Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Panama International to Domestic Transit 2021 (COPA)

Old Jan 7, 21, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB

Guys,

Im planning a trip to David Panama on Copa with 2 separate tickets (I have a stop over in PTY for a couple of days before continuing on to PUJ). Im arriving PTY on Copa at 06:29 and want to take the first available Copa flight out to DAV @ 07:37. Per the website they allow it as it is a 1:08 connection.

Questions:

Do you have to collect your bags in PTY before continuing on to DAV just as how it is done in the USA between Int'l and Domestic connection?
Is this even possible with this type of time. Bags will need to be checked in?
How is the process now, with regards to the opening of the new terminal?
any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Jan 7, 21, 11:44 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Unsure about bags, but I believe that the will be checked all the way through - 2 separate tickets makes it more complicated of course

You WILL need to clear immigration when you arrive into PTY. This also means that you will need to have a covid test in the airport before they will let you leave the airport (or bring the results of one taken within the last 48 hours - check copa's site for more details). This process, from what I have been told, takes at least 30 minutes and could be longer depending on lines

Regarding the terminals, the domestic terminal is downstairs and outside of the main terminal building(s). If you were in the arrivals area (after going thru the doors after bag xrays/customs, coming from baggage carousels) take a right and head to the end of the building, the domestic terminal entrance is right outside that entrance/exit - it is well signposted. Unsure how much of the new terminal is being used, but it would be a longer walk if you arrived into the new terminal (from the plane to immigration)

I did a couple of trips to DAV at the end of December. The first agent told me to be at PTY a minimum of 3 hours before, after reminding them it was a domestic flight they changed it to 2 hours - I still lol'd on the phone. The first day I turned up at 6:15am and was in the boarding area approx 4 minutes later. The 2nd time I arrived at about 6:40am and the crew were directly behind me in security. I was not checking any bags

If you do have to collect bags, then you will have to recheck them in the main terminal - this can be chaos from what I am told (long lines)

IMO, I would not recommend a ~1 hour I-D connection in PTY during these times (there is only, at most, 1 flight to DAV a day currently, which you are probably aware of). Please trip report it if you decide to though!
KL808 and supervillian like this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 4:14 pm

Programs: CM Gold / *A Gold
To piggy back on @pmarrsouth good remarks, definitely give yourself a wide buffer to clear immigration/customs. I was there over the Christmas holiday and the line to the downstairs immigration/customs snaked all the way up the stairs to the 2nd floor just outside the Copa Club. Most international flights to PTY (USA, Canada, Europe) will arrive in the early afternoon, and you should be good. However knowing how things sometimes run on Caribbean time down there, they probably only staff immigration/customs with 1 agent in the morning LMAO.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: