Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Goggle is your friend. The CureVac vaccine is an mRNA vaccine like Moderna and Pfizer but the one from CureVac uses unmodified mRNA while the other two use modified nucleotides in their RNA. Stepping away from Google, I think it is likely that the modifications stabilize the mRNA in Pfizer and Moderna so they work better. Stabilizing mRNAs has been a long term problem with trying to develop mRNA vaccines.
I googled it but unfortunately I did a PhD in a different discipline and modified nucleotides is beyond my scope of expertise :-) This is helpful. So there is hope that it is vaccine formulation more than the variant. I could not find quickly any data of efficacy of either Moderna or Pfizer agains this lambda variant. I think we know that it is pretty good against alpha.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by outgoing
I googled it but unfortunately I did a PhD in a different discipline and modified nucleotides is beyond my scope of expertise :-) This is helpful. So there is hope that it is vaccine formulation more than the variant. I could not find quickly any data of efficacy of either Moderna or Pfizer agains this lambda variant. I think we know that it is pretty good against alpha.

Mea culpa. Although for what it’s worth I despised RNA biochemistry in grad school. I think the Pfizer is close to 90% effective against the variant from India as compared to 97% effective against the original strain.
artemis and outgoing like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Goodlife--as in the Saberhagen <Berserker> novels.
I would have mentioned the reference but it hits too close to home, for you are no in-series Caliban.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The Delta variant might pose the biggest threat yet to vaccinated people (msn.com)

The Delta Covid-19 Variant is Spreading: What Does This Mean For the US? (msn.com)
GadgetFreak and outgoing like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:47 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Preprint of UK study shows loss of gray matter in some covid patients comparing brain scans before and after infection. The participants of the study had had their brains scanned before the pandemic as part of another study so the researchers had good recent baselines.

Most significant longitudinal group comparison results. The three main regions showing significant loss of grey matter (thickness, volume) between the two timepoints specifically for the COVID patients are the parahippocampal gyrus, the lateral orbitofrontal cortex, and the superior insula. All results were localised to the left hemisphere. For each region, the IDP spatial region of interest shown in magenta, overlaid on the FreeSurfer average inflated cortical surface; to the right are the scatter and box plots showing the difference in cortical thickness or volume between the two timepoints for the 388 controls and 394 COVID patients. In black circles are the 15 hospitalised COVID patients. All y axes are arbitrary units proportional to the original measures, due to the normalisation steps in the IDP preprocessing.

Three of the IDPs were located around the left lateral orbitofrontal cortex, with the last IDP being in the left superior insula. Each of these three regions exhibited a loss of grey matter following infection with SARS-CoV-2, worsening with disease severity amongst the fifteen COVID-19 patients known to have been hospitalized.

Other effects were noted amongst the hospitalized, including loss of grey matter in regions associated with memory in the left hemisphere and the temporal pole of the right hemisphere.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...in-tissue.aspx
artemis and FAA1996 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:54 am

Confirmation of the Regeneron MAB breakthrough.
Another life-saving Covid treatment found
- Results from the Recovery trial suggest it could help one in three of those in hospital with severe Covid. For every 100 patients treated, experts calculate, it would save six lives. –

- The monoclonal antibody treatment, made by Regeneron, binds to the virus to stop it infecting cells and replicating. In the trial, which included nearly 10,000 UK hospital patients, it significantly reduced the:

• risk of death
  • length of hospital stay, by four days on average
  • likelihood of needing a ventilator to breathe

Joint chief investigator Sir Martin Landray said: "Giving them this combination of two antibodies by an intravenous infusion then actually reduces their chances of dying by a fifth. "What we found is now here we can use an antiviral treatment, in this case these antibodies, in patients who have got a one in three chance of dying untreated and we can reduce that risk for them."

The treatment was given in addition to the anti-inflammatory steroid drug dexamethasone, which itself cuts death risk by up to a third for the sickest Covid patients. –
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Well so it seems that the delta variant is spreading at a pretty astonishing rate: https://www.ft.com/content/d4abbe5e-...a-2d3efa2ed52b. Kind of crazy that it is 30%+ in US already b/c last number I remembered was like 10% and this was not long ago!
GadgetFreak and nk15 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:54 pm

Well so it seems that the delta variant is spreading at a pretty astonishing rate: https://www.ft.com/content/d4abbe5e-...a-2d3efa2ed52b. Kind of crazy that it is 30%+ in US already b/c last number I remembered was like 10% and this was not long ago!

At one level not very surprising. When it was at 10% the CDC predicted that percentage would double every two weeks. That will make it close to 80% in the US by the end of July. One of the bad things about that is with it being the dominant variant more vaccinated people will get infected. A similar thing just happened in the UK.
artemis likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:02 pm

One of the bad things about that is with it being the dominant variant more vaccinated people will get infected. A similar thing just happened in the UK.
Meh, I was really hoping to avoid catching this stuff but now that the masks are off for the most part it's really frustrating....
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:08 pm

Meh, I was really hoping to avoid catching this stuff but now that the masks are off for the most part it's really frustrating....
At least with Delta most vaccinated people won’t catch it. But some at the edge of immune system performance will.
artemis and outgoing like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Like 5 days ago.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 7:02 pm

If the number of vaccinated persons getting covid were to increase by 300%, it would still only be 0.06% of vaccinated persons.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-in-l-a-county
JNelson113, outgoing and VCURamFan like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
And along with the other comments, it's likely *good* that vaccinated people get exposed to other forms of the illness. Challenge that immune system and all that.. You get exposed, you fight it off successfully, you're even better prepared next time.
JNelson113, outgoing and FlitBen like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:53 am

One of the bad things about that is with it being the dominant variant more vaccinated people will get infected.
I wonder if those of us who've been fully vaccinated for a while would now benefit from a booster?
Loren Pechtel and outgoing like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by artemis
I wonder if those of us who've been fully vaccinated for a while would now benefit from a booster?
At the moment there is no evidence of immunity waning from vaccines. It wouldn't be entirely surprising if it did happen at some point, but so far measurements of things such as spike protein antibodies are holding up surprisingly well for both of the UK main vaccines, Pfizer and AstraZeneca. We don't use enough Moderna and Janssen J&J in the UK to see a trend and in any case they are late to the UK market. But people who were vaccinated with Pfizer in December and AZ in January are showing good levels of protection. We are in the midst of a Delta surge at the moment and we are not seeing many people in their 80s in Intensive Care beds, and the death rate remains close to zero. Those in their 80s had their jabs mainly in January. second jabs in March, and we got effectively complete coverage of that cohort, the actual figure being 99.7%. The UK stretched the second dose timetable to 10 to 12 weeks, and that partly explains the good figures now. We are preparing, logistically, for a booster run in the autumn of 2021, tentatively starting approx 17 October, for those over 50 starting with those over 80. But right now there isn't a clinical need for it, there isn't a piece of paper out there saying "this is definitely going to help".

Three things could change this: firstly evidence that vaccine effectiveness does actually wane, as I say it's not visible yet. In a sense that is inevitable at some point, but the vaccines are still relatively early to the market. Secondly yet another variant which like Delta has some extra attack lines, for which high immunity levels are needed rather than mediocre ones. Finally - probably the more likely at the moment - is the various "pick and mix" studies going on to see if (say) Pfizer then AZ then Moderna would be better than Pfizer + Pfizer. I am slightly sceptical of this, since in theory such a differential should only give a short term benefit, in the long run it should all even out.

For those with reduced or over active immune systems a different set of logic may apply, there are a number of studies out on this, we're expecting some results fairly soon.
renila, GadgetFreak, TTT and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.