Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Earlier this summer, the Summit supercomputer at Oak Ridge National Lab in Tennessee set about crunching data on more than 40,000 genes from 17,000 genetic samples in an effort to better understand Covid-19. Summit is the second-fastest computer in the world, but the process — which involved analyzing 2.5 billion genetic combinations — still took more than a week.

When Summit was done, researchers analyzed the results. It was, in the words of Dr. Daniel Jacobson, lead researcher and chief scientist for computational systems biology at Oak Ridge, a “eureka moment.” The computer had revealed a new theory about how Covid-19 impacts the body: the bradykinin hypothesis. The hypothesis provides a model that explains many aspects of Covid-19, including some of its most bizarre symptoms. It also suggests 10-plus potential treatments, many of which are already FDA approved. Jacobson’s group published their results in a paper in the journal eLife in early July.

https://elemental.medium.com/a-super...d-31cb8eba9d63
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by TTT
I can help with a few. See responses above with sources.
Than you. I have one follow-up question then. If mortality is 0.3%, how does this corresponds to the numbers here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVI..._and_territory

If 0.3% is the correct number then with 6m infected in US death should be 18k, not 188k - 10 times higher number which is 3% of mortality.

Or if 0.3% is the correct, then for US case 6m are only detected/diagnosed cases and in reality 60m or 20% of country population already had it.

Last edited by invisible; Sep 3, 2020 at 9:23 am
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:17 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
You are right, if IFR is 0.3% and there are 188k (excess death is > 200k) then real infections numbers are circa 60m.
BUT IFR is 0.3% in a specific context. If the healthcare are overwhelmed locally for that region the IFR can go up to 1%.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by invisible
Than you. I have one follo-up question then. If mortality is 0.3%, how does this corresponds to the numbers here

If 0.3% is the correct number then with 6m infected in US death should be 18k, not 188k - 10 times higher number which is 3% of mortality.

Or if 0.3% is the correct, then for US case 6m are only detected/diagnosed cases and in reality 60m or 20% of country population already had it.
Well, they don’t really know that precisely how many asymptomatic cases there are. They know diagnosed cases and some estimates of deaths. Deaths probably being higher than estimated. But I’m pretty sure the 6 million are detected cases.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 6:54 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by invisible
Than you. I have one follo-up question then. If mortality is 0.3%, how does this corresponds to the numbers here

I believe the consensus is the latter. The CDC estimated that about 10x the confirmed cases had been infected back in June.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-times-larger/

Link to CDC study from JAMA stating a 6x-24x difference: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...tm_term=072120

But as I said, fatality rate is very country dependent. Countries that didn't protect their vulnerable populations well will have higher death rates. I'm sure we will see the same thing in states as well.
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by TTT; Sep 3, 2020 at 8:13 am
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TTT
My understanding is that the majority of the vaccines in development target the spike protein. Still unknown on whether they will work across strains but it's possible since all strains seem to use the same binding process.
Yes it's possible. I should have been clear that I don't know what will work across strains or will not work. Perhaps no one knows yet. Which is why it may be foolish to be predicting when vaccines will foster international travel. If country A produces a vaccine tor its citizens, that may not be accepted by country B not just for political reason, but because it simply doesn't work in country B.

Worse yet, what happens when people get their vaccines and believe they are now invulnerable. Then some random infected traveler arrives from another country with another strain and infects some of the local population? I'm not sure enough people are aware of the potential outcomes of the vaccines currently in the works. That said, I of course hope that a good working vaccine can be produced that covers all the potential varieties of SARS-CoV2.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:08 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes it's possible. I should have been clear that I don't know what will work across strains or will not work. Perhaps no one knows yet. Which is why it may be foolish to be predicting when vaccines will foster international travel. If country A produces a vaccine tor its citizens, that may not be accepted by country B not just for political reason, but because it simply doesn't work in country B.

Worse yet, what happens when people get their vaccines and believe they are now invulnerable. Then some random infected traveler arrives from another country with another strain and infects some of the local population? I'm not sure enough people are aware of the potential outcomes of the vaccines currently in the works. That said, I of course hope that a good working vaccine can be produced that covers all the potential varieties of SARS-CoV2.
That's a really interesting point about vaccine passports. There is going to be a lot of wait and see in the next couple of years.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I wasn’t talking about quality. I was talking about certifications.
The face masks given to me at UCSF hospital when I went in as a patient, and those wearing by my daughter at ZSFG hospital (she just completed a rotation at ICU), are the same as the ones our group donated to the hospitals. Some of the boxes on the table at UCSF hospital Mission Bay entrance are identical to the ones I purchased from Amazon,
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
The face masks given to me at UCSF hospital when I went in as a patient, and those wearing by my daughter at ZSFG hospital (she just completed a rotation at ICU), are the same as the ones our group donated to the hospitals. Some of the boxes on the table at UCSF hospital Mission Bay entrance are identical to the ones I purchased from Amazon,
It’s good that they have a steady supply then. Based on the above post you responded to it seems like the supply problems might be localized.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fransknorge
You are right, if IFR is 0.3% and there are 188k (excess death is > 200k) then real infections numbers are circa 60m.
BUT IFR is 0.3% in a specific context. If the healthcare are overwhelmed locally for that region the IFR can go up to 1%.
Exactly. 0.3% might be the overall mean IFR but there is a confidence interval attached to the point estimate and IFR varies by age (much higher in the elderly). So it does not necessarily mean 60m have been infected if most deaths are occurring in the elderly where IFR would be much higher and if the point estimates for IFR in younger people have a high degree of imprecision due to local availability of high dependency medical care.

I find IFR not a particularly straightforward metric for COVID-19 as it varies so much depending on patient/healthcare service factors rather than the virus itself and CFR is a complete non-starter as COVID-19 encompasses so many illnesses it seems impossible to define what represents a "case".
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is assuming the disease is equally spread across the population, something which likely isn't true as behavior influences whether you are infected or not.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Just a reminder the 0.3% rate quoted earlier, and which is recent and from what I think is good data, is for the country of Iceland.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2026116

Transposing the Iceland 0.3% to other places should, therefore, look to take into account factors which may be different. Indeed, others may look at the study and data and disregard the number entirely!
Other studies/data from other places give different numbers.

I don't have a recent number for Germany, but if one pops up, I'd want to take a look as that might be an indicator of what a large industrialised country should be able to achieve at this time. A benchmark so-to-speak.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 5:50 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
There has been more and more paper recently that proves that airborne transmission does occur:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0412020319942#

Abstract

As public health teams respond to the pandemic of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), containment and understanding of the modes of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) transmission is of utmost importance for policy making. During this time, governmental agencies have been instructing the community on handwashing and physical distancing measures. However, there is no agreement on the role of aerosol transmission for SARS-CoV-2. To this end, we aimed to review the evidence of aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2. Several studies support that aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is plausible, and the plausibility score (weight of combined evidence) is 8 out of 9. Precautionary control strategies should consider aerosol transmission for effective mitigation of SARS-CoV-2.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2770172

Conclusions and RelevanceIn this cohort study and case investigation of a community outbreak of COVID-19 in Zhejiang province, individuals who rode a bus to a worship event with a patient with COVID-19 had a higher risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection than individuals who rode another bus to the same event. Airborne spread of SARS-CoV-2 seems likely to have contributed to the high attack rate in the exposed bus. Future efforts at prevention and control must consider the potential for airborne spread of the virus.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 6:00 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlefish
Just a reminder the 0.3% rate quoted earlier, and which is recent and from what I think is good data, is for the country of Iceland.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2026116

Transposing the Iceland 0.3% to other places should, therefore, look to take into account factors which may be different. Indeed, others may look at the study and data and disregard the number entirely!
Other studies/data from other places give different numbers.

I don't have a recent number for Germany, but if one pops up, I'd want to take a look as that might be an indicator of what a large industrialised country should be able to achieve at this time. A benchmark so-to-speak
In the UK the rate is estimated to be between 0.3% and 0.49%
Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
A question for those think aerosol transmission is rare

There has been more and more paper recently that proves that airborne transmission does occur:
1. By now most everyone agrees that outdoor is safer than indoor, and ventilation is important. A poorly ventilated room is more dangerous.

2. But people are still debating the significance of airborne transmission.

Why? It seems to me that #1 . above is the most convincing argument for aerosol transmission. How else can you explain #1 . if aerosol path is rare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.