Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Other Useful Threads
  • https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011652-entry-restrictions-per-country.html
Metrics Math Explained
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:37 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Duplicate, please delete

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Feb 26, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Could this question not have been folded into one of the dozens of threads on this topic? Do we really need another one?
Duke787 and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Moderator alerted to merge into one of the many existing threads on the same topic.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:45 am

Travel insurance policies (coronavirus scenarios)

I have been speaking to my travel insurance and giving some scenarios, and here is what I have heard which has surprised me a bit. I have travel disruption/cancellation cover..

1. If you are going to a country for which your country (in my case, the UK and its FCO) says you shouldn't go, I can cancel and get a full refund. I also don't need to wait: if my trip is in April and the alert goes up tomorrow, I can choose to wait or cancel. This is good news.

2. If you are traveling to three countries, A B C, and country B ends up on the list of countries to not go, it'll be sorted, but they couldn't advise how as it'd be on a case-by-case basis.

Here is where there is NO cover and that I dislike highly...

3. If you are traveling to three countries, A B C, and your country deems all 3 fine for travel, but country B says you cannot enter there if you have been to country A, it is NOT covered. Picture a scenario right now where country A is Thailand, and country B is Israel: Israel is banning anyone who has been to Thailand in the past 14 days, but both countries are fine to visit at the moment under UK guidelines, so cancelling either segment or having to make re-arrangements would all be out of pocket.

My question:

1. At the moment, the countries I am planning on going to (in scenario 3) are not on the UK list so if I get another travel insurance that covers scenario 3, any possible travel disruption would be covered. Does anyone know of any travel insurance policies that might cover this scenario?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Absolutely no concern. Going to Malaysia next week.

The risk of getting the virus is much higher in the London Underground, and given that in 99% of cases it feels like a cold I see no reason to cancel any travel.

Also I get much better Marriott rates and far less tourists at my destination
WestCoastPDX likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
My advise: save your cash and do not plan any (non-essential) travel - until the Coronavirus crisis has gone away.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
My advise: save your cash and do not plan any (non-essential) travel - until the Coronavirus crisis has gone away.
While that is a sensible thing, the reason I asked is because I have 6 weeks of travel in one trip this summer in 8 countries, and 3 countries in Oct, and 3 in Dec, all already booked, so I am seeing if there are any travel insurance policies that might cover countries that ban you from entering so I don't risk losing the many thousands I have already paid for things for those trips!.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by fwfdan
and SARS caused all sorts of disruptions.... I started this while watching the news and it mentioning the Duomo in Milan closed due to the virus... so it is not just health concerns (low) but also disruption concerns.
and. . ?
With 40 years of international flying for business ( a very large amount of it in Asia) and leisure I have found that life and travel goes on. There is always something going on somewhere ie; Earthquakes, Flooding, SARs, Covid19, Volcanoes, Forest fires, Civil unrest, So if you are concerned then by all means don't go. But if you decide to go follow the motto of the BSA 'Be Prepared". Plan ahead, have alternatives, Investigate your medical coverage, hard copy important telephone numbers and addresses, carry or have access to minimal protection, have fun and don't panic.

PS: A decision has been made on the Tokyo Olympics. https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tokyo...-with-olympics

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Feb 26, 2020 at 6:46 am Reason: to add
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:05 am

Coronavirus - Expected hold up or screening coming from Japan to US?

I'm currently on vacation in Japan and with all the reports about coronavirus I'm concerned not so much about catching it, but about the possibility of being quarantined for days upon arrival back to the states or other general inconveniences that might happen. If anyone reading this has flown Japan or another Asian country to the US recently and can share any experiences that would be much appreciated!

Flying to Japan a week ago noticed a bunch of masks but no issues or serious amount of screening going on my from my flight from the US at least although noticed a line for flights coming from HK/Taiwan/Singapore
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Cam I ask your logic on this ? Do you feel Switzerland or Sweden for example have poor medical facilities ? Just asking
Sure. I have family that I could stay with if I was prevented from returning to the US for an extended period of time. And as a citizen I couldn't be removed or treated any different than other citizens. Nothing to do with medical care.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:53 am

No concerns, I think there is significant overreaction going on. I'm off to Vietnam next week.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:27 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Moderator alerted to merge into one of the many existing threads on the same topic.
Moderator Note: Yes, Please follow the various threads as they consolidate. Please note that there are continuity gaps due to multiple thread merges. Please pick the posts of interest and carry on from there. Thanks!

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Feb 26, 2020 at 8:33 am Reason: updated note
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by fwfdan
So are people changing personal travel plans because of the coronavirus? We have a Europe trip planned in April and what is going on with Italy I am starting to rethink our plans...

Anyone else getting nervous?
Nervous? Yes. I have an international vacation to the EU planned for the end of May that is mostly non-refundable. But two or three months is a long time for a situation like this so not much that can be done except sit back and wait. By the end of April this could all be blown over or travel could be totally shut down. If I were to take a guess it'll be that travel will still be happening but there will be empty seats on planes and people in high risk groups will be discouraged from traveling.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Cam I ask your logic on this ? Do you feel Switzerland or Sweden for example have poor medical facilities ? Just asking
I think he was just looking for an opportunity to mention he has three citizenships.
acquiescefc likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Jesperss
I think he was just looking for an opportunity to mention he has three citizenships.
Is it really that unusual? How would me answering "I would only visit the countries that I am a citizen of" provide useful context without actually providing the detail?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.