Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

PZ > 0. Can I use a CM GPU on a UA flight(s)?

Old Dec 1, 19, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*

PZ =5 on an upcoming transatlantic flight. Can I use a GPU (the actual certificate) right now? Not talking about what will happen from the 4th Dec
Old Dec 1, 19, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
EDIT: Sorry, this is about Copa. I missed that somehow because the OP doesn't mention Copa in the first post. I didn't read the title clearly enough I guess.

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Dec 1, 19 at 6:31 pm
Old Dec 1, 19, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Thanks @RobOnLI, thats what I thought

I was using GPUs from Copa (Connect Global Upgrade certs) on a UA S fare. Copa had previously told me that you can use these Copa CGUs certs on UA fares below W due to the recent updates to both MileagePlus & ConnectMiles (pretty nice enhancement). They also updated their website with this information. Copa were unable to apply the certs on the itin, but said that miles (25K could be used)

So I booked a new flight in W (exact same itin for about $30 more) and Copa are now able to apply the vouchers. Itin is now upgraded for the TA legs

I love spending hours getting to QA Copa's systems gratis!

Next question. The trip is DUB-EWR-PTY RT, all on UA metal. PZ is not currently available on EWR-PTY. It is an RPU sector. As a GPU has been used on the TA sector, if PZ opens up on either EWR-PTY or PTY-EWR, can I call in and get it upgraded too (without further certs needed)? If no PZ space ever opens up (or I miss it), and there are somehow J seats left on the day of travel at the gate (good luck with that etc) would this be applicable for an upgrade? The passengers who are travelling hold no UA or *A status at all
Old Dec 1, 19, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
Next question. The trip is DUB-EWR-PTY RT, all on UA metal. PZ is not currently available on EWR-PTY. It is an RPU sector. As a GPU has been used on the TA sector, if PZ opens up on either EWR-PTY or PTY-EWR, can I call in and get it upgraded too (without further certs needed)? If no PZ space ever opens up (or I miss it), and there are somehow J seats left on the day of travel at the gate (good luck with that etc) would this be applicable for an upgrade? The passengers who are travelling hold no UA or *A status at all
These are CM questions.

If it were a UA GPU, you could use one for the entire itinerary, and waitlist it for segments that are currently PZ=0. I have no idea what the rules are for a CM GPU.
Old Dec 1, 19, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
These are CM questions.

If it were a UA GPU, you could use one for the entire itinerary, and waitlist it for segments that are currently PZ=0. I have no idea what the rules are for a CM GPU.
Neither do they
Old Dec 1, 19, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
Neither do they
I'm not surprised.

Per the CM website:

Upgrade certificates are valid for one segment; multiple certificates may need to be used to upgrade a complete itinerary.
Old Dec 1, 19, 4:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
These are CM questions....
Does appear so, so while the CM phone agents may be clueless, moving this to the CM forum should expose these questions to a community that may be able to help

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Sigh, so the Copa website is finally up now, it was down for hours

I was able to apply the GPUs to the original reservation, with the fare bucket of S, without any issue

Search this Thread