Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
There are fundamental ethical issues with enlisting children and giving them a vaccine of little to no benefit to them and unknown long-term negative effects (although one very serious one already popped up) to protect the rest of us.
I think to be fact based, it's worth pointing out that there will NOTbe long term side effects of the type that people drop dead in 5 years time because they took the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine today. There may be side effects that are visible short term, but the serious ones are one in a million chances and in the case of the recently discovered myocarditis in young men all have so far recovered - so no long term side effects (source: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021...issue-in-youth).
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
My nuance ends where I have hard data and the hard data are, to my knowledge, that vaccine is safe and effective in population 12+. It is also fact that masks prevent the spread of the virus indoors but they are less effective/needed outdoors unless in crowded places.

Fair points but I think you selectively picked my point (a) and omitted points (b) and (c). This is fine. To my understanding the rates of muscle heart inflammation are extremely rare. What was it 7 cases out of millions of doses? This is the Pediatrics paper that describes this in the US: https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...ds.2021-052478. I think this is all besides the point though b/c the vaccine is not mandatory, however, I trust regulators in the US, EU, Israel etc that the vaccine is safe. In that, I could argue that it is monstrous to expose other people - e.g., with immune suppression - to these unvaccinated kids especially given that mortality is higher among older ages and people with co-morbidities. I don't think we want to get into a discussion on value of life of different groups and ethics of such valuation. Thus, if we want to fully open we can either (a) separate kids from these people or (b) vaccinate both groups or (c) continue with restrictions until we know the long-run consequences of these vaccines (but how long is long-run? a year, a decade?).

Speaking of nuance - also note my point (c) that you skipped - there is more and more evidence of long-covid in children (and actually pretty severe) thus I'd argue that we should look at their health beyond just the initial infection. I don't have time to dig out stats (I' m not sure these even exist but maybe someone could help here) but I'm willing to bet that rate of covid complications in children is higher than rate of vaccination complications.
renila, artemis and JBJ2435 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Yes the virus killed hundreds of thousands of Americans and millions worldwide. The infection-fatality rate for the relevant group, children, is basically zero. I am not going to go into the flu/covid comparison with regard to children, but for example measles is orders of magnitude more deadly. Even this century, hundreds of thousands die annually, mostly children under the age of 5. In developed countries like the US, measles has a 0.3% case fatality rate, but double digits in poorer nations. For the US, it's 0.01% for covid. 0.004% in Canada.

"Garbage" may indeed be an apt word to use, but you of all people....
Kids still transmit it to adults even if it's not that bad in kids. And the current issue is colleges and employers mandating it, not grade schools.

Originally Posted by FlitBen
The important thing is that he knows enough to follow and contact domain experts. Factual sites must remain objective, balanced, discerning, and in the main, reliable. The author shows it where it counts but has moved on to other work, unfortunately.

As the article suggests, we will know the long-term results in the long term.
Vaccine side effects show up soon, not long down the road.

In FDA and other catalogs, approved drugs tend to have profiles filled with years of human clinical studies and field reports. Released vaccines each have only a year at most of such observations.

From what I have read, classic immunology tends to tread with care between unresolved expectations and outcomes. I think the precautionary principle applies strongly, since the vast majority of children and young adults are hardly affected if at all and collectively do not drive the contagion.
Covid is a serious risk to anyone that is highly exposed.

The 1969 and especially the 1957 pandemics are within ballpark. HIV is persistently worse, Spanish Flu another level of obscene. Nothing approaches the continued decimation of 50M+ unborn and counting, depending on your interpretation of ‘killed in US history’.
I didn't say it was the highest, I said it was just about the highest. Finding a few events above it isn't a rebuttal.

Originally Posted by outgoing
I find it quite amusing that people who want to be cautious/risk averse on vaccinations are often the same folks who are outraged by the idea of mask mandates if they are just marginally effective (or even if they are shown to be effective). Oh well.
Yeah, it's obvious they're following the goodlife that wants to see as many people dead as possible.

I think it is understood that we want to vaccinate kids mainly to (a) protect others (including those who cannot get vaccinated and those who have weaker response to vaccines for various medical and non-medical reasons); (b) limit the ability of virus to circulate and mutate (let's see what happens when we get the delta variant here; my hunch is that things are going to stop being rosy); and (c) to protect kids from long-covid (which to my understanding is pretty serious and prevalent: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...1250375v1.full) as well as protect them against new variants that may emerge which target children more than the original strain.
Delta is already here, just not that widespread yet.

Given that vaccines are tested, safe, and effective all these seem like good enough reasons to have mass vaccinations of kids. At the same time I get the "freedom" argument and I think the market could regulate that. If you don't get vaccinated then just pay higher insurance premiums to cover the potential increased costs of the disease. I shouldn't be "forced" to bear anyone's moral hazard costs. But that's my general thought, like with cigarettes, folks who don't want to vaccinate but can (including e.g., flu) or don't want to undergo routine medical screenings should just pay higher premiums.
How many of them are even insured in the first place. The freedumb crowd doesn't think they'll need it.

Originally Posted by 8420PR
I think to be fact based, it's worth pointing out that there will NOTbe long term side effects of the type that people drop dead in 5 years time because they took the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine today. There may be side effects that are visible short term, but the serious ones are one in a million chances and in the case of the recently discovered myocarditis in young men all have so far recovered - so no long term side effects (source: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021...issue-in-youth).
Exactly. Anything risky enough to make the vaccine a worse choice than not taking it would have shown up in the trials.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What do the two articles have to do with each other? One discusses how a variant is presenting the other about possible negative side effects of some vaccines.
For the mass of older vacinees, not much. Only young males due for an mRNA-based shot might need to distinguish between the evolving sets of symptoms, which should be nil for most of them. ID experts may have a different take of these concerns.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Delta 10% of new cases currently in the US, versus 90% in the UK, it will make a big difference if/when becomes dominant in the US.

Delta, now a 'variant of concern,' accounts for 10 percent of new U.S. cases, CDC says (nbcnews.com)
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by exp
Article showing relative R0 factors of the different variants.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57431420

Delta variant is over 3x as transmissible as the original Wuhan variant and up to 2x transmissible as alpha variant?
I've always struggled with some of these figures since while in general they are correct, when you get down to an individual level, and ask questions like age, weight, height, other illnesses, household composition you then one can expect get different numbers.

So for Delta, what distinguishes it from other variants and Pre-Alpha (base lineage) Covid is that it works on the Spike protein in a slightly different way, so that it gets through the body's immune system slightly more effectively. The actual problem is that this means a weaker level of exposure is enough to catch Covid in a serious way. Hence a younger unvaccinated, or undervaccinated, person living in a large household or in student shared accommodation is more likely to get Delta than Alpha, and a lot more than Pre-Alpha Covid. An older couple living alone, and both vaccinated are in a better space here, thankfully. This is how variants work - they seek better transmission in their evolution, and if you're really unlucky they do this via a better attack tactics on the immune system. Alpha didn't do the latter so much. Which then explains why one dose of a vaccine isn't so effective as it was up to and including Alpha. You need the second dose to overcome the immunity advance made by Delta.

But the good news is that despite the fact that all Western endorsed vaccines were developed to purely deal with Pre-Alpha Covid, so far they have also overcome all 4 of the Variants of Concern, 8 Variants of Interest and probably the 25 or so Variants under Investigation. And probably the hundreds of other variants and mutations out there. It seems likely that at some point a variant will put up a tougher fight against the vaccines, but there again all the main vaccine developers are working on second generation vaccines, and the mRNA vaccines have an obvious head start in this department.

Anyway to go back to how we measure this, R0 means if you don't go mad on public health measures, how many people will 1 person typically infect? For Pre-Alpha it's 2.5 people. For Alpha (currently dominant in the US) it is 4.5. For Delta it is about 6 people but we are still collecting data on this one, it may be slightly lower. Compared to 18 for measles (thanks to school settings for the likely victims). I am pretty sure Delta iin the USA will do exactly what it did in the UK: kill off Alpha due to its evolutionary advantage. It's therefore critical that the USA gets people under 30 double vaccinated as quickly as possible. It has a couple of weeks advantage here, which should not be squandered. This is on the basis that nearly everyone over 50 has had both vaccines, since they remain the most at risk from an avoidable death.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Originally Posted by nk15
Delta 10% of new cases currently in the US, versus 90% in the UK, it will make a big difference if/when becomes dominant in the US.

Delta, now a 'variant of concern,' accounts for 10 percent of new U.S. cases, CDC says (nbcnews.com)
If this is correct we should see relatively quickly large spatial differences in cases due to very different vaccination rates across state or even counties. MO, AR, UT, and LA already reversed the declining trend in cases.
GUWonder, renila, Temedar and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Kids still transmit it to adults even if it's not that bad in kids. And the current issue is colleges and employers mandating it, not grade schools. –
Children spread lots of risky things to adults. Adults try to not spread risky things to children, at least not the responsible adults. This generational advantage of our species is what wiser members rely on for collective survival and prosperity.

- Vaccine side effects show up soon, not long down the road. –
Since you seem so certain, you might explain the long-term clinical surveillance.
Statement on Published Article PMID: 33113270
- the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are early, 2-months follow up results, so, while the results are encouraging and reduce my concern, they do not eliminate it. A good example of that is that no mortality benefit is seen so far from the vaccines: e.g. there was one death each in the Moderna vaccine and placebo groups of 15,000 subjects. Clearly, that is not reflective of the real situation, where one would expect a safe and effective vaccine to reduce the number of deaths significantly as compared to placebo, if COVID-19 is indeed as deadly a disease as it seems to be. I do not believe that the "you may experience adverse effects that we do not know about yet" informed consent clause is sufficient because this clause does not reach the level of patient comprehension of the risk of ADE, which likely remains the most significant risk of this vaccine. –

- Bottom line: my opinion is that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine data DOES support that you will nearly 100% protect your family and community from transmission of the virus through you if you are vaccinated, but at some as yet unknown, but likely small, health risk to yourself from antibody-mediated tissue damage, not from the vaccine, but from later exposure to the virus. –

- June 1, 2021. There are reports that the CDC is investigating myocarditis resulting from Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. The current reports are that these incidents are very, very rare, however, myocarditis is a possible outcome of ADE/VAH, and myocarditis was clearly prevalent in those experiencing severe disease from COVID-19, suggesting that it may indeed by an antibody-mediated phenomenon in COVID-19 infection and vaccination. Therefore, my conclusion remains that there is a very low, but real, risk of ADE/VAH from the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, likely a similar risk from the Novavax vaccine (although there is very little data on this), a slightly higher, but still very low risk of ADE/VAH from Johnson and Johnson and potentially significant risk from Astra Zeneca and other vaccines. –
Adverse effects are rare among everyone infected, i.e. not reported for just anyone. I can see how good convention might be dismissed by persuading others that anyone so exposed is seriously at risk.

- Covid is a serious risk to anyone that is highly exposed. –
Not just anyone.

As I posted before.
- A useful recap of the odds for exposed people, by age.
COVID Infection Fatality Rates by Sex and Age
- Perhaps the most important question that each of us wants to know in regard to the coronavirus pandemic is, "Will I get COVID and die?" Being able to answer that question with some specificity should help us craft smart public health policies. Probably the most useful measure is the infection-fatality rate (IFR), which answers the question, "If I get sick, what is the chance that I will die?" –

- There are several observations worth noting. First, as we have long known, people of college age and younger are very unlikely to die. The 5-9 and 10-14 age groups are the least likely to die. (Note that an IFR of 0.001% means that one person in that age group will die for every 100,000 infected.) The 0-4 and 15-19 age groups are three times likelier to die than the 5-9 and 10-14 age groups, but the risk is still exceedingly small at 0.003% (or 3 deaths for every 100,000 infected).

Second, the IFR slowly increases with age through the 60-64 age group. But after that, beginning with the 65-69 age group, the IFR rises sharply. This group has an overall IFR just over 1% (or 1 death for every 100 infected). That's a fairly major risk of death. (The red line in the chart marks where the "1% threshold" is crossed.) The IFR then grows substantially and becomes quite scary for people in their 70s and older. People in the 75-79 age group have more than a 3% chance of dying if infected with coronavirus, while people aged 80 and over have more than an 8% chance of dying. That's roughly the same chance as rolling a four with two dice.

Third, the virus discriminates. Beginning with the 20-24 age group, men are about twice as likely to die as women from COVID. This pattern remains in each age group through 80+. –
You still have some persuading to do.

- I didn't say it was the highest, I said it was just about the highest. Finding a few events above it isn't a rebuttal. –
It was not meant to be in the wider sense, for there are far bigger killers of man that I do not ever recall you dwelling on. Such as malaria, which is estimated to have caused more than a tenth of all mortality across millennia.

“Killer event” conflation is not that interesting outside of teleology.

- Anything risky enough to make the vaccine a worse choice than not taking it would have shown up in the trials. –
Conversely, anything not risky enough that makes not taking the vaccine the better choice would have shown in the trials as well.
JNelson113 likes this.

Last edited by FlitBen; Jun 16, 2021 at 11:34 am
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:23 am

- Yeah, it's obvious they're following the goodlife that wants to see as many people dead as possible. –
The one thing obvious in your disdain is that judgmental “goodlife” allusion.

- How many of them are even insured in the first place. The freedumb crowd doesn't think they'll need it. –
And that is a general fact-based claim, because?
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one thing obvious in your disdain is that judgmental “goodlife” allusion.
Goodlife--as in the Saberhagen Berzerker novels.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
CureVac’s Covid-19 Vaccine Disappoints in Clinical Trial (msn.com)
Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:09 pm

Now what I would want to know (and we should know asap) is what's the "real-life" efficacy of Pfizer & Moderna against this Lambda variant? It seems that Pfizer is emergency approved and hence most likely used in Peru. Any data on this? I think it is also important to understand what did they do different from Pfizer and Moderna. The article is vague about that.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:46 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
My nuance ends where I have hard data and the hard data are, to my knowledge, that vaccine is safe and effective in population 12+. It is also fact that masks prevent the spread of the virus indoors but they are less effective/needed outdoors unless in crowded places.

Fair points but I think you selectively picked my point (a) and omitted points (b) and (c). This is fine. To my understanding the rates of muscle heart inflammation are extremely rare. What was it 7 cases out of millions of doses? This is the Pediatrics paper that describes this in the US: https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...ds.2021-052478. I think this is all besides the point though b/c the vaccine is not mandatory, however, I trust regulators in the US, EU, Israel etc that the vaccine is safe. In that, I could argue that it is monstrous to expose other people - e.g., with immune suppression - to these unvaccinated kids especially given that mortality is higher among older ages and people with co-morbidities. I don't think we want to get into a discussion on value of life of different groups and ethics of such valuation. Thus, if we want to fully open we can either (a) separate kids from these people or (b) vaccinate both groups or (c) continue with restrictions until we know the long-run consequences of these vaccines (but how long is long-run? a year, a decade?).

Speaking of nuance - also note my point (c) that you skipped - there is more and more evidence of long-covid in children (and actually pretty severe) thus I'd argue that we should look at their health beyond just the initial infection. I don't have time to dig out stats (I' m not sure these even exist but maybe someone could help here) but I'm willing to bet that rate of covid complications in children is higher than rate of vaccination complications.
I didn't address points (b) and (c) because (a) was so beyond the pale from my perspective. But okay:

(b) limit the ability of virus to circulate and mutate (let's see what happens when we get the delta variant here; my hunch is that things are going to stop being rosy)
The virus will mutate most likely in countries who won't have widespread vaccination for another couple of years. In other words, it will not develop in the tiny child (who are not very good at transmitting it to boot) unvaccinated population in the West, but among adults in the Third World. So this is irrelevant at best.
and (c) to protect kids from long-covid (which to my understanding is pretty serious and prevalent:
There aren't enough good studies, but some have come up with single digit percentage of long covid in children (and I believe less so for the wee ones), that's hardly "prevalent".

There are actually 700 or so (you are off by a factor of 100) cases of myocarditis in the US alone.

A USC study from a few months comes to mind. They asked people what they thought their risk of dying of Covid was. Age groups like 30s and 40s said something like 20%. Which is off by a factor of many many THOUSANDS. This is a serious disease, yes, but the public has been scared witless, and public policy in too many places, including and especially Canada, where I live, is based on pandering to that irrational but large part of the electorate.

The freedumb crowd doesn't think they'll need it.
There is nothing dumb about freedom, this is coming form someone who spent a large portion of his life behind the Iron Curtain. You obviously fancy yourself one of the smart ones who should dictate how others live their lives.
I didn't say it was the highest, I said it was just about the highest. Finding a few events above it isn't a rebuttal.
It's a lot more dangerous than many childhood diseases used to be--diseases for which schools mandate vaccination
I gave the obvious example of Measles. But the same holds for smallpox, polio (thankfully largely eradicated), as well as tetanus, chickenpox, hepatitis B, etc. Some of those may be on par with covid with respect to severity, but are hugely more infectious. Give me a list of "many childhood diseases used to be--diseases for which schools mandate vaccination" that covid is "a lot more dangerous". Include infection rates for comparison too, if you can.

Piece of cake for someone smart like you.
minichr1s likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:47 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Now what I would want to know (and we should know asap) is what's the "real-life" efficacy of Pfizer & Moderna against this Lambda variant? It seems that Pfizer is emergency approved and hence most likely used in Peru. Any data on this? I think it is also important to understand what did they do different from Pfizer and Moderna. The article is vague about that.
Some additional details via the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/06...urevac-vaccine
CureVac had some advantages over the other mRNA vaccines, such as keeping stable for months in a refrigerator. What’s more, compared with its competitors, CureVac’s vaccine used fewer mRNA molecules per jab, lowering its cost.
Perhaps something to do with it's enhanced stability?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Goggle is your friend. The CureVac vaccine is an mRNA vaccine like Moderna and Pfizer but the one from CureVac uses unmodified mRNA while the other two use modified nucleotides in their RNA. Stepping away from Google, I think it is likely that the modifications stabilize the mRNA in Pfizer and Moderna so they work better. Stabilizing mRNAs has been a long term problem with trying to develop mRNA vaccines.
artemis, Temedar, outgoing and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.