Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Old Sep 10, 2020, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
huh they say "test sierologico "
isn't serological test for antibodies (eg immunity) rather than disease?
I guess so; but I’m not an expert on tests.

what I find interesting is that it’s the first case of “carpet testing” in Italy and it could give an idea of how widely the virus has spread.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Here is an interesting article from the BBC news site.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:58 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Interesting report from the CDC with odds ratio from various venues As expected drinking and eating on site presents statistical risks.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...36a5_w#T1_down

nk15 and ProleOnParole like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Interesting report from the CDC with odds ratio from various venues As expected drinking and eating on site presents statistical risks.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...36a5_w#T1_down

So dumb question since I don't know how to interpret this. If the little dots for the two lines are farther apart, (same category) that means it's statistically significant, yes?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:43 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

The circle represent the odd value, to read on the X axis. The lines terminated by two little vertical marks are the error range. The smaller the line the more confident the value are.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:33 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Why are the odds greater for Bar/Coffee Shop versus Restaurant?

Restaurants have bigger spaces and maybe not as much chattering?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Sweden had negative excess mortality during this summer. While testing results can be disputed, I don't think anyone suggests that Sweden is hiding their corpses. There definitely is some positive change happening over there.

yvrcnx likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 12:57 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

They have a strong negative P score from January to March, during flu season. What happened early 2020, they suddenly had better healthcare ? So based on that then this summer they have a positive excess death.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:09 pm
exp
Suspended

Or maybe they've still curtailed a lot of activities?

While most other countries were partying hard in the summer, the Swedes aren't having big gatherings for weddings, churches, bars, etc.?
the810 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Why are the odds greater for Bar/Coffee Shop versus Restaurant?

Restaurants have bigger spaces and maybe not as much chattering?
I'd guess it has to do with the space, waiting in lines, waiting to pick up, etc, even the number of different people that will pass by you if you sit in a coffee shop for an hour vs sitting at a restaurant table for an hour. Similar for bars, especially since you're more likely to find people who, um, care a bit less there.

I haven't read through the whole study yet; I assume the odds are as they are now (e.g. public transit that's likely less crowded, offices WITH rearranged distancing spaces and restrictions on meetings etc), not the odds in those scenarios if we went back to full-crowd "normal" for each.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC MM
Is the fact that hospitalizations and death rates are 'significantly' down compared to Spring being adressed by any countries or are infection rates still the driving force for restrictions and lock downs?
Just looking at France's numbers, as well as almost all other countries) which are higher over the last few days compared to their highest numers in Spring yet hospitalizations are low, I wonder if this might be looked at or maybe still is too early for drawing conclusions at this point.

This is not to criticize what is or isn't being looked at, I am just wondering since I haven't heard much about this particular development so far in the news.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
Is the fact that hospitalizations and death rates are 'significantly' down compared to Spring being adressed by any countries or are infection rates still the driving force for restrictions and lock downs?
Just looking at France's numbers, as well as almost all other countries) which are higher over the last few days compared to their highest numers in Spring yet hospitalizations are low, I wonder if this might be looked at or maybe still is too early for drawing conclusions at this point.

This is not to criticize what is or isn't being looked at, I am just wondering since I haven't heard much about this particular development so far in the news.
Hospitalizations are lagging indicators. ANd increased testing grabs more asymptomatics which don't need hospitals in the first place.

For example: compare to the USA. While we had *many* more cases over the summer than the spring, the hospitalization is about the same and the deaths are lower, but the time lag between case peak, hospitalization peak, and death peak is unchanged. Conclusions?
1. More testing = more cases (this is not a bad thing)
2. Testing capacity allows you to test people that weren't tested previously, which allows you to (presumably) isolate those that are sick and prevent more of the spread.
3. We have advanced treating to improve care/death, so we're learning to prevent the worst outcomes.
4. Increased compliance on social distancing and masking likely contribute to lower proportion of mild to severe cases.

Hospital admissions are probably the best indicator we have about the severity of a certain outbreak.
yvrcnx, 8420PR, the810 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hurnik
So dumb question since I don't know how to interpret this. If the little dots for the two lines are farther apart, (same category) that means it's statistically significant, yes?
The horizontal lines are the error bars. What counts is if the bars don't touch the 1. Bars and restaurants.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:56 pm
exp
Suspended

I think the new infections in Europe are also going to more young people than back in April.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
First UCSF Covid Medical Ground Rounds in a while yesterday. Well worth the 90 minutes.

Review of summer second wave

Super spreading is not because of some person with special anatomy or prolonged carriage of the carrier, more due to accident: timing of the transmission occurred at the peak load time of a typical carrier.

Hot spots in California are all in agriculture areas.

First time all counties in Bay Area have R0 < 1

All US vaccines in Phase 3 trial will need two doses. The Pfizer and Moderna, both mRNA, have extreme cold chain requirement. -70C, will be a problem.

Why mortality rate is decreasing
a) more young patients - No. Decrease is across all ages. Better treatment to all ages
b) more masking - Likely. Masks reduce virus doses in infection
c) increased immunity - Universal masking increases the ratio of asymptomatic patients who develop immunity. Some herd immunity in certain localities.

Lower mortality rate not because of virus mutation.

Why San Francisco has much lower mortality compared to anywhere else.

Research in Aero-Nabs: Nanobody treatment - binding the spike protein of the viruses through aerosol sprays into noses. Potentially the first treatment in early stage of infection. (The science part is easy to understand and very interesting)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.