Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
FYI all. DO NOT trust CCP's data. They are not allowing doctors to report numbers anymore. New cases and deaths are not decreasing in China, (Source, my MD friends there)
karenkay and calville like this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by eagle215
FYI all. DO NOT trust CCP's data. They are not allowing doctors to report numbers anymore. New cases and deaths are not decreasing in China, (Source, my MD friends there)
Well, trusting the ~100 number of cases that are currently reported in the USA is also not very smart!

In one case the country tests, but doesn't report (if above quote is true).
In the other case, they don't even bother to test.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Can I ask a question? Why care if people are tested or not? If they have influenza or corona does it make a huge difference? Each infected person will have to go through whatever they have to go through whether they are tested or not. Some weak people or people with a particular dangerous health issue could die from either virus. Maybe Corona spreads faster but why would that make such a massive difference? Some more people will be sick for a week or two and some smaller number will die.

I'm going to soon pass through major train stations in France, then CDG, LHR and JFK and then take the subway to work in mid-town Manhattan. I've already decided that I'm probably going to catch the Coronavirus somewhere along the way. I'll be sick for a week or two, just like I would with influenza. I can suffer through it locked in my own apartment where I have a stock of Campbells soup and running water. If that happens, maybe I will wear a mask if I go out to protect others. But other than that I don't see why the world should come to an end? What am I missing?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Well, trusting the ~100 number of cases that are currently reported in the USA is also not very smart!

In one case the country tests, but doesn't report (if above quote is true).
In the other case, they don't even bother to test.
I agree, but what I am saying is that it is not contained, not decreasing and is a risk if you plan to travel there. Just like a risk if you go to the US whom I do not trust either, especially with the current admin.
calville likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Can I ask a question? Why care if people are tested or not? If they have influenza or corona does it make a huge difference? Each infected person will have to go through whatever they have to go through whether they are tested or not. Some weak people or people with a particular dangerous health issue could die from either virus. Maybe Corona spreads faster but why would that make such a massive difference? Some more people will be sick for a week or two and some smaller number will die.

I'm going to soon pass through major train stations in France, then CDG, LHR and JFK and then take the subway to work in mid-town Manhattan. I've already decided that I'm probably going to catch the Coronavirus somewhere along the way. I'll be sick for a week or two, just like I would with influenza. I can suffer through it locked in my own apartment where I have a stock of Campbells soup and running water. If that happens, maybe I will wear a mask if I go out to protect others. But other than that I don't see why the world should come to an end? What am I missing?
Some people prefer to prepare, some don't and that's fine, however be prepared for consequences if you are not prepared or unwilling to proceed with caution. Testing is important because some people do not want to get sick,die or be inconvenienced.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Testing is important because some people do not want to get sick,die or be inconvenienced.
Testing does not prevent you from getting sick, dying or being inconvenienced. It only tells you what you already know or will soon find out.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:29 am

Testing does not prevent you from getting sick, dying or being inconvenienced. It only tells you what you already know or will soon find out.
It tells you a pattern so you can avoid going to such places. I really could care less if you go where ever get sick and/or die. However others don't want to.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
It only tells you what you already know or will soon find out.
The consequences of testing positive for COVID-19 will make one far less likely to infect others.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... But other than that I don't see why the world should come to an end? What am I missing?
One off here and there is ok but if all of us get sick at once and even small % develops complications it will overload healthcare system capacity.. people who need medical care for other chronic conditions as well as the elderly will face mortality rates in double digits - many will die - see wuhan
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It tells you a pattern so you can avoid going to such places.
Only if the data is accurate. Which is in question now. And there is influenza already in nearly every country on the planet. Been that way for years. And it kills people. But that doesn't stop us from traveling.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
One off here and there is ok but if all of us get sick at once and even small % develops complications it will overload healthcare system capacity.. people who need medical care for other chronic conditions as well as the elderly will face mortality rates in double digits - many will die - see wuhan
I'm not saying Coronavirus isn't very bad. I'm just asking what good is testing going to do? They clearly aren't testing everyone already. So why go through a massive effort to test everyone?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: various

What you're missing is a sense of responsibility and concern for the greater good. Let me use my situation as an example. I'm currently in the USA caregiving for two elderly parents in their 80's. Both with underlying conditions and one with active cancer. While we can keep sequestered to a great extent, I have to go out in public periodically to get supplies, fresh food, etc. If I come in contact with you, who is carrying a virus even with few or no symptoms, I could bring this virus home to them....and it would likely kill them. Influenza at least has some proven antivirals that can be given to blunt the disease impact if given early enough, but this one doesn't. I'm also in a part of the USA that has poor quality and availability of medical care.

At this troubled time, everyone should consider the impact of their actions on others, and not be so selfishly individualistic.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
The US tests debacle and overall lack of coordination is truly terrifying.

Another example
dhacker, karenkay, narvik and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie
What you're missing is a sense of responsibility and concern for the greater good. Let me use my situation as an example. I'm currently in the USA caregiving for two elderly parents in their 80's. Both with underlying conditions and one with active cancer. While we can keep sequestered to a great extent, I have to go out in public periodically to get supplies, fresh food, etc. If I come in contact with you, who is carrying a virus even with few or no symptoms, I could bring this virus home to them....and it would likely kill them. Influenza at least has some proven antivirals that can be given to blunt the disease impact if given early enough, but this one doesn't. I'm also in a part of the USA that has poor quality and availability of medical care.

At this troubled time, everyone should consider the impact of their actions on others, and not be so selfishly individualistic.
The mask I will wear is my sense of responsibility to the greater good. And it seems that the US is not really doing much testing anyways. By the time they ramp up testing for a hundred million people, we will have learned a lot more about battling this virus, or so I predict.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
The US tests debacle and overall lack of coordination is truly terrifying.

Another example
https://twitter.com/into_the_brush/s...682979840?s=20

Way, way upthread a few weeks ago, somebody asked about China and "fever clinics." These are designated places to go in each Chinese city, for people who either have a fever or believe they may be harboring this virus. In Beijing, there are over 100 locations, most of them were connected to hospitals (usually a designated place in a wing or separate building on hospital grounds). The fever clinics locations list was well-publicized. along with the warning that all other doctors offices, clinics, other medical facilities would turn them away if they had a fever or suspicion of virus.

This type of idea should IMMEDIATELY be implemented all over the USA, by local and state health authorities. Having potential virus-infected people going willy-nilly to every possible medical facility is just a recipe for spreading disaster.

Shaking my head in disbelief at the multiple displays of incompetence in the US right now on this virus situation. We are in for a rough ride, I'm afraid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.