Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

COPA PTY lounge has nothing to eat?

COPA PTY lounge has nothing to eat?

Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: QF, LM
Originally Posted by Milkman
Geographically everything north of Colombia is North America. Including the Caribbean.
If that is the case then Panama is definitely South American, as it is west, not north, of Colombia. All of Panama is south of Cartagena, Barranquilla, etc ...

Maybe we should be debating this at the bar in PTY
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Panama and El Salvador are both in North America
Originally Posted by Milkman
Geographically everything north of Colombia is North America. Including the Caribbean.
pmarrsouth and Milkman, as I had some time today I researched this thing. Just for fun

You are both correct in that in many definitions, the split between North and South America lies somewhere between Colombia and Panama, even though Panama is in physical terms south of Colombia. (the exact line/split is fought over - from the Darien to the Panama canal. (It is not the simple modern country boundaries) Other definitions place Panama in Central America. The whole concept of "Central America" being a new thing. Others place it in South America...
So as such I bow to your somewhat supported assertion that Panama can be viewed as in "North America". But I also, as I love to argue (to learn, not to be a pain), also assert that the context of this argument is important. This is in a frequent flyer forum. We are talking airlines, and lounges, not geography. I doubt that most flyers think of Panama and thus Copa as a "North American' airline. You will not find COPA in Flyertalk's North American section....
ijgordon and fifty_two like this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 5:18 am

Finally, despite all research that I can expend, Panama is not considered a North American country in any field other that old academic geographics. Which makes sense. Even in Lifemiles parlance Panama is considered southern Central America. Hence i feel your apologies even in silence
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA
Wikipedia puts Panama indisputably on the continent called North America.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: LH FTL, AY+ Gold, BAEC Silver, AF FB
Hi everyone!
Trying to bring this thread from its geographical excursus back to its original topic... food. I'm travelling through PTY tomorrow and back again on Monday and intended to drop by the lounge. Is there food or at least snacks available? Or are there any other alternative lounges?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by AxelJF
Hi everyone!
Trying to bring this thread from its geographical excursus back to its original topic... food. I'm travelling through PTY tomorrow and back again on Monday and intended to drop by the lounge. Is there food or at least snacks available? Or are there any other alternative lounges?
There are snacks. Packaged cookies, mini pretzels, cheeses and that sort of thing

There are 2 other lounges in PTY:

The Lounge Panama by Global Lounge Network - big space, catered about the same as Copa lounge, showers are weak when I went there (only went once, as its nothing special overall). Its directly to the left after "Copa's" security. Can enter with priority pass etc

Tocumen Royal Saloon - small space but catered better than both of the above when I have been (not been in about a year or so, but there were sandwiches and soups, as well as fruit etc). It is LANDSIDE (before security, so if you are transiting then you would need to clear immigration and customs, which only takes a couple of minutes depending on the time of day). It is upstairs before the main/central security. Can enter with PP etc
Venezuela-Miami and AxelJF like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:23 am

Further to Pmarrsouth,
Panama is not a place to enjoy lounges. They are all extremely basic. None are worth paying for.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by YadiMolina
Wikipedia puts Panama indisputably on the continent called North America.
Yadi, first off I love a sentence that includes the terms "wikipedia" and "indisputably" But as per previous posts, this is a frequent flyer forum. How many programs consider Panama part of "North America"? My experience is that they, quite understandably, place Panama in Central America. Maybe the airlines need to read wikipedia?
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: LH FTL, AY+ Gold, BAEC Silver, AF FB
Originally Posted by juddles
Further to Pmarrsouth,
Panama is not a place to enjoy lounges. They are all extremely basic. None are worth paying for.
Yup... absolutely correct. Rarely seen a lounge that was so crowded and offered such a basic atmosphere with what appeared to be randomly assembled furniture pieces as the Copa Club. Would be a euphemism to use the term "basic" to describe the snacks. Don't get me wrong, the pretzels and honey-roasted peanuts are great, but ... they could at least put out some boring cheese-ham sandwiches that you an find anywhere else. Expected a bit more in Copa's hub airport.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
The pretzels and honey roasted peanuts found in Copa Club are not "great". They are horrible. And they serve the same .... on board in business class as a "snack" on a 2h regional flight. Panama has tonnes of great fresh fruit that could be served at a very low cost, but instead they serve imported processed crap.
sermasri likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Turns out there is another lounge in PTY that is accessible with the Priority Pass. I had a short layover in PTY on Saturday. Since my arrival gate was right near the PTY Copa Club I popped in there for a 'to-go' peanut pack, then headed over to the real lounge where they served chicken and rice.

It seems mildly embarrassing to CM that a Priority Pass lounge offers superior food to a CM's flagship lounge, but I guess if there were a business case to change things, they would.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by juddles
Yadi, first off I love a sentence that includes the terms "wikipedia" and "indisputably" But as per previous posts, this is a frequent flyer forum. How many programs consider Panama part of "North America"? My experience is that they, quite understandably, place Panama in Central America. Maybe the airlines need to read wikipedia?
Yeah, i'll take Britannica over Wikipedia anytime.
North America begins in part of Mexico. Panam is definitely Central America.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Moderators: I imagine a similar thread must exist, but I could not find it. Please move if necessary.

A few days ago I transited through PTY and stopped by the Copa Club. Since PTY is Copa's home airport, I figured the PTY Copa Club would probably be one of their top lounges. To my surprise, there was no actual food available (only very limited snacks), extremely limited drinks, and mediocre wifi.

Is this typical for the PTY Copa Club? Or are these special 'covid' circumstances?
Typical, but I developed an acquired taste for the Codorni (tastes like Krug if you really focus ) and the mixed nuts (the lovely mix they serve in the air in J, is available by request at the bar, but try not to tell everyone).
IMissThe747 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:40 am

Typical

New flagship lounge being built in T2 and planned for an early 2020 opening. We will see what is on offer there!
Looking forward to it!
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:47 am

The Lounge Panama by Global Lounge Network - big space, catered about the same as Copa lounge, showers are weak when I went there (only went once, as its nothing special overall). Its directly to the left after "Copa's" security. Can enter with priority pass etc
Didn't noticed this one, definitely new for me. Thanks for the heads up!.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.