Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 12:16 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
Taiwan has a long history of people wearing masks due to the pollution levels and other contaminates in the air.
Most people wear masks because they are sick with a cold. The universal practice started in 2003 SARS crisis, same is true in Hong Kong.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by knownothing
i don't give a damn about others....
And there we have it. SAD!
Old May 19, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Some anecdotal reports on Twitter about airlines and FA's being powerless to enforce the company mask policy when passengers remove masks or refuse to wear them.
Sadly, with no federal guidance, not wearing a mask will not rise to the level of smoking in the lavatory, nor could a federal air marshal do anything about it.

One FA I spoke with said that she will re-seat the anti-maskers to the window seats of the last 3 rows of the plane.
Old May 19, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by knownothing
i don't give a damn about others. I care about me. but if my mask protects them > great
If you want to protect yourself, you will not only need a mask that excludes viral particles (N99 better than N95), but you will also need to learn how to secure it to your face or take it off without contaminating yourself, or others. That will probably mean using gloves, changing clothes and learning how to remove those after removing your mask so you don't spread virus onto yourself. It actually is quite difficult to remove PPE properly.

The point I am trying to make is that except for those working directly with Covid infected patients in an acute care setting, use of simple masks is not for your safety but those around you. Just like herd immunity, if everyone is using a simple mask that suppresses droplet spread, then that plus hand-washing and distance will be quite effective in suppressing viral transmission of this disease.
wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old May 19, 2020, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Some anecdotal reports on Twitter about airlines and FA's being powerless to enforce the company mask policy when passengers remove masks or refuse to wear them.
Sadly, with no federal guidance, not wearing a mask will not rise to the level of smoking in the lavatory, nor could a federal air marshal do anything about it.
That may be the case in the US airlines as of today, but I think it will change. It seems that with Air France, a passenger who refuses to wear a mask will be treated as a passenger who refuses any crew order. There are well understood escalation procedures when a passenger violates a crew order. If they refuse to wear a mask before takeoff they could be de-boarded or refused boarding. If they take off their mask during the flight, there are a set of procedures that will be followed as well.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/ma...s_3956571.html

I believe this procedure is already US law, or coded into FAA PAR's which is pretty much the same thing. So perhaps there is no need for the US government to do anything else.
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
One FA I spoke with said that she will re-seat the anti-maskers to the window seats of the last 3 rows of the plane.
I like that work-around!
Old May 19, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances

Yea, good luck enforcing it with the anti-mask or "I can't breath with it" crowd (which may include legit cases). And forget about winning any arguments about exhaling valves. Most likely you may end up offloading yourself, I fear....

The last 3 rows may actually be a thing, A3 says they will leave them empty on all flights and use it as the "quarantine" section for anyone with any symptoms (and I a guessing any troublemakers?). Which tells you that we should be booking front of aircraft...
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 3:12 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by nk15
Yea, good luck enforcing it with the anti-mask or "I can't breath with it" crowd (which may include legit cases). And forget about winning any arguments about exhaling valves. Most likely you may end up offloading yourself, I fear....

The last 3 rows may actually be a thing, A3 says they will leave them empty on all flights and use it as the "quarantine" section for anyone with any symptoms (and I a guessing any troublemakers?). Which tells you that we should be booking front of aircraft...
Your suggestions reminds me of when we allowed smokers on the plane. Might as well permit ebola, or people with measles on the airplane too, NO?

I was thinking about the expectations about appropriate dress either on an airplane or being served in a store and don't hear people object to the need to wear clothes, shoes etc. when going to a store or getting on an airplane, why is this mask thing so difficult?
estnet likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by radonc1
If you want to protect yourself, you will not only need a mask that excludes viral particles (N99 better than N95), but you will also need to learn how to secure it to your face or take it off without contaminating yourself, or others. That will probably mean using gloves, changing clothes and learning how to remove those after removing your mask so you don't spread virus onto yourself. It actually is quite difficult to remove PPE properly.

The point I am trying to make is that except for those working directly with Covid infected patients in an acute care setting, use of simple masks is not for your safety but those around you. Just like herd immunity, if everyone is using a simple mask that suppresses droplet spread, then that plus hand-washing and distance will be quite effective in suppressing viral transmission of this disease.
Protecting oneself is one of the two reasons to wear normal masks. The notion that one needs a N95 to have significant protection is simply wrong, unless you are in a room with many COVID patients such as an ICU. The following graphs are from a recent UCSF presentation:

Guidance for Parks as an Essential Service During a Pandemic - Part 2

Starting around 47:00

The first slide is a retrospective study of 250 health workers in a Hong Kong hospital during 2003 SARS who were exposed to SARS patients, 143 wore masks.There was no difference in the protective effect between the two types of masks.
The second slide is a prospective study in Canada for a whole winter season, in which the 440 nurses in the study were separated into two groups. One was told always use a surgical mask and the other always a N95, when interacting with a patient throughout the whole season. At the end of the season, there was no significant difference between the two types of masks.

Third slide: Ten years later, the prospective study was repeated with 10+ times as many participants (>5000). The result was the same, the two types of masks offer the same level of protection.

Slide 1 Hong Kong SARS 2003 (Retrospective Study)

Slide 2 Canada 2009 (Prospective Study n=422)

Slide 3 Canada 2019 (Prospective Study n=5180)
ajGoes, nk15 and FlyBitcoin like this.

Last edited by PanAmWT; May 19, 2020 at 3:27 pm
Old May 19, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Your suggestions reminds me of when we allowed smokers on the plane. Might as well permit ebola, or people with measles on the airplane too, NO?

I was thinking about the expectations about appropriate dress either on an airplane or being served in a store and don't hear people object to the need to wear clothes, shoes etc. when going to a store or getting on an airplane, why is this mask thing so difficult?
I'm going to answer that with a classic Onion article:

https://www.theonion.com/area-man-pa...sti-1819571149

Also there's an alarming amount of people who think this is one big hoax involving Bill Gates, 5G antennas, vaccines, etc.
Old May 19, 2020, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA

Good, I like window seats in the back.
Old May 19, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by radonc1

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Protecting oneself is one of the two reasons to wear normal masks. The notion that one needs a N95 to have significant protection is simply wrong, unless you are in a room with many COVID patients such as an ICU.
My bolding

Perhaps I did a poor job of explaining things. I will try again.

I do not think that you need a fancy mask to protect yourself in routine situations. That is exactly what I wrote (and I have bolded in my statement) and you confirmed with your post. We don't use anything other than surgical masks in clinic except when we are dealing with Covid + patients. Then the story changes and we follow CDC and hospital guidelines on PPE.

As I have said before, masks aren't for the wearer, but for those around the wearer. (BTW, nice post!)
Old May 19, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
New Study, in hamsters, but they were selected because they resemble human enzyme receptors. Anyway, what I liked was that in the animals that contracted the virus despite having mask protection had a lower viral load. Flybitcoin posted this way upthread and I agree. If/when I get exposed, i want a low viral load.

https://www.sfgate.com/science/artic...o-15281491.php
Old May 19, 2020, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
It would be awfully nice if people actually took the time to educate themselves (well I can dream/hallucinate) can't I? There is a BIG difference between intubating someone with the virus or other close in procedures that medical people engage in and what we experience in normal day to day life.
Besides the obvious issue of deniers/haters, etc. the biggest problem I see is that many people magically assume that if they're wearing a mask (or a single layer bandanna) it is no longer important to maintain social (that is physical) distancing. Sigh
Old May 19, 2020, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Protecting oneself is one of the two reasons to wear normal masks. The notion that one needs a N95 to have significant protection is simply wrong, unless you are in a room with many COVID patients such as an ICU. The following graphs are from a recent UCSF presentation:
…..
Correct, as long as the first mask underneath is an N95, it doesn't matter what the second mask on top is, no difference if it is surgical, cloth, or a second N95...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.