Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by invisible
There are differences between school closures and 'canceling of humanity by July'. I'm sure you agree.
I've known of some USA schools that have closed temporarily in response to particularly bad absence rates during flu epidemics. It wouldn't surprise me if a few places have done something similar for measles. Part of the SOP seems to be that the school is thoroughly cleaned while it's closed.

ADDED in response to the comment a couple posts above regarding the lack of media coverage in the USA: I've been finding that the financial news networks tend to have the most and most consistent coverage, including updated statistics, although with an emphasis on the impact on financial markets (not surprisingly).

CNBC in the USA has been broadcasting a half-hour special program on the WuFlu (not what they call it) early every weekday evening. It tends to be a mixture of numbers, interviews with health officials and other experts, and "human interest" stories of people, generally Americans, caught in Wuhan/China, on the Wuhan Princess, or in quarantine.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 22, 2020 at 10:27 am
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I actually really stunned by the lack of media attention to this in the US.
There's a general lack of attention to this, because it's all happening "over there somewhere" [at the moment].
Once it hits closer to home, they'll pounce on it like crazy.

Just look at this thread; although lively, it's more-or-less only visited by the same two dozen FT members.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by narvik
There's a general lack of attention to this, because it's all happening "over there somewhere" [at the moment].

Just look at this thread; although lively, it's more-or-less only visited by the same two dozen FT members.
I've been finding generally more awareness of the situation here in the USA than I would have expected, despite national network news and cable news tending to focus on impeachment proceedings and now the Democtratic primary elections almost exclusively.

However, I was shocked when a professor of pediatric infectious diseases tried to tell me very recently that WuFlu has a lower mortality rate than the regular flu, which is 20% he insisted. Maybe this is someone who never understood decimals, but anyone associated with a med school should know better.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Many

I certainly hope we're being insane and overly paranoid, but I don't think we are.
narvik, wrp96 and nk15 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I actually really stunned by the lack of media attention to this in the US. Sure, it is getting some coverage but not a lot. Even warnings like this from the CDC and ones from NIAID aren’t getting much or in some cases, any, national news coverage from what I’ve been noticing.
My guess is that next week this will change, radically, especially after the Italy news. I would also expect a pandemic declaration by Friday, if anything to perhaps assist with funding allocation to the problem, as this may be a relevant prerequisite?.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I'm trying to post a bit less often, since obsessively checking FT is probably not the healthiest type of behaviour!

Fauci has come out and said we are on the brink of a pandemic, and I think that now, no matter what extreme measures Korea and Italy engage in, or how head in the sand Japan may be, we're going to be heading that way regardless. Iran must have many hundreds or possibly thousands of cases, and I suspect they "did a Wuhan" and suppressed information flow until the elections yesterday.

Until the CDC notice alluded to above, I was extremely concerned that US also has its head in the sand: that the administration was really worried about the 13 or whatever cases imported from DP made me think they have no idea what's around the corner. Luckily, it seems that the actual professionals are appropriately concerned. I still think the lack of centralised infrastructure for healthcare in the US is a vulnerability, and the typical "keep alive at all costs" approach to individual-centric healthcare delivery -- when resources are not stretched to the limit, and extremely limiting, there may be some argument for it, but I think we are going to have to make some hard choices if the Spring weather isn't on our side soon. I say this despite having elderly and vulnerable relatives in the US who have benefitted enormously from US-style medicine.

In terms of what we can do: I've stocked up on hand sanitizer! In reality, if we enter a full-blown pandemic, and by that I mean (arbitrarily for this point only) >1% of global population infected, it will be really, really hard to avoid getting infected unless one is one of those wood cabin survivalists. For the majority of people, that won't be a major threat, from what we know. But it's clear that although the elderly and those with co-morbidities are most at risk, it isn't the full picture. The single best preparedness on a governmental basis is to try to reduce onward transmission, acknowledging it won't be able to contain or eliminate, but in the hope that infrastructure doesn't get overwhelmed. Having 10-20% of the population infected in total will have very different consequences if 90% of those are infected within 1 month, or over a 4 month period.

In terms of minimising risk in e.g. high-rise buildings, I'm not an engineer, and jiejie has made some sensible suggestions. I think avoiding the lift if possible, or at the very least avoiding touching lift buttons with one's hand may be of some minor benefit. Avoid crowded public transport is another strategy: these suggestions aren't that easy to implement in real life.

Re: the question about those who are asymptomatic: not clearing the virus. I don't agree. From what we know, everyone either clears the virus or dies. However, for asymptomatic people, we have no idea how long viral shedding will last, and to what degree. I would still be surprised if it's more than 1-2 weeks, but we just don't know enough from the data I've seen.

And I do think we'll have to get used to working/ learning etc in a modified way over the next 6-12 months. If anyone wants to go to the cinema, now is the time: may not be a good idea in a couple of weeks. Same probably goes for the gym etc. In the rich North/ West our lives just haven't been disrupted to any significant degree in 75 years. I don't think this will be armageddon, but I think it will be an uncomfortable time.

Last thought: I'm still shocked that the travel advisories in place world-wide have not been revised. Israel just stated a large group of Korean tourists have been confirmed with COVID-19 upon return to Korea. Iran/Italy/ Korea/ Japan now all pose much, much greater threats than non-Hubei China (30 cases last 24hrs vs. 200) and with a fraction of the population of China.

tb
notquiteaff, narvik and nk15 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nk15
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fe...cid=spartandhp

Two news here, they wanted to transfer the COVID-19 patients from Travis AF to a dilapidated abandoned building in CA, and they were also blocked by a judge. The US is struggling already to deal with their very few cases, what is going to happen next...very unprepared...The world is in denial and not ready or interested in dealing with COVID-19.
A federal court blocked efforts Friday night to transfer dozens of patients who tested positive for the coronavirus from Travis Air Force Base in Northern California to an empty building in Southern California.”

Dozens? How many do they have at Travis? I thought the positive cases from the DP evacuation had been sent to Nebraska and various NorCal hospitals, and the US overall only has 35 cases according to Worldometers.info ....

Perhaps they should lease a Motel 6 somewhere in the boonies of Northern California. Sounds like that would be more comfortable for the patients, easier to transport people to, and they don’t have shared HVAC

Only downside: no central entrances.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Should US start to inspect all those rural hospitals that were closed in recent years to prepare for the possible outbreak?

Last edited by rdchen; Feb 22, 2020 at 10:50 am
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: various
Key excerpts from the msn.com article linked above (my bolding):

"City officials said they were made aware of plans Thursday evening by regional representatives from state and local health agencies to transfer 30 to 50 patients to a building there. The patients would have arrived as early as Sunday, according to the court filing."

"An email to Travis Air Force Base was not immediately returned. Representatives from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services said they were not aware of the temporary injunction nor of plans to transfer patients from Northern to Southern California this weekend."

Dept of HHS/ CDC has jurisdiction over these evacuees. Not sure why state/local health agencies would think they have the power to shift people around. Not sure if this is poor reporting or some sort of attempted power grab going on. If so: Rule of Thumb is Feds always win, but California is often slow to realize this.

I'm also confused by the "dozens testing positive comment." Have a bunch more test results come back in the last 12-18 hours that show this? The CDC teleconference statement was straightforward--about 18 confirmed positives (5 of which are at Travis) and 10 more positives from Japan testing (pending additional US testing, and location of these people wasn't specified)--as was the comment that they expected to see more positives.

Or did CDC not come clean on the actual number of positives? The teleconference was Friday, the plan was supposedly got wind of on Thursday night per this site:
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ents-transfer/

Last edited by jiejie; Feb 22, 2020 at 11:08 am
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
It seems prudent then to stockpile supplies at a country house with the intention of (if possible) heading there to self-quarantine then. My worry is the ability to get out of the city if things get bad. I have a car, but will roads be jammed with people trying to flee. My HVAC units are contained within my apartment, and I have a good amount of space and my own outdoor space to fend off cabin fever, but I worry about the gaps under the doors or as mentioned the vent shaft that runs through the building, might transport virus from unit to unit.
If things get bad, I start thinking preventative precautions within an apartment building will be relatively difficult, if not futile, and as good as the whole building and residents themselves, which will be uncontrollable. A country house (or a house) with supplies may be the best option, for those who have this option, but this will be unrealistic and/or very burdensome for most people, especially on such a short notice (and in general). So then, for most people the solution will be reasonable precautions, for whatever they are worth, acceptance (so you don't drive yourself mad), and reliance on your immune system as your best defense.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Well, looking at the Wiki - there are a LOT of COVID-19 threads that have been started in any of the potentially appropriate fora here. I appreciate that some people are still coming and posting here - this is the only thread on the topic I'm following right now. (I'm following other sources of news, too)
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Fairview Developmental Center is a state owned facility.

Originally Posted by jiejie
Key excerpts from the msn.com article linked above (my bolding):

"City officials said they were made aware of plans Thursday evening by regional representatives from state and local health agencies to transfer 30 to 50 patients to a building there. The patients would have arrived as early as Sunday, according to the court filing."

"An email to Travis Air Force Base was not immediately returned. Representatives from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services said they were not aware of the temporary injunction nor of plans to transfer patients from Northern to Southern California this weekend."

Dept of HHS/ CDC has jurisdiction over these evacuees. Not sure why state/local health agencies would think they have the power to shift people around. Not sure if this is poor reporting or some sort of attempted power grab going on. If so: Rule of Thumb is Feds always win, but California is often slow to realize this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: various
Ultimately, I think the only way they can get some semblance of control over this is for everyone to stop traveling. Starting with international travel and possibly extending to intercity travel in certain countries. Unfortunately, nobody wants to be making the call and causing massive economic disruption.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by nk15
If things get bad, I start thinking preventative precautions within an apartment building will be relatively difficult, if not futile, and as good as the whole building and residents themselves, which will be uncontrollable. A country house (or a house) with supplies may be the best option, for those who have this option, but this will be unrealistic and/or very burdensome for most people, especially on such a short notice (and in general). So then, for most people the solution will be reasonable precautions, for whatever they are worth, acceptance (so you don't drive yourself mad), and reliance on your immune system as your best defense.
Assuming I have a house with a well on the property that's a short drive from my city, reasonable to stock some food and meds there and plan on riding it out?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rdchen
Should US start to inspect all those rural hospitals that were closed in recent years to prepare for the possible outbreak?
Are they anything but a dusty shell? Or were they mothballed for future (perhaps emergency) re-activation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.