Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Just ticketed - 737 Max 9 PTY-LAX on Copa

Old Nov 19, 19, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes

Have watched the grounding of the 737 Max on a very limited basis in the past year. Think I've flown on it before with American, but don't remember. Not much of one to worry about whether a plane is going to crash or not due to airworthiness.

But need to fly back from PTY to USA in very late Feb 2020 and recalled reading about new business class on Copa Air. Was pleasantly surprised to see they have an even newer lie-flat business class. Looks like AA A321 TransCon type of product - which I've flown once in Business. Was getting all excited until I realized - it is on a 737 Max 9. Not worried about the safety, more so would the plane be back in service in time.

Some news today re: 737 Max and FAA - Nov 18. See that AA and Southwest and United - now pushing back to March 4th.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/united-joi...ry?id=67044740

Worst case my flight gets a 737-8 on the route? Any thoughts? I guess as a smaller carrier with only 6 - 737 max 9 - once it's re-approved by FAA....they can react faster? (pilot training, etc...)

Thoughts?
Old Nov 19, 19, 5:35 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Copa only updates the seatmap until the end of the next month with the correct aircraft. Beyond this itís the MAX9

While the MAX9 is grounded, you should get the newer 737-800, with the nicer recliner seats, personal screens etc (if it doesnít have a row 11 when the seatmap updates itself, itís this newer model)

IMO, once the MAX9 is flying again with Copa, they will have it full time on this route as before

ó-

Sorry I read it as being SFO route. Same above applies to the LAX route except that only some of the planes to/from LAX will be the MAX9. Others will be the newer 737-800 even after the MAX9 is back
EqualOpp likes this.

Last edited by pmarrsouth; Nov 19, 19 at 5:53 pm
Old Nov 22, 19, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/...hoo&yptr=yahoo
https://gulfnews.com/business/aviati...article_inline

Stephen Dickson, the FAA’s Administrator, said during the Dubai Airshow that the regulator is still doing audits on the Max’s software, and will continue with the certification process, before retraining pilots to use the new system. He said that it “remains to be seen” whether the Max’s will be allowed to fly again by January 2020, and that a March timeline would be “more conservative.”

Cross my fingers for late Feb then....looks like it'll be close.

As for the PTY-LAX route on my particular day...United says 737-900. Copa Air website for my flight says 737. Seatguru doesn't show the 737-900 as a configuration anymore. Only the 737-800.

we'll see..
Old Dec 18, 19, 6:39 am

Programs: None
Was reading an interesting thread on the Air Canada forum about this issue. Makes me think, what will Copa end up ordering some Airbus'? Or will they just ride it out?
Old Mar 14, 20, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat, CM nada
Saw this MAX 9 at PTY Terminal 2 today. The red tape at the nose is enclosing those AoA indicators, one of the main contributors to the grounding. One might hope they're being repaired and the planes prepared for a return to service. (The port side had the same tape.)

Brandinho1 and EqualOpp like this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 12:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Not sure what the OP meant by "an even newer lie-flat"...I don't think CM changed the J class on these MAX planes did they?

I had specifically booked paid J (a rare occurrence for me) to fly not only the MAX (I've tried to fly it multiple times now but it's been pulled out from under me even before the grounding with just routine equipment swaps) but to fly their new J product. I had kinda high hopes, not because CM has great service, I think it's decent, not because the seat looked amazing, cuz it looked good, not great. But because I wanted to fly lie flat on a narrowbody.

I think the world is gonna keep shifting towards narrowbodies as we get more of these 321XLR and MAX planes flying TATL and to South America, I really hope Copa can be a good test case as and example to be putting a good product forward in these planes. I've flown the old United J on the 757s and while it's not great, it's a big step up from the alternative. Flying down to BOG from EWR...recliner, half decent food. Flying BOG-IAH, a shorter route, way better seat, ability to sleep and better food.
Old Apr 1, 20, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Does Copa allow for cancellation of a ticket for refund if there's an equipment change? I'm looking at them for a trip to Buenos Aires but if the time comes and the Max is still grounded I wouldn't want to fly that route in a recliner for the money (I can have Avianca instead).
​​​​​​Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 20, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Silver Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, HH Diamond, EENational, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Does Copa allow for cancellation of a ticket for refund if there's an equipment change? I'm looking at them for a trip to Buenos Aires but if the time comes and the Max is still grounded I wouldn't want to fly that route in a recliner for the money (I can have Avianca instead).
​​​​​​Thanks!
Dont believe they will give you a refund for that. Judging by all thatís going on right now I wouldnít plan on the MAX flying anytime this year. Go with Avianca
Gig103 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 20, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Not sure what the OP meant by "an even newer lie-flat"...I don't think CM changed the J class on these MAX planes did they?

I had specifically booked paid J (a rare occurrence for me) to fly not only the MAX (I've tried to fly it multiple times now but it's been pulled out from under me even before the grounding with just routine equipment swaps) but to fly their new J product. I had kinda high hopes, not because CM has great service, I think it's decent, not because the seat looked amazing, cuz it looked good, not great. But because I wanted to fly lie flat on a narrowbody.

I think the world is gonna keep shifting towards narrowbodies as we get more of these 321XLR and MAX planes flying TATL and to South America, I really hope Copa can be a good test case as and example to be putting a good product forward in these planes. I've flown the old United J on the 757s and while it's not great, it's a big step up from the alternative. Flying down to BOG from EWR...recliner, half decent food. Flying BOG-IAH, a shorter route, way better seat, ability to sleep and better food.
Yes, COPA never had a lie-flat prior, but newer was meant to designate, a newer seat.

Took the flight in late Feb - and it was their oldest style of business class seat. It was comfy enough.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: