Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

COPA PTY lounge has nothing to eat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COPA PTY lounge has nothing to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador , CM Presidential, Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
There are snacks. Packaged cookies, mini pretzels, cheeses and that sort of thing

There are 2 other lounges in PTY:

The Lounge Panama by Global Lounge Network - big space, catered about the same as Copa lounge, showers are weak when I went there (only went once, as its nothing special overall). Its directly to the left after "Copa's" security. Can enter with priority pass etc

Tocumen Royal Saloon - small space but catered better than both of the above when I have been (not been in about a year or so, but there were sandwiches and soups, as well as fruit etc). It is LANDSIDE (before security, so if you are transiting then you would need to clear immigration and customs, which only takes a couple of minutes depending on the time of day). It is upstairs before the main/central security. Can enter with PP etc

I visit The Lounge in last December, for me the food option was better that Copa Club. I visit early in the mornig and get continental breakfast.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: QF, LM
Hi all,
last month I flew through PTY. My onwards flight was on American to Miami. I arrived early, and then went about finding the Copa lounge. My bad - I have traveled so little due to the whole Covid thing that I forgot that I had lost my stellar Star Alliance status, and was also travelling american. So I suddenly realized, with great shock, that I was in an airport with no lounge access.
It took me a few minutes to digest this new feeling. Was lost...
But then I tried alternatives that have not been required in a gazzillion years. I walked the part of the airport that all common folk do. I found a cafe, with toasted baguettes with ham and cheese, etc, the usual stuff. Eventually chose one such place and had to fork out about ten bucks for food. Again, something that is alien to me but it was good. Great place, nice food, a view of the airport crowds far more interesting than huddling in the lounge and just seeing a plethora of DYKWIA and other wannabes... I actually really enjoyed the experience.
It actually made me feel I have been missing out in hiding in lounges for years.
But then I recalled the glory things - such as the Qantas First lounge in Sydney, the metropolis that is the great lounge in Dubai. I love those too.
End of the day, my point is that the lounges in Panama are truly basic. Nothing to miss. Never, ever, spend a dollar to gain access.
Deeloveli likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:07 pm

Today @ CM lounge at PTY. Very crowded. Only packaged snacks - at least Planters peanuts were available. Water and coffee from machines. There is a bartender but looks as if only soft drinks, red and white wines and maybe some beer. Sad for CM's hub.
Venezuela-Miami and Milkman like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: UA MM etc
Copa PTY lounge food offerings still packaged snacks only; depressing. Went outside instead.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by juddles
pmarrsouth and Milkman, as I had some time today I researched this thing. Just for fun

You are both correct in that in many definitions, the split between North and South America lies somewhere between Colombia and Panama, even though Panama is in physical terms south of Colombia. (the exact line/split is fought over - from the Darien to the Panama canal. (It is not the simple modern country boundaries) Other definitions place Panama in Central America. The whole concept of "Central America" being a new thing. Others place it in South America...
So as such I bow to your somewhat supported assertion that Panama can be viewed as in "North America". But I also, as I love to argue (to learn, not to be a pain), also assert that the context of this argument is important. This is in a frequent flyer forum. We are talking airlines, and lounges, not geography. I doubt that most flyers think of Panama and thus Copa as a "North American' airline. You will not find COPA in Flyertalk's North American section....
you are all wrong and you are all right. Continents are meaningless and undefinable. Much of the world does not see a North and South America, but rather one “America”. It’s the reason a lot of people hate when people from the USA call themselves “American” (I’ve been .....ed at many times for this abroad). Some people, like those in the states, learn there are seven continents. Others learn 6, 5, 4 and you could make a case for 3. Are we defining by Continental plates? If so then Panama is in the Caribbean (and also Europe and Asia share a plate). Further, parts of Russia would be considered North America. Continental Plates seems like a rather cheap definition because it invalidates many of our preconceived ideas of what continents are. Map Men made a pretty good video on this topic
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:49 pm

Oh also, I typed that from the new Copa lounge in T2 at PTY, and while the lounge itself is very nice and modern - the food sucks.
Deeloveli likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by senatorbrown
Oh also, I typed that from the new Copa lounge in T2 at PTY, and while the lounge itself is very nice and modern - the food sucks.
I will pass in about a month. Hope things improve.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:11 am

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Here are a couple of pics from the new T2 lounge this weekend, taken mid-morning. Food was much better than the packaged-only stuff from the T1 lounge the last time I passed through. Place was crowded and so the pics aren't super detailed but at least you can see there are baked goods, yogurt, fruit.

Venezuela-Miami and DCAhome like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:13 am

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Also oatmeal and fast coffee machines.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by autobahnal
Here are a couple of pics from the new T2 lounge this weekend, taken mid-morning. Food was much better than the packaged-only stuff from the T1 lounge the last time I passed through. Place was crowded and so the pics aren't super detailed but at least you can see there are baked goods, yogurt, fruit.
Looks like T1 lounge pre-pandemic offerings, so definitely an upgrade.
autobahnal likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Wow, that looks like a positive change! I'll probably pass through PTY in October a few times, I'll check it out! Usually have been going to the Lounge using my Priority Pass. Excited to try out new T2!
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Wow, that looks like a positive change! I'll probably pass through PTY in October a few times, I'll check it out! Usually have been going to the Lounge using my Priority Pass. Excited to try out new T2!
I'm looking forward to visit too. I had a departing flight from T2 just a couple days before the new lounge opening, so I missed it!
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
The food (and bar) offering in T2 has definitely stepped up. I passed twice in the past weeks, and while it would have been ideal with some hot dishes like AV lounges around, it is a major improvement over the post-pandemic offering in T1, which was simply embarrassing.

Overall a very nice, quiet and most of all spacious lay out. Big step up form the zoo in T1.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I created this thread back in 2021 wondering if the food situation was a covid-relic. Now in 2023 I've been through both Copa lounges in PTY many times, and the food situation hasn't changed.

I'm left to wonder, is it a strategic business decision on Copa's part to not provide decent food options? And if so, why? Is it simply because they have a very competitive service that reliably connects the Americas, and thus they see no reason to compete with lounge food? Or some other reason?

It's just baffling to me that they have such a beautiful lounge with such terrible food, month after month.
sermasri likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador , CM Presidential, Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
I created this thread back in 2021 wondering if the food situation was a covid-relic. Now in 2023 I've been through both Copa lounges in PTY many times, and the food situation hasn't changed.

I'm left to wonder, is it a strategic business decision on Copa's part to not provide decent food options? And if so, why? Is it simply because they have a very competitive service that reliably connects the Americas, and thus they see no reason to compete with lounge food? Or some other reason?

It's just baffling to me that they have such a beautiful lounge with such terrible food, month after month.
The food option still really poor, i think is only focus in get more profit with Priority pass, Lounge key, etc customer. I think the most people inside of Copa Club as pay customer (like Priority pass) . Is easy every time I went, the line for this passenger are long. But business class normally are less person.

i hope when open The Lounge on T2 the copa club will be less crowded, also The Lounge had best food option then Copa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.