Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I am certainly not arguing with you... I truly don't know... but if they are so ineffective why then are so many people wearing them in affected areas?
Not sure but I have just spent two weeks in Singapore where the government is going to extraordinary lengths to contain the spread. They have issued masks to all families but the instructions are very clear: do not wear the masks unless you are unwell and you need to go out in public. There is no need to wear one otherwise.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Starship73
Not sure but I have just spent two weeks in Singapore where the government is going to extraordinary lengths to contain the spread. They have issued masks to all families but the instructions are very clear: do not wear the masks unless you are unwell and you need to go out in public. There is no need to wear one otherwise.
Thank you
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nancypants
If you decide to go for it (which I don’t think you should), please please take the time to work out how to wear the damn things properly

i wrote an idiots guide in another thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32049147-post13.html
Thanks for this. The possibly trickier aspect of wearing a mask is what should be done with the mask once taken off the face. I’ve seen people holding a mask by the straps and walking with it, the mask swinging in-step with the owner, or placed on a table while the owner eats/drinks and other similar no-nos.

Doc Copper
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Starship73
Arrived on the BA12 from Singapore this morning. No-one was wearing a mask
So was I. Small world. And as you wrote, not a mask in-sight.

Although it was quiet different on Thai Airways: some passengers (but in the minority) wearing masks. However, all cabin crew wore masks throughout the flight.

Doc Copper
Starship73 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Thanks for this. The possibly trickier aspect of wearing a mask is what should be done with the mask once taken off the face. I’ve seen people holding a mask by the straps and walking with it, the mask swinging in-step with the owner, or placed on a table while the owner eats/drinks and other similar no-nos.

Doc Copper
indeed- snap the straps, straight into a bin and wash hands. If the straps are intact when it’s been removed the Darwin Award has another potential candidate

incidentally when I was doing Ebola in 2014-5 this was stuff that a lot of doctors and nurses struggled with the concept of. Most of the infections of health workers were down to incorrect usage of PPE rather than ineffective PPE or equipment failure. So I would suggest to expect the general public to have a handle on it is somewhat ambitious
DoctorCopper likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Grateful for those inputs, especially from medical professionals.

We're transiting through LGW Fri night on the way to PUJ. Given the variety of people we're likely to encounter I was a tiny bit nervous. Now feeling more confident!
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:25 am

• There were an estimated 23,200 excess winter deaths which occurred in England and Wales in the 2018 to 2019 winter, the lowest since the winter of 2013 to 2014.

How many people did you seen wearing masks last winter, or the one before that?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In the last 2 weeks I've been to UK, Ireland, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Italy, Switzerland and Germany. Apart from some groups of Asian heritage who have long worn masts when travelling, I've only spotted one Westerner (in Italy) wearing a mask. Lounge agents aren't wearing masks in the Cathay lounge in CDG, for example. There are a lot more anti-bacterial pump dispenser on check-in desks, lounges and so on, given the staff have to handle boarding passes and passports. At BGY we were given a temperature scan on the gun (I failed on the first reading! But passed on the second test). The only precaution I am taking is trying to wash my hands in soap and hot water more regularly.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 23, 2020 at 2:35 am
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In the last 2 weeks I've been to UK, Ireland, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Italy, Switzerland and Germany. Apart from some groups of Asian heritage who have long worn masts when travelling, I've only spotted one Westerner (in Italy) wearing a mask. At BGY were were given a temperature scan on the gun (I failed on the first reading! But passed on the second test). The only precaution I am taking is trying to wash my hands in soap and hot water more regularly.
Surprised you only saw one Italian wearing a mask. Last weekend in FCO I must have seen at least 20 Westerners (presumed Italians) in them. I suspect the country’s hypochondria coupled with overt racism helped trigger that one (I went on a tour of Sicily and was informed the company had banned all Chinese from joining their tours).
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Surprised you only saw one Italian wearing a mask. Last weekend in FCO I must have seen at least 20 Westerners (presumed Italians) in them. I suspect the country’s hypochondria coupled with overt racism helped trigger that one (I went on a tour of Sicily and was informed the company had banned all Chinese from joining their tours).
I did watch a vox pop on RAI while waiting in the lounge, and indeed the sentiments expressed there were beyond troubling in terms of underlying racism and hysteria towards illness. The latter is not new for Italy. I had to stop listening.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Honestly, not to "shame" the op or anything, everyone is allowed to exercise whatever level of caution they deem necessary.

I presume based on the OP location and the forum this is in that they live in the UK. MOST of this proposed travel is within the region. So unless you've been holed up in the house this whole time, there's no more risk being out and about in Edinburgh or London than there is in going to the grocery store in Plymouth. Unless you really believe that just the sheer number of people in those cities is threatening. More towards the germ fraps known as aircrafts...I mean you (and WE) always run this risk. Being on a bus carriers the same risk, so does being anywhere that has lots of people especially in concentrated areas. Again, if you feel the need to exercise an abundance of caution, don't go, but remember your daily life when fretting about it.

I've seen plenty of masks lately, I work at an airport and I've been doing my usual non-refundable travel. I haven't worn one, but I bought some and I might use them when I go to Thailand next month, JUST in case. But honestly, I'll probably pack them and then not use them. I was on a business class flight between San Francisco and Lisbon and there was a guy wearing not only a mask, but also wearing latex gloves.

I think the biggest thing here, is look at yourself and determine if you're at risk. Are you travelling to China? No, that would be my other advice, is to not go to China right now. If you're at heightened risk to pneumonia or flu every year due to your age, or other auto-immune deficiencies then I would absolutely be avoiding any travel outside the region.

Even then though, it would be up to you to decide how close you'd get to the epicenter before you thought it was too risky. Is it possible an infected person is walking the streets of Glasgow or Amsterdam? Sure it is, are you gonna come in contact with them? Who knows.

Personally I'm not in an at risk group and I'm not terribly worried about it. I cancelled a couple nights I was supposed to spend in China and swapped those for just 2 extra days in Thailand, but that's really the only changes I've made. My bigger concern is buying a ticket, connecting in China (because it's cheap) then being denied entry or quarantined whenever I go somewhere and they see it's in my passport.
Dublin_rfk and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I am certainly not arguing with you... I truly don't know... but if they are so ineffective why then are so many people wearing them in affected areas?
It's the placebo effect. The same thing happened last month in Australia. With the fires raging and the smoke getting to the cities, masks were selling quicker than they could be replaced. Even though it was pointed out that with no filters, they were as good as useless in preventing the small particles that cause lung problems.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Save the masks for the bedroom, washing hands and good hygiene are more important.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Transferring through Doha late last week, the Chinese are all wearing masks and not many other people are bothering.

It won't protect you from much, so if you feel you may have coronavirus and might spread it, wear a mask (or even better stay at home)
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:46 am

Bacteria are very small indeed but monstrous compared to a virus. Anywhere that air can go a virus is sure to follow!

Wearing a mask will trap water and bugs of all sorts do much better when well watered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.