Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Other Useful Threads
  • https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011652-entry-restrictions-per-country.html
Metrics Math Explained
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:03 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by trueblu
They've managed, pretty much (though not entirely) to contain COVID-19 within China (save for imported cases still coming in). I'm not entirely sure why you think that's not believable. I was skeptical that they could do it, but I believe it that they have.

They are being _very cautions_ about ramping things back up to normal, especially in Beijing. That's because they understand that there may well be pockets of mild cases or just a little bit of community transmission that doesn't get picked up.

But I can assure you that things are way, way better in the mainland for COVID-19 than pretty much anywhere else on the planet. This of course, took a massive amount of resources, AND civic cooperation alongside pretty draconian actions by the state.

The population remains entirely vulnerable to COVID-19, however, so things could kick off again at any time if the guard is let down. But in the meantime, within a month or two, things will slowly get back to a 'new normal'.

tb
A new normal translates as more wet market bribes, more never-filled (though present) soap dispensers, and more orders for masks/gloves/medical products made primarily in China.

Also, what's the story in Manzanar province (aka Xinjiang)?

Meanwhile, another avian flu popped up in Hunan last month.

As I wrote in the China Covid-19 forum last month, a friend had a slightly higher than normal temperature upon entering a Guangzhou Burger King. They asked for his name and phone number; he wrote down some erroneous info, and ordered a burger.

trueblu we have both lived in China, but I never let the wumao parasite latch onto me.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hubei was locked-down, but all of China had cases. Yet, somehow things are already improving in the entire country?

Color me red...for being suspicious.
The Taiwanese media is saying that the order from the Communist Party Central is that "get the economy going again and don't you dare have any new cases". As we know in Management 101, employees give you what you want. That is how we got into this mess in the first place.

Originally Posted by chipmaster
I agree a foundation of eastern culture is respect and honor for your elder or leaders, in many western countries leaders are mocked or ignored.

Eastern tradition has many themes also of self sacrifice for your family or country etc. and many western cultures well you know, LOL
It is interesting that in the news conference today, Trump and his team was using the word "sacrifice". Americans need to learn we are all in this together.

A new normal translates as more wet market bribes, more never-filled (though present) soap dispensers, and more orders for masks/gloves/medical products made primarily in China.

As I wrote in the China Covid-19 forum last month, a friend had a slightly higher than normal temperature upon entering a Guangzhou Burger King. They asked for his name and phone number; he wrote down some erroneous info, and ordered a burger.

trueblu we have both lived in China, but I never let the wumao parasite latch onto me.
No need to call people names. Wu-Mao, for those who don't understand it, is essentially someone who behaves like the Chinese Communist Propaganda Machine.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t think noticing that China has gone a good job controlling the outbreak is being a Wu Mao. Their decision to quarantine Wuhan (Unprecedented at the time just 2 months ago) gave the world a head start on confronting the virus. Imagine if they had let CNY go on as planned with flights from Wuhan to EU, USA and all over Asia. That was a bold move they made after realizing the severity of the outbreak and I would say it was like nothing they had ever done before. Of course they initially swept it under the rug but as the first country to get it, they didn’t know how serious it would be. I’m not sure other countries would have behaved better in the initial stages.

I can tell you’re no fan of China and that’s fair enough and I’m sure in 3 years the empty hand gel dispensers will definitely happen. But please don’t call out other posters just because they say China is doing a good job. Since 23 Jan, their performance has been world class in regards to the virus. Hopefully other countries have been taking notes.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I don’t think noticing that China has gone a good job controlling the outbreak is being a Wu Mao. Their decision to quarantine Wuhan (Unprecedented at the time just 2 months ago) gave the world a head start on confronting the virus. Imagine if they had let CNY go on as planned with flights from Wuhan to EU, USA and all over Asia. That was a bold move they made after realizing the severity of the outbreak and I would say it was like nothing they had ever done before. Of course they initially swept it under the rug but as the first country to get it, they didn’t know how serious it would be. I’m not sure other countries would have behaved better in the initial stages.

I can tell you’re no fan of China and that’s fair enough and I’m sure in 3 years the empty hand gel dispensers will definitely happen. But please don’t call out other posters just because they say China is doing a good job. Since 23 Jan, their performance has been world class in regards to the virus. Hopefully other countries have been taking notes.
It's hard to give China a pat on the back for helping to stop it when they caused this mess to begin with.
Diplomatico likes this.

Last edited by Sandeep1; Mar 17, 2020 at 1:17 pm
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS

Funny how some people let politics cloud their judgment. China has done a horrible job in the beginning and allowed the virus to spread. They should have closed Wuhan down earlier and also do it without lead time so that people stayed inside. They have done a good job afterwards containing it. I would say good but not great since it was quite heavy handed. I would say Korea did a great job in comparison
Diplomatico and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Well, we should have a vaccine for it in 12 months. So why rush out to get infected when you can just wait for the vaccine?
Where is the source of this information? Or are you just making it up?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Owenc
with who?
With hard border officials, actually
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by FlitBen
Build that wall!
How ironic that Trump's plan comes into reality without building the wall.... Just shut down border and put landmines and autocannons alongside it.

/s
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
France now on full lockdown, with 100,000 police deployed to enforce.
TravelingZoomer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
France now on full lockdown, with 100,000 police deployed to enforce.
Have to ask again - what are your plans? Can you stay in France or plan to go to Austria?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
Have to ask again - what are your plans? Can you stay in France or plan to go to Austria?
I am now in the UK. I have no plans to return to Austria or to leave the UK in the foreseeable future.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I am now in the UK. I have no plans to return to Austria or to leave the UK in the foreseeable future.
To you and rest of UK - stay safe. Seems UK decided to choose different path dealing with the crisis. Wish the best.
wrp96, FlitBen and rustykettel like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:45 am
Suspended

To you and rest of UK - stay safe. Seems UK decided to choose different path dealing with the crisis. Wish the best.
Thanks very much. Yes, the UK has chosen a different path. That's why I'm here.

I don't want to argue any more about the rights and wrongs of various actions. The two sides will never agree.

However, I will continue to give updates if I get any news on border closures, airline groundings, etc. I also wish everyone, in all countries and on all sides of the debate, the best of luck with however they decide to manage this issue.
wrp96, FlitBen and rustykettel like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:25 am
Suspended

Germany closed all borders last night.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:59 am

How ironic that Trump's plan comes into reality without building the wall.... Just shut down border and put landmines and autocannons alongside it.

/s
Haha, I liked the fat and sassy auto-cannons in the original Judge Dredd movie.

History is a harsh mistress.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.