Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
After SARS, did the authorities give any consideration more restrictive laws on housing or having livestock in bigger cities?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:33 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by wco81
After SARS, did the authorities give any consideration more restrictive laws on housing or having livestock in bigger cities?
"Livestock" are farm animals.
In this case they are reporting "wild" animals.The Huanan Seafood Market advertised a variety of live animals, including dogs, peacocks, otters, camels, and koalas, according to The South China Morning Post.

Photos posted to social media also suggest the market was selling live
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Imagine the indignation if NYC was shut-down in the run up to "the holidays"...and this may be after the horse has already bolted, but suggests that the govnt wants, now at least, not to be seen as not having done enough.

The govnt has also released 30M RMB in emergency research funds into the virus: ironically, the best lab in China to handle research into this virus is in Wuhan...although colleagues in Fudan have already jumped on the bandwagon.

The biggest irony for me is that if you ask the average or even educated Chinese, which of these measures will best prevent the outbreak:
a) shut down Wuhan (sure!), b) buy all the respirators on taobao (sold out, but sure!), c) panic (why not?!), d) wash your hands thoroughly and regularly (what!!!)

Yep, the single most effective thing, regular and scrupulous hand-washing just can't penetrate the regular habit of almost all folks. One of my students is panicking, because his family (in Anhui) just laughed at him when he suggested they all wash hands more frequently, so the agreed compromise was that when he gets home from Beijing tomorrow, to douse him in alcohol before entering the house (sigh).

tb
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:24 pm

Wuhan has been effectively quarantined: if you're there you can't leave for who knows how long.

Nobody knows how this will develop. But if the epidemic does spread, it's proper caution to assume other big cities will be similarly closed, hard as that is to practically imagine.

So myself, I'd strongly suggest anyone thinking of travelling to China in the coming weeks to think again and again. Especially if considering travel to places like Shanghai, Nanjing, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, or Shenzhen.

Remember that as with Wuhan, the government takes these quarantine measures without warning. You could just wake up one morning and find you are stuck.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
"Livestock" are farm animals.
In this case they are reporting "wild" animals.The Huanan Seafood Market advertised a variety of live animals, including dogs, peacocks, otters, camels, and koalas, according to The South China Morning Post.

Photos posted to social media also suggest the market was selling live wolf pups and civet cats,
Well weren't chickens implicated in the bird flu?

But yes, SARS is associated with undomesticated animals. Yet they wanted them alive in a city market so that it's "fresh"?

Even in the case of domesticated animals, there are city codes against for instance keeping cows, lamb, pigs, etc. in big cities.

When you go through airport screening, they specifically ask you whether you've been to farms recently IIRC. Not sure if they asked specifically about livestock though but of course these were measures taken with various livestock scares like Mad Cow disease, hoof and mouth, etc.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:47 pm

Well weren't chickens implicated in the bird flu?

But yes, SARS is associated with undomesticated animals. Yet they wanted them alive in a city market so that it's "fresh"?

Even in the case of domesticated animals, there are city codes against for instance keeping cows, lamb, pigs, etc. in big cities.

When you go through airport screening, they specifically ask you whether you've been to farms recently IIRC. Not sure if they asked specifically about livestock though but of course these were measures taken with various livestock scares like Mad Cow disease, hoof and mouth, etc.
I am sure there are codes regarding common farm animals in the big cities. From what I have read this distinct virus is related to bats and snakes. If in fact they were selling live camels , wolves , koala bears in the center of a huge metropolis...don't believe that's allowed.
I have scene plenty of snakes in markets but don't recall any bats.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I don't think anyone yet knows the animal reservoir of 2019-nCoV. For SARS, civets were initially implicated, but it is now thought that the (wild) civets were infected by bats...so it's conveivable the same scenario here if it is indeed a bat reservoir. Bat infects XXX wild animal (probably a mammal), and this in turn gets captured and sold in the market...and facilitates transmission to humans.

tb
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:51 pm
Suspended

ebola is thought to come from monkeys and you have these fools visiting Monkey Beach and trying to pet wild monkeys.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:01 pm

ebola is thought to come from monkeys and you have these fools visiting Monkey Beach and trying to pet wild monkeys.
People have asked me before about monkeys in China..never seen them except at zoos. Find it hard to believe live bats are sold. Bats are notorious for carrying diseases not something you would want as a pet or surely not to eat.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DaileyB
Blogger laowhy86 has stated that he thinks the government has a strong tendency to underplay the severity of the virus. Also, he talked to a doctor friend who stated that the virus had spread to a city not mentioned by Chinese authorities. See https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VLp8CHeKQkl. (Why Conavirus is much worse than you think on Youtube)

Am concerned for my children's relatives who live in Wuhan.
That link doesn't point at anything, I think you meant to post this:

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
CMilk and Winston produced some great content while in China. Now they are fixing junk cars in San Diego. Their new youtube channel Worthless Whips
They still produce good content, even though they no longer live in China. I watch most of their videos.

Originally Posted by 889
Wuhan has been effectively quarantined: if you're there you can't leave for who knows how long.

Nobody knows how this will develop. But if the epidemic does spread, it's proper caution to assume other big cities will be similarly closed, hard as that is to practically imagine.

So myself, I'd strongly suggest anyone thinking of travelling to China in the coming weeks to think again and again. Especially if considering travel to places like Shanghai, Nanjing, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, or Shenzhen.

Remember that as with Wuhan, the government takes these quarantine measures without warning. You could just wake up one morning and find you are stuck.
My wife (who reads Chinese news and websites) told me that word got out about the Wuhan quarantine the night before it went into effect. And that the highway to Shanghai was jammed with cars at 1 in the morning. So it didn't exactly happen without warning...but that kinda defeats the purpose. They should have pounced on this thing as soon as it was identified as something more dangerous than a common sickness, told everyone in the city who feels ill to go in for medical treatment, immediately put people who come in under quarantine and watch them carefully to make sure they don't die, etc. The whole city should never have had to be put under quarantine because they should have quickly isolated the first patients and anyone who came into contact with those specific people 4+ weeks ago. Putting the city under quarantine now is like closing the barn door after half of the horses already got out.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jiejie
It is very likely that in a situation of travel warnings (as happened with SARS in 2003), airlines flying to China will offer penalty-free rebooking/date change, or change of destination, or vouchers of equal value for flights in their network. Outright cash refunds are less commonly offered. If your trip is not for a couple of months, I would wait for at least 4 weeks and then reassess.
And now we have a travel waiver. Which includes outright cash refunds too.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...29-2020-a.html

I'm not exactly sure how UA can offer a waiver on tickets to WUH though, given that they don't even fly there. I suppose they could have issued a 016 ticket on CA, but a lot of folks who were planning on going there might have purchased a separate ticket or have been planning to take the HSR.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:02 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by 889

Pretty surprised they gave 8h warning in Wuhan. Why would you want to give a bunch of sick people a warning to escape.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:12 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
KA axing Wuhan flights

Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:17 am

A disturbing but probably not atypical report in the HK Standard:

"Another netizen said he had left [Wuhan] with a friend. He said both of them were having fever. 'We’ve escaped the epidemic zone after taking some fever reducers. I’ll visit the doctor in Shanghai if my fever doesn’t go away a week later,' she wrote. She also wrote that they plan to visit the Disneyland before that."

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...uncontrollably
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:22 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Hoping it's a troll…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.