Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:54 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Turkey, welcome to the club!
SINGAPORE: A passenger who arrived in Singapore from Istanbul on a Turkish Airlines flight tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday (Mar 4).
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...virus-12502968
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:39 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
[Redacted quote from deleted post]

... from the Japan thread, some details of the plan to handle the Grand Princess

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...grand-princess

seems like the US is doing the same limited approach that Japan tried. I suppose the possible good news would be if testing is negative, it's been 15 days since the now deceased passenger disembarked.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 5, 2020 at 12:56 am
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: BA - Blue
[Redacted quote of deleted post]

This is what I don't understand: there is a clear understanding that if there is infrastructure collapse or almost collapse radical measures costing trillions of dollars is justified. BUT, if one could, with $100B prevent this or minimise risk of same, that is not worth engaging in? Quarantining the whole country when there are a million cases, let alone 10M, is way too late...no quarantine can be absolute: people need to buy food, essential services still need to be provided. It will radically slow things down, but since the base number of infected is so high, it will buy you a few weeks at most. Radical social distancing plans, including mandating (with gov subsidy) workers who exhibit even mild symptoms to stay at home, at the early part of the epidemic, when there are only hundreds or a few thousand cases at most (a la China), will buy you many months of time, AND won't bring things to a complete halt...it will have huge economic consequences, but it (may) won't result in infrastructure collapse.

tb

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 5, 2020 at 7:32 am
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:11 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Japan to quarantine arrivals from China (incl. Hong Kong & Macao) and South Korea

Japan will request all people arriving from South Korea and China to be quarantined for two weeks at designated facilities in Japan... The measure will take effect at 12:00 a.m. on March 9 and last through March 31.

Flights from China and South Korea will be able to land only in Narita airport near Tokyo and Osakas Kansai airport.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XmDp6MqnyhA
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
One picture is more than a thousand words

Just back from 15 day cruise
I know (bad photoshop job) when I see it.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Germany has now more infections than Japan.

US still a black hole as we don't know what is happening with the testing, maybe the CDC will update some numbers today.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Visconti
Ok. Should we do this now with 200 reported infections, or wait until we test for 1,000? And, then only in infected areas or everywhere in the Nation?
Do we close the barn door when 1 of 10 horses has escaped, or do we wait for five more to run out?

The numbers have gone up in all countries, so I don’t know what we would be waiting for.

And it probably does make sense to do it regionally. It is a big country, not all schools nationwide are equally at risk.

One school district in WA state is closing all schools for two weeks and is switching to online education for that period.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...online-monday/
Loren Pechtel likes this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Mar 5, 2020 at 9:03 am
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by invisible
I know (bad photoshop job) when I see it.
Yes. Photoshop conveys the message of typing 1000 words. Probably more effectively.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR

Princess Cruises to test fewer than 100 for coronavirus; thousands may have been exposed

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ts/4962112002/

They will only test 62 passengers who were on the cruise together with the two infected passengers on a previous leg, and 11 other passengers and 10 crew who show symptom.
I did not see anything mentioned the fact that 1200 or so crew members also shared the trip with the two infected on the previous leg. (one of the two is the first death in California, the other is in serious condition)
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:28 am

How would CA handle this?

1. Not wait 14 days?
2. Wait 14 days?
3. Reset the 14 days with an additional positive?
4. Release to where? A military base? Hotel? In Buses?
5. Self quarantine under guard or on honor system?
6. Jail time for any violation of quarantine?

Or, just pick a date and release everyone after a "X" amount of negatives? You can't test everyone, as had been the issue in Japan? I'd imagine stakes are high at what's potentially at stake here.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:56 am

[Redacted quote of deleted post]

Last I read was no one will leave the ship until the initial test results are back. There is no information on how long this will take... probably a few days? Not sure what they would do if they found a few infected or none infected. I will be up in SF in a couple of weeks staying at the Fisherman's Wharf which is pretty close to the cruise port. Wonder if I would still see the ship there.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 5, 2020 at 1:26 pm
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:25 pm

Princess Cruises to test fewer than 100 for coronavirus; thousands may have been exposed

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ts/4962112002/

They will only test 62 passengers who were on the cruise together with the two infected passengers on a previous leg, and 11 other passengers and 10 crew who show symptom.
I did not see anything mentioned the fact that 1200 or so crew members also shared the trip with the two infected on the previous leg. (one of the two is the first death in California, the other is in serious condition)
Originally Posted by Need
Last I read was no one will leave the ship until the initial test results are back. There is no information on how long this will take... probably a few days? Not sure what they would do if they found a few infected or none infected. I will be up in SF in a couple of weeks staying at the Fisherman's Wharf which is pretty close to the cruise port. Wonder if I would still see the ship there.
Channel 7 said the test supposedly will be done very quickly at the Richmond lab. The helicopter carrying the test kits just landed on the ship.
But no plan now to test the 1200 crew members who were also on board in the earlier leg with the 2 sick passengers. I guess if they found some positives among the 83 to be tested, they may test everyone else?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Much as certain things come into play in States of Emergency (state, Federal funding access etc) there are public health laws that can come into play in case of pandemic. I'm not fluent in the literature but have read some. Decent primer here (US) https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...g-pandemic.htm And yes, isolation & quarantine are mentioned specifically.....
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Channel 7 said the test supposedly will be done very quickly at the Richmond lab. The helicopter carrying the test kits just landed on the ship.
But no plan now to test the 1200 crew members who were also on board in the earlier leg with the 2 sick passengers. I guess if they found some positives among the 83 to be tested, they may test everyone else?
They need to test everyone who got off the ship, all the people on the ship from the previous leg and all the crew. Then quarantine and re-evaluate after the results and time.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:33 pm

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/lowe...irus-concerns/

Lowell High School has closed for the remainder of the week after it learned a relative of a student is being treated for COVID-19, otherwise known as the novel coronavirus.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...t-15109214.php

California on Thursday became the latest state to order insurance companies to waive out-of-pocket costs for coronavirus testing.

Last edited by Visconti; Mar 5, 2020 at 5:06 pm Reason: added additional article...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.