Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Other Useful Threads
  • https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011652-entry-restrictions-per-country.html
Metrics Math Explained
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:36 am

People that say there is nothing to be concerned about are missing the real problem. My flight to Vietnam is apparently on ice now because I have a 2 hour layover in ICN. My flight to to Israel is also on ice as I have that connection in ICN within 2 weeks.

The point is that flights getting canceled and government travel restrictions are absolutely concerning.
justforfun likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Having lived in HK through SARS, and experienced many pivots after nearly two decades of inter-continental work + fun, I think that the biggest change this will bring to my schedule is the opportunity to find some high value premium cabin fares to Europe this summer.

One thing to remember about the Corona virus: for most people infected symptoms are mild and people recover. This is not something as deadly as SARS or Ebola. As a healthy thirty-something, hope I don't get infected, but would probably not change my life much if picked up the bug. I'd be more worried about infecting my elderly parents, to be honest.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
My husband has cancelled our plans and pooh poohed every suggestion. Every place he still considers 'safe' he won't go as it is too far away or he wants longer there than we have available. Fiji is acceptable to him but we area already going there in October/November for a family holiday. I want some relaxation in May. I'm still happy to go a lot of places.
I would avoid LAX due to this, unfortunately we are going there in late March. And its events like this and Italy that make the disease ultimately widespread. She/He could have potentially contaminated a few thousand people, along with the airplane it self and all the co-workers.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020...h-coronavirus/

Last edited by boerne; Feb 26, 2020 at 11:47 am
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Zach Resnick
I'm currently on vacation in Japan and with all the reports about coronavirus I'm concerned not so much about catching it, but about the possibility of being quarantined for days upon arrival back to the states or other general inconveniences that might happen. If anyone reading this has flown Japan or another Asian country to the US recently and can share any experiences that would be much appreciated!

Flying to Japan a week ago noticed a bunch of masks but no issues or serious amount of screening going on my from my flight from the US at least although noticed a line for flights coming from HK/Taiwan/Singapore
I flew back from Japan to the US last week. There are presently no US quarantine requirements for travelers from any country other than mainland China. That could change, but no indication yet. In the GE line I was only asked where I was coming from and was I bringing any food. Went from plane to outside in < 20 min (JFK, no checked bag).
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'm really not too worried about this and I think the media is blowing it way out of proportion.

It seems to be primarily dangerous for the sick/elderly etc. of which I'm fortunately neither. The reality is one has a far greater probability of contracting Influenza or Pneumonia and perishing, that just doesn't make very good news.

With that said, I'm also not planning to fly to Wuhan and devour a bunch of sashimi and carpaccio anytime soon either.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I am planning to visit Buenos Aires next month, and then summer trips to Mexico and Paris. I am not too concerned about any of them but obviously we will have to see how this plays out.

People got all worked up over Ebola and SARS, but the risks (and effects) were largely localized and of course Ebola was not as easy to transmit (but more fatal).

As others have noted I would be more concerned about getting quarantined a country with 2nd rate medical care, or even at a US point of entry that is not driving distance from my home.

Earlier this month I had an unprecedented 10 minute line to clear GE when I arrived at ATL. At first I was annoyed, but I am glad they asked everyone point blank if they had been to China recently. Unfortunately this does not appear to be rigorously enforced, as a colleague recently arrived at SFO from S. Korea and sailed through without any inquiry. Hopefully that will change, or at least they will start using thermometer guns to screen incoming passengers as I saw in Nigeria.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
I'm flying to India naxt saturday and i'm not worried about this, they (media) are blowing it out of proportion.. you common sense, don't stand next to a sick person (cough sneezing, etc) use hand sanitizer often.. take precaution, where ever you are.. avoid raw meat foods, drink bottled water or hot tea or coffee.. this will blow over in the coming months as the warmer months will clear.. follow the messages on the www.cdc.gov , they have listed the levels of severity of the counties affected.

I just read this morning, a traveler form Brazil caught the coronavirus last week while he was in Italy.. is it a global epidemic, maybe, buy then again you see people sharing teh same water bottle or beverage.. just take precaution and enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:56 pm

I have a trip planned for 3 of us to Paris in March, so far I am not changing any plans. My family and relatives are very concerned though, and freaking out. Some of the thoughts rattling around my head are (not saying they are coherent):
  1. I am almost more concerned over the "I told you so's" I am going to have to hear from everyone if we do catch something.
  2. I am more concerned about being stuck somewhere than i am about the illness. I have this minuscule concern that I get a regular cold and get lumped in a quarantine
  3. Part of me thinks that travel sooner MIGHT actually be safer in the long run as it spreads
  4. Putting off travel until this is gone or under control could equal years.
  5. Everything in life is a risk.
pudgym29 likes this.

Last edited by Travlur; Feb 26, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll be in Germany, Denmark, Russia, Estonia this summer.....no plans to change my plans yet.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Duck1981

The risk of getting the virus is much higher in the London Underground, and given that in 99% of cases it feels like a cold I see no reason to cancel any travel.
I don't know where you're getting your numbers but what I've seen is 80% get mild/no symptoms, 20% have severe symptoms, 5% (25% of severe cases) are "critical" and about half of critical patients die. So while most people will be fine, this is far deadlier than influenza (roughly 20x more fatal).
lhrsfo, ajGoes and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given the jump in cases in Italy, Iran and South Korea,It’s just a matter of time until governments just decide life has to takes it course with this virus too.

Brazil and Argentina’s Italian connection may come into play for its spread in South America.

Israel has now added Italy to the group of countries for which Israeli travelers should be quarantined for 14 days upon return to Israel.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Cam I ask your logic on this ? Do you feel Switzerland or Sweden for example have poor medical facilities ? Just asking
🇸🇪 has good medical facilities, but the medical facilities are already pretty stretched and there is no deep reservoir of capacity to handle a big jump in patients needing hospitalized care or even ambulatory care.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:34 pm

I have a trip to London and Paris planned after Easter and some of my friends and family freaking out. I have a better chance of dropping dead from the seasonal flu that's currently kicking my butt (yes I had my flu shot) than catching COVID-19. Unless something drastically changes over the next six weeks I'll be enjoying a much needed vacation in Europe.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:29 pm

Coronavirus USA Domestic Travel

Been scanning the coronavirus threads and most are discussing international travel.

want to specifically ask how folks are feeling about USA domestic travel.

i tend not to be concerned about such things but stories like the Air Korea attendant traveling through LAX (where I have a flight scheduled in a month) leaves me with a real debate. Eat a huge change fee or leave it and take the trip.

what’s the take on big crowds and places like Disneyland or other parks or places with big crowds and international travelers, even if your flights are 100% within the USA.

really rather stuck. Just no serious breakout in the USA as of Feb 26. But in a month? Do you go to the big city any big international airport or eat a couple thousand now or potentially take your trip and find out in 5 weeks you now have to eat even more thousands?

insurance may be an option but it seems nobody is covering epidemics like coronavirus. And cancel-for-any-reason insurance only refunds 50-75%.
FLTripper likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:21 pm

This is a great thread - came about it when researching. I'm a little nervous about my Disney World Spring Break trip because of all the spring break travelers from all over. The flight is the biggest expense in all of it, and if I could get out of it - I'd much rather do a road trip or something less people-ish during spring break. I'll monitor this thread for sure if anyone has information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.