Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

PSA: Copa will not notify you of equipment/layout changes affecting selected seats

PSA: Copa will not notify you of equipment/layout changes affecting selected seats

Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

For instance, you may have selected for your family four nice "Premium" seats on a Copa 737 Max 9 type 2, only to have Copa silently change the equipment to a 737 Max 9 type 1 with a different seating layout in which your selected seat numbers are not longer Premium seats but are now "Convenient" seats that do not recline (literally the worst seats on the plane, according to seatmaps.com), except for seats that you may have had in Row 11, which does not exist on the type 1, resulting in said passenger(s) having no seat assignment at all. Copa won't alert you to this, and if you wait until a couple of days before your flight to log in and double check, you'll find that it's too late to select any decent substitute seats. Only "solution" that I can think of is to frequently check online to see if there's been a change ... but realistically, after doing that a few times and finding no change, who is going to keep checking regularly?

Last edited by mc510; Nov 16, 2023 at 2:47 pm
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mc510
For instance, you may have selected for your family four nice "Premium" seats on a Copa 737 Max 9 type 2, only to have Copa silently change the equipment to a 737 Max 9 type 1 with a different seating layout in which your selected seat numbers are not longer Premium seats but are now "Convenient" seats that do not recline (literally the worst seats on the plane, according to seatmaps.com), except for seats that you may have had in Row 11, which does not exist on the type 1, resulting in said passenger(s) having no seat assignment at all. Copa won't alert you to this, and if you wait until a couple of days before your flight to log in and double check, you'll find that it's too late to select any decent substitute seats. Only "solution" that I can think of is to frequently check online to see if there's been a change ... but realistically, after doing that a few times and finding no change, who is going to keep checking regularly?
Or subscribe to Expert Flyer and get aircraft change alert notifications so you know when your aircraft changes.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Or subscribe to Expert Flyer and get aircraft change alert notifications so you know when your aircraft changes.
Good tip, thanks. That might be the only way to be certain of being notified of an equipment change that messes up seat assignments, but boy it kind of rankles to have to pay $10/month for the privilege, especially as an infrequent flyer.

Actually, looking at Expert Flyer, I'm not even sure that a premium subscription with an "equipment change" alert would have helped. It doesn't seem like the system can distinguish between the different LOPA versions of a given aircraft model, which is what happened with this Copa flight.

Last edited by mc510; Nov 26, 2023 at 11:17 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.