Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:40 am

My mind is boggled at some of the irresponsible communication styles -- The WHO (and all scientists) REALLY need to get some remedial communication help.

Her actual tweet isn’t too misleading: “2/2 ... on transmission from asymptomatic individuals are difficult to conduct, but the available evidence from contact tracing reported by Member States suggests that asymptomatically-infected individuals are much less likely to transmit the virus than those who develop symptoms”

But her interview statements: “seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward” followed by “It’s very rare” are pretty misleading. She should have known that would be taken by those with an agenda (and some without) as if all of the precautions, lockdowns, and “wear a mask even if you don’t feel sick” were useless, and as if “stay home if sick” is all we ever needed, when that really isn’t the case.

1) They’re making a big distinction between “asymptomatic” (never get symptoms) and “pre-symptomatic” (don’t have symptoms YET). Fine for scientific hindsight analysis, but the point all along is that you can spread it when you feel fine (right now) so need to take precautions (right now) even if you “don’t feel sick”.

2) I can’t find where they actually present the percentage data behind the “much less likely” statement, and note that like I said somewhere else they’re saying the *source* is less likely to transmit. The more important number to me is what percentage of *targets* are infected from either an asymptomatic carrier *or* a pre-symptomatic one. That number has to be pretty high, otherwise this thing wouldn’t be spreading since even the hardcore nonbelievers are going to avoid someone actively having COVID symptoms.

3) Tracking “symptoms” in hindsight is difficult, as she mentions in another tweet, because some of the symptoms are close to allergies and other illnesses. I’ve had some mild allergies recently that come and go and are *most likely* just that, but...if I test positive next week does that mean I count as “asymptomatic” or not? I suspect this effect is even higher in nursing homes and other places where it seems they took the most data.

To reiterate: The WHO is NOT saying that people who feel fine don’t transmit COVID-19!
adrianlondon and fransknorge like this.

Last edited by jmastron; Jun 9, 2020 at 9:58 am
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm inclined to guess that with about 70,000 deaths (do I remember that correctly?), maybe 50 times that many were infected (a case death rate of 2%), which would be 3,5000,000 in a city of about 11,000,000 population
The official death count for all of China is 4634 (according to Worldometer), so your math is quite a bit off.

Last edited by Temedar; Jun 9, 2020 at 9:42 am Reason: Added quote text
Old Jun 9, 2020, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Bergamo antibody testing shows 57% of a 10,000-person sample shows antibodies. Again caveats about the accuracy of antibody tests and all that.

More than half of Bergamo residents who submitted a blood sample tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies, health authorities in the northern Italian city reported Monday.

Out of nearly 10,000 Bergamo residents who had their blood tested between April 23 and June 3, 57% had antibodies, indicating they had come into contact with the virus and developed an immune response.
Health authorities said the sample size was "sufficiently broad" to be a reliable indicator of the presence of SARS-CoV-2 among Bergamo province's population.

Bergamo was the Italian city worst hit by COVID-19, with images of overflowing hospitals and bodies being carried away by trucks illustrating the horrifying impact of the pandemic.
https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-te...ies/a-53739727
Old Jun 9, 2020, 12:49 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
If this number is correct I think that does not bode well for the theory that kappa for COVID-19 would be 0.2-0.4, as such a low kappa and a R0 of 2 would mean herd immunity at 20-30%. Am I correct ?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Bergamo antibody testing shows 57% of a 10,000-person sample shows antibodies. Again caveats about the accuracy of antibody tests and all that.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-te...ies/a-53739727
In that case I think the conclusion is that serology is not reliable or that different studies are operating at different thresholds for positivity (depending on the assay). I cannot think of other explanations which, taken together, would explain such a great difference between Wuhan and Bergamo. Yes, sampling bias and differences in lockdown/population exposure might make some difference but surely not a 50% difference?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:13 pm

Hmmmm

Originally Posted by doctoravios
In that case I think the conclusion is that serology is not reliable or that different studies are operating at different thresholds for positivity (depending on the assay). I cannot think of other explanations which, taken together, would explain such a great difference between Wuhan and Bergamo. Yes, sampling bias and differences in lockdown/population exposure might make some difference but surely not a 50% difference?
I'm sure this will get moved, but here goes. I was deathly ill early March with suspected Covid. I was about 1/2 hour away from going to the ER. Somehow I knew if I went to the hospital, I wouldn't come home alive. I've had blood clots in my lungs, so I am familiar with unbelievable shortness of breath. Fever, headache, absolute exhaustion, nausea, ALL the symptoms. Mid-late March Son in law lost smell/taste and 12 hour fever. Daughter had shortness of breath, headache, fever, she was way more ill than he.

Of the 3 of us, he is the only one who tested positive for antibodies... Something is amiss. Is the assay threshold set intentionally high so there is a low number of positives being reported for poitical reasons??? High numbers of anything COVID related look bad. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I am very suspicious.
FAA1996, SamirD and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by stan1162
I'm sure this will get moved, but here goes. I was deathly ill early March with suspected Covid. I was about 1/2 hour away from going to the ER. Somehow I knew if I went to the hospital, I wouldn't come home alive. I've had blood clots in my lungs, so I am familiar with unbelievable shortness of breath. Fever, headache, absolute exhaustion, nausea, ALL the symptoms. Mid-late March Son in law lost smell/taste and 12 hour fever. Daughter had shortness of breath, headache, fever, she was way more ill than he.

Of the 3 of us, he is the only one who tested positive for antibodies... Something is amiss. Is the assay threshold set intentionally high so there is a low number of positives being reported for poitical reasons??? High numbers of anything COVID related look bad. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I am very suspicious.
I think they want high number in most case since they mean the population has more people potentially immune and the higher the number of cases the lower the death rate. My understanding it's just a hard test to get right and they don't want to tell people that they are potentially immune when they aren't.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I think they want high number in most case since they mean the population has more people potentially immune and the higher the number of cases the lower the death rate. My understanding it's just a hard test to get right and they don't want to tell people that they are potentially immune when they aren't.
Most likely serology assays (even those based on robust quantitative methods such as CLIA and ECLIA) are not measuring presence of antibodies in a reproducible way. Or, there genuinely is a lack of a significant antibody response even in serious illness and it mostly comes down to a cell-mediated response. Personally, I think it is unlikely that someone with serious symptoms would have zero binding antibodies (though it is possible that not everyone mounts a neutralising antibody response). As GadgetFreak says, I think at this stage it is more likely to be explained by technical limitations and a lack of understanding of the immune response which may take years to even remotely understand.

Either way, any hope of a reliable method to determine previous infection is out of the window for the time being. Perhaps it will require a combination of antibody testing and cytokine assays (like ELISPOT)?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond

Nothing political. This is all new and each test out there (of the 80 or so available) looks at different thresholds and different antibodies.
Re-test your serum at a different lab that is using a different reference test.
Roche and Abbott are solid ones. Don't use a rapid test kit (which looks like a home pregnancy test).
Make sure specificity is above 98% and on this list: https://www.centerforhealthsecurity....-COVID-19.html
cesco.g and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is the Roche ECLIA test already on the US/EU market?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Is the Roche ECLIA test already on the US/EU market?
It is certainly available in the EU. Just be aware that even the Roche test is having some issues with sensitivity. It was licensed based on a sensitivity of 100% but tested in just 29 patients.

https://diagnostics.roche.com/global...ars-cov-2.html

Public Health England has done further tests and found the sensitivity has been overestimated and they make it around 86%:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...logical-assays

However, this is with quite a high cut-off point which PHE argue could be reduced slightly.

N.B. Bear in mind that the reference standard was a previous positive RT-PCR test. This is comparing apples and pears (i.e. PCR vs serology) and perhaps a more meaningful comparison would be an antibody neutralisation assay. But they are quite time consuming/resource intensive to do.
cesco.g and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does anyone understand the new immunity test that was developed by Mayo Clinic?

It seems to be garbled on local TV news, but supposedly tests whether the person has had COVID-19 and is presumably somewhat immune from getting it again, but the test isn't based on antibodies. I don't know whether it's a blood test.

ADDED: A local reporter describes it as a test "to identify specifically neutralizing antibodies" that can also be used to pick the best therapeutic plasma donors. It's being described as a subset of more specific antibodies that are able to inactivate the COVID-19 virus by itself.

Another local reporter has repeated that the test isn't based on antibodies but rather the "proteins produced."

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 12, 2020 at 10:50 am
Old Jun 12, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Just to point out that not all delays in the vaccine game are due to the development of an effective agent An interesting story from Reuters.

Exclusive: Bottlenecks? Glass bottle makers prepare for Covid-19 Vaccine

"Drugmakers are warning of a potential shortage of vials to bottle future COVID-19 vaccines, but their rush to secure supplies risks making matters worse, some major medical equipment manufacturers warn...................
Corning this week won $204 million in U.S. government funding to boost output of its vials for COVID-19 vaccines and treatments. That came a day after the U.S. government awarded $143 million to SiO2 Materials Science to boost production of its vials and syringes."

Many don't appreciate just how complex the development of a supply chain is or what goes into producing a treatment (besides the expected research and development ).
This is just a little unknown story of how government and industry are working together to produce the supply and logistics necessary to carry out the treatment (if it occurs) using vaccines.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Behind a paywall for many: https://www.wsj.com/articles/before-...it-11591959600
Looks again at why some people have innate T-cell immunity to SARS-CoV2

Highlights....
A team of scientists at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology in California looked at blood samples from 20 people who came down with Covid-19 and subsequently recovered. Most had only mild symptoms.

The team found that when they reintroduced synthesized bits of the virus to the subjects’ blood they mobilized white blood cells known as helper T-cells that coordinate a broad immune response to the infection. A second type of T-cell that seeks out and destroys cells hijacked by the virus was detected in most subjects, the authors wrote in a peer-reviewed paper published in the scientific journal Cell last month.

The finding dispels some of the worries people had that the virus that causes Covid-19 wasn’t capable of triggering a forceful immune response, said Alessandro Sette, a professor of infectious disease and vaccine research at La Jolla and one of the study’s lead authors. The virus has infected at least seven million people world-wide and killed more than 400,000, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

The team also tested the blood drawn from 20 volunteers between 2015 and 2018, long before the coronavirus responsible for Covid-19 appeared, and found a similar immune reaction in around half of those subjects when their blood was exposed to the virus.

It isn’t just the team at La Jolla who have noticed this effect. Scientists in Singapore found that some people who came down more than a decade ago with SARS, caused by a closely related coronavirus, were able to muster their T-cells to fight the Covid-19 attacker. Researchers in Germany have also noted the presence of T-cells able to combat the virus in healthy donors, possibly a result of getting a cold.

The theory has myriad implications. It may suggest there is a degree of inbuilt human resistance to the bug that lowers the threshold for herd immunity, when the virus can no longer find enough susceptible hosts to keep spreading. It may also offer clues as to why some places have been hit harder by Covid-19 than others, or why some people end up on ventilators and others barely notice they are infected.

Dr. Sette and other scientists involved in researching Covid-19 say, however, that these findings are preliminary and further work is needed to fully understand how the virus interacts with its human hosts.
Loren Pechtel and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:31 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
FlyBitcoin: have you seen any research on peptide presentation by antigen to T-Cell associated with SARS-COV-2 ? I have in mind something similar to how HLA-B27 give a natural immunity to influenza A, HIV-1, hepatitis C and Epstein Barr .
https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/fu...-032414-112110

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.