand necessary for the upcoming wave. That’s doesn’t mean we should just do nothing I think this is the key disagreement amongst people.

It seems like the likely scenario is the military will be setting up shop for battlefield style hospital tents next to hospitals for your broken hips, your dislocated shoulders, bullet wounds, etc. so regular hospitals can focus their attention on the pandemic
So if we're not going to be able to meet the demand. Should we have 50 days of not being able to meet the demands in the system, or just 25 days. How many other comorbid conditions are we going to turn away and let kill people during those extra 25 days of the system being over stressed?
NWplatinum and cmd320 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Is there anyone else feels like there’s more to the story than the public is being told? I remember watching a press conference the other day and seeing Trump looking scared like I’ve never seen before in his tenure as president.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
This thread served as a place for exchanging views on Coronavirus while it was in TravelBuzz. Now that there is a dedicated Coronavirus and Travel forum with other relevant threads for more focused discussion we are closing this thread.

NewbieRunner
Co-moderator, Coronavirus and Travel forum
ajGoes and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.