Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Other Useful Threads
  • https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011652-entry-restrictions-per-country.html
Metrics Math Explained
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
At this stage, I am seriously considering going somewhere else entirely. I am not willing to be locked up, whether in my own home or elsewhere. These measures are draconian are unacceptable in a free and democratic society.
​​​​​
I think our attitudes veer away from each other at quite a few points. Show me that an approach works, or give me sound, logical reasons why certain measures should be adopted, and I’ll comply. If those measures continue for longer than can be shown to have been necessary, THAT’S when I’ll revolt.
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Thanks. Just made that drive returning a week ago. It's a hard two day drive, one night stay, from here so in most cases flying is more desirable. The event is a play our granddaughter in so going isn't life or death but would be nice to attend. Guess it could be life or death for her grandparents since we both are in the higher risk group.

Was planning on using miles for this trip but cash might be the better value. Not making a decision just yet, think there is time to see how things shape up. Appreciate your advice.
Don't forget that there's a chance that the play could be cancelled, whether or not the (pre)school is closed.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
I have a flight to EZE in 5h and I now see this:
Buenos Aires announced a two-week isolation period for people arriving from China, Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Japan, South Korea and the United States.
Sauce

I guess time to backtrack since I already made it to ATL
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by fjord
I have a flight to EZE in 5h and I now see this:

Sauce

I guess time to backtrack since I already made it to ATL
Ugh sorry. This sort of thing at this point is as much of an impediment to my travel as the virus itself. There are now just too many ways an international trip can go wrong.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't forget that there's a chance that the play could be cancelled, whether or not the (pre)school is closed.
Have thought about that too. Seems all aspects of decision making are up in the air for the time being.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There were cases in Taiwan when the flights to VN were taxied or in-flight when the ban got announced (then reversed). Then there were cases where TW implemented immediate bans on certain visitors and people who were in-flight could not enter upon arrival. This is why it is best to not travel right now, especially internationally.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by username
There were cases in Taiwan when the flights to VN were taxied or in-flight when the ban got announced (then reversed). Then there were cases where TW implemented immediate bans on certain visitors and people who were in-flight could not enter upon arrival. This is why it is best to not travel right now, especially internationally.
I am unaware of Taiwan setting any ban without notice. Do you have an example? You are correct that Vietnam issued a ban with airplanes already boarded to various nationalities.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:10 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by klang180
We have a flight booked to Munich this coming Saturday with onward travel by hire car to Mittersill (near Kitzbuhel) in Austria. We do however have the advantage of being able to cancel our flights and car hire with very little penalty and drive instead. We are really in two minds about whether to just go for the flight and risk exposure in the airports or go by car/tunnel and likely isolate ourselves almost the entire way. The former is simpler and quicker and the latter safer and more boring but we just cannot decide.

For context we would be flying Business and so would use the lounge and our car is from Alamo (which is actually Enterprise in Munich). I am 37 with well controlled type 1 diabetes and my partner is 35 and my brother 35, both with no pre-existings. We all have healthy lifestyles with extremely healthy diet and exercise. What would you peeps do?
Airline of the Lufthansa group has closed their lounges starting today.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
We have a one-week trip scheduled from the US to Europe (flying to AMS, staying in Belgium and Netherlands).

Supposed to depart March 31. So, it is three weeks away from now, and we are able to cancel at the last minute without penalty.

At this point we aren't cancelling unless we get cancelled (by airline or country).

One part of me says "don't go, you risk infecting other people even if you will be ok" and the other side is saying "you are in as much risk at home as in Netherlands/Belgium."

I'm guessing in the next 20 days the decision will be out of my hands.
polkacat likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I do not believe the numbers released by the mainland Chinese government lately. It seems that only 20-30 new cases each day in a country of 1.4Billion people. China must really think the world is stupid to believe that crap. They are not telling the truth or they have just stopped testing - you decide! To go from 1300 new cases a day to 20 would imply that China has found a cure.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TommyD2
We have a one-week trip scheduled from the US to Europe (flying to AMS, staying in Belgium and Netherlands).

Supposed to depart March 31. So, it is three weeks away from now, and we are able to cancel at the last minute without penalty.

At this point we aren't cancelling unless we get cancelled (by airline or country).

One part of me says "don't go, you risk infecting other people even if you will be ok" and the other side is saying "you are in as much risk at home as in Netherlands/Belgium."

I'm guessing in the next 20 days the decision will be out of my hands.
In the same boat here - trip to UK, Spain, France leaving April 4. However, I think the hassle of getting quarantined/stuck somewhere is too great right now and we'll probably just reschedule for the fall. It's quite a bummer, but should be able to recover most of our costs except for some minor items (tickets to museums/attractions and train travel in Europe).
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by davistev
I do not believe the numbers released by the mainland Chinese government lately. It seems that only 20-30 new cases each day in a country of 1.4Billion people. China must really think the world is stupid to believe that crap. They are not telling the truth or they have just stopped testing - you decide! To go from 1300 new cases a day to 20 would imply that China has found a cure.
This is conspiracy theory at its best. All indications are that China does actually have control of the virus. Maybe it will flare up again eventually but so far their extreme measures have paid off.
HKTraveler, transparent and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:00 pm

We had a trip to Italy and Greece booked for next month. Up until this week I was planning on going, but frankly, it wasn't worth the risk of getting stuck somewhere or having to quarantine when I get home. For me, it wouldn't have been as big of deal since I can work from home, but my wife would miss an extra 2 weeks of work and I also wouldn't be able to help out my parents with anything for nearly a month. Since they changed everything this week to allow me to rebook everything to October with no penalty it seemed like a no brainer. Especially since there was no guarantee the stuff I wanted to see would even be open when we got there.

Though I will say I was looking forward to having little to no crowds as I'm sure the fall travel season will be extra crowded this year.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:19 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I have a trip to Sofia from Germany, via Greece planned over the weekend. I just decided to cancel it as more countries are closing borders or banning entry to German residents. I do not want to take the risk to run into a situation during the journey so I will cancel it (at a cost).
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
I am unaware of Taiwan setting any ban without notice. Do you have an example? You are correct that Vietnam issued a ban with airplanes already boarded to various nationalities.
They issued "effective immediately" notices and that was the problem. This was early in the episode (I think early February) and some Mainlanders were caught in it.

Found it if you can read Chinese:
https://tw.news.yahoo.com/%E8%A2%AB%...040515416.html

Last edited by username; Mar 11, 2020 at 6:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.